DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New Mavic Pro with loud gimbal knock on startup and yaw not centered

frostrambler

Reactions
Hello,

I purchased a Mavic Pro two days ago, flew it for a few minutes yesterday and all appeared fine. However I noticed today that upon startup, when the gimbal self calibrates, it makes a loud knock - almost as if its hitting something - before it centers itself. I've included a video below to demonstrate. You can't hear the knock as well due to the ultrasonic clicks, but you should be able to hear it.

I also noticed that the gimbal is not perfectly centered and seems to be turned to the right by about 3-4 degrees, and you can also make that out in the video. I've completed an IMU calibration. gimbal calibration, and compass calibration. Not sure if this is normal? I know that there is a horizontal adjustment you can make to center the image, but I don't see such a yaw adjustment - is a few degrees to the right normal? Should I bring it back to the dealer I brought it from for them to take a look? I'm afraid that knocking sound will in turn cause issues down the road - and I did check if the gimbal plate was properly below the 3 tabs as mentioned in other posts. Please help!

Last edited:
Hello,

I purchased a Mavic Pro two days ago, flew it for a few minutes yesterday and all appeared fine. However I noticed today that upon startup, when the gimbal self calibrates, it makes a loud knock - almost as if its hitting something - before it centers itself. I've included a video below to demonstrate. You can't hear the knock as well due to the ultrasonic clicks, but you should be able to hear it.

I also noticed that the gimbal is not perfectly centered and seems to be turned to the right by about 3-4 degrees, and you can also make that out in the video. I've completed an IMU calibration. gimbal calibration, and compass calibration. Not sure if this is normal? I know that there is a horizontal adjustment you can make to center the image, but I don't see such a yaw adjustment - is a few degrees to the right normal? Should I bring it back to the dealer I brought it from for them to take a look? I'm afraid that knocking sound will in turn cause issues down the road - and I did check if the gimbal plate was properly below the 3 tabs as mentioned in other posts. Please help!

The need for answers, are you using the search option on this forum?
You are a new member and Welcome to Mavic Pilots!
Try doing a search and most likely you will come up with your answer or answers to related topics. Enjoy!

Thanks, I did search the forum, and have been reading threads here for weeks, even before I bought the drone. So far results are that it may need to be sent back to DJI and a knock is abnormal, and as for the yaw not centered, I haven't gotten and conclusive answers while searching,

Thanks, I did search the forum, and have been reading threads here for weeks, even before I bought the drone. So far results are that it may need to be sent back to DJI and a knock is abnormal, and as for the yaw not centered, I haven't gotten and conclusive answers while searching,
Have you recalibrated the cam? That has fixed some issues.
What FW?

I did the quick gimbal calibration, I've heard of a longer calibration you need to use your computer for, is that what you mean? The firmware is the newest available, I checked in the DJI go 4 app and it's up to date.

Yep, I'm having the same issue with my Mavic. My gimble is slowly dying. The hozizon is always off center even after I calibrate it and center it using the roll gimble feature in the app. If I turn it goes off center again. I wrote in to DJI about this. I have a feeling the are going to screw me around, but I hope not.

Reactions: roflyer
All i hear is some horrible video sound feed in that video i have no idea what that is, I cant hear anything besides some BLABLALBLALBAL. Its almost like a scare prank video.......I cant hear anything besides a horrible high pitch sound my ears are now bleeding......

SoapyGolem - Thats the ultrasonic sounds the Mavic makes - the iPhone picks them up during the video, if you watch any Mavic boot-up video on youtube, you hear the same sounds.

Hello,

i have a similar issue now. did u find an answer? is there an update?

Last edited:
Oh my ! As a new owner of my first drone ( mavic ) this is very disturbing for something that costs this much money. My brand new one week old mavic is doing a slap
on bootup identical to this video below . After all these gimble problem videos i have seen here and youtube, im boxing mine up and back to amazon it goes. I will keep
buying and returning until i get a good one ( if that even exists ) . I certainly suspect that DJI has a known issue with these gimbles and instead of doing the right thing, recalling them to
address the issue, they are going to let the customer deal with it. It seems like their standard answer for anything less than a catastrophic failure is calibrate. calibrate, calibrate. Even when you have already
calibrated , calibrated , calibrated. Its a stall tactic so they can use the customer as a beta tester. Its not a new concept for companies here in America let alone china

mine is making this exact noise at the exact point in movement in this "quiet" video. This is not my video but duplicates my symptoms exactly. The best i can tell from watching it, the camera is hitting the rear gimble plate mount tab that rides over the top of the gimble plate. Im pretty sure its an inertia thing that i suspect can be fixed in firmware to slow down the gimble speed during boot.

Last edited:
Oh my ! As a new owner of my first drone ( mavic ) this is very disturbing for something that costs this much money. My brand new one week old mavic is doing a slap
on bootup identical to this video below . After all these gimble problem videos i have seen here and youtube, im boxing mine up and back to amazon it goes. I will keep
buying and returning until i get a good one ( if that even exists ) . I certainly suspect that DJI has a known issue with these gimbles and instead of doing the right thing, recalling them to
address the issue, they are going to let the customer deal with it. It seems like their standard answer for anything less than a catastrophic failure is calibrate. calibrate, calibrate. Even when you have already
calibrated , calibrated , calibrated. Its a stall tactic so they can use the customer as a beta tester. Its not a new concept for companies here in America let alone china

mine is making this exact noise at the exact point in movement in this "quiet" video. This is not my video but duplicates my symptoms exactly. The best i can tell from watching it, the camera is hitting the rear gimble plate mount tab that rides over the top of the gimble plate. Im pretty sure its an inertia thing that i suspect can be fixed in firmware to slow down the gimble speed during boot.

I'm noticing the exact same as in the video and wonder if this is normal?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skyscansurveys