DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New Mavic Vibrating Violently - SOLVED!

That is extremely interesting data (and quantitative visualization) of what we see in the video! Like you, I'm rather surprised to not see a more consistently oscillating value about one of the four motors. I am also surprised to see that all four motors seem to be operating at their full RPM range (and rather smoothly at that). However, there could still be a motor issue that is not being accurately reported back to the flight controller (perhaps indicating a stabilized RPM when in fact a dead spot in the motor is creating an oscillation).

An earlier post Aeroworks mentioned doing "run-ups" with each motor with a prop attached. I did this, and did not notice any vibration at all amongst all four motors.

The mystery continues, and Mavic #2 is on the way from Best Buy. :) And a HUGE "thank you" to Bud for this analysis@
Another thing to consider is that it's possible this is not caused by a motor issue. The data and @Aeroworks run-up test seem to indicate it's not a motor. Maybe one of the gyros or accelerometers are giving bad data. But, then there is no indication of that when the motors are run without props. Just spit balling here .....

I am really into this thread. Curious what the outcome will be. :cool:

Nice work, I think I will always update through the app. It is easier as well :)

Reactions: DJqpAZ
I am also have the exact same issue. First flight yesterday and this morning it came up with update firmware which I did and went a few hours ago only for the whole craft to wobble like above on hover. So this must either a firmware issue causing this or faulty motors on the craft. As we all know these were rushed out.
Mine well it going back

I am also have the exact same issue. First flight yesterday and this morning it came up with update firmware which I did and went a few hours ago only for the whole craft to wobble like above on hover. So this must either a firmware issue causing this or faulty motors on the craft. As we all know these were rushed out.
Mine well it going back

Downgrade the firmware, and then update from DJI 4 app. This should solve the problem, and prevent you from needing to return the drone to DJI.

So exactly how did you downgrade and what was your process?

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

It depends on which version of the DJI App you are using. In DJI 3.x, tap and hold on the graudtiong cap on the main screen. After holding for 5+ seconds, you can release and the firmware update/downgrade screen will be shown. In DJI 4, you must tap and hold on the "menu" lines in the top-right of the main equipment selection screen.

Guys you all know this is caused by the Propeller Cage being turned ON.
Just turn it off and its all normal ;)

Reactions: ATXdrone
I finally received my Mavic Pro on Monday, December 12th (after a two-and-a-half month wait). The drone flew flawlessly up until this afternoon.

When the Mavic took-off, it began to shake violently and even had trouble holding its hover position. Here is what we know:
  1. The Mavic has never been crashed,
  2. The propellors have been carefully inspected (and even replaced with a new set),
  3. All motors and parts feel solid and tight,
  4. The IMU and compass have been recalibrated multiple times, and
  5. The Mavic flew perfectly yesterday evening (and a dozen times prior to that).
Anyone seen this before? Any thoughts short of returning the drone to DJI?

SOLVED

When I first received the Mavic, I was unaware of the new DJI Go app. My initial unboxing and firmware upgrade was using the DJI GO 3.1.1 app. Of course, there were no apparent issues with the operation or behavior of the aircraft using the older app (with more than 15 flights over 5 days). When I learned of and downloaded the DJI GO 4 app, the aircraft began the shaking as seen in the above video. Initially, thinking that it could have been a result of the app, I disconnected my mobile device, restarted the UAS, and the issue persisted without the mobile device attached. I also attempted the flight with the older DJI GO 3.1.1 app, and there was no resolution. I immediately discounted the mobile app as the culprit.

After MANY failed attempts and tests to resolve the issue, I downgraded the firmware (to 01.02.9), and re-updated the firmware using the DJI GO 4 app. PROBLEM SOLVED!

My take away/conclusion: Do NOT upgrade the Mavic firmware with anything other than the DJI GO 4 app. In addition, the 01.03 firmware update from 3.1.1 is somehow different, or incomplete, compared to the one initiated through 4.0. The 3.1.1 updated aircraft became unstable once the 4.0 app was connected (and disconnecting the device made no resolve the issue, nor did the use of the 3.1.1 app).

YMMV. Thank you for all of the insights and troubleshooting efforts, folks!

Thank you very much!!!! You solved my problem after one terrible day...thank you very much! I followed your instructions and it works perfectly. You are a genius.
Ciao
Dan

Also forget what you heard on YouTube instructions clearly say unfold props before flying . I no its not the cause of wobble but why disregard instructions on such a valuable peice of kit

Sent from my SM-G935F using MavicPilots mobile app

Also forget what you heard on YouTube instructions clearly say unfold props before flying . I no its not the cause of wobble but why disregard instructions on such a valuable peice of kit

Sent from my SM-G935F using MavicPilots mobile app

That's a very profound statement. Yes it's in the manual, but is it really valuable? I mean, the manual also says not to calibrate the compass unless prompted to do so, yet DJI here and on their own forums have provided different information. I'm curious as to how many others are taking the time to unfold their props. I've had mine since mid-Nov and have yet to manually unfold them. Guess I'm a rebel.

Anyway, your questions/post/statement peaked my curiosity - so I posted this poll.

I finally received my Mavic Pro on Monday, December 12th (after a two-and-a-half month wait). The drone flew flawlessly up until this afternoon.

When the Mavic took-off, it began to shake violently and even had trouble holding its hover position. Here is what we know:
  1. The Mavic has never been crashed,
  2. The propellors have been carefully inspected (and even replaced with a new set),
  3. All motors and parts feel solid and tight,
  4. The IMU and compass have been recalibrated multiple times, and
  5. The Mavic flew perfectly yesterday evening (and a dozen times prior to that).
Anyone seen this before? Any thoughts short of returning the drone to DJI?

SOLVED

When I first received the Mavic, I was unaware of the new DJI Go app. My initial unboxing and firmware upgrade was using the DJI GO 3.1.1 app. Of course, there were no apparent issues with the operation or behavior of the aircraft using the older app (with more than 15 flights over 5 days). When I learned of and downloaded the DJI GO 4 app, the aircraft began the shaking as seen in the above video. Initially, thinking that it could have been a result of the app, I disconnected my mobile device, restarted the UAS, and the issue persisted without the mobile device attached. I also attempted the flight with the older DJI GO 3.1.1 app, and there was no resolution. I immediately discounted the mobile app as the culprit.

After MANY failed attempts and tests to resolve the issue, I downgraded the firmware (to 01.02.9), and re-updated the firmware using the DJI GO 4 app. PROBLEM SOLVED!

My take away/conclusion: Do NOT upgrade the Mavic firmware with anything other than the DJI GO 4 app. In addition, the 01.03 firmware update from 3.1.1 is somehow different, or incomplete, compared to the one initiated through 4.0. The 3.1.1 updated aircraft became unstable once the 4.0 app was connected (and disconnecting the device made no resolve the issue, nor did the use of the 3.1.1 app).

YMMV. Thank you for all of the insights and troubleshooting efforts, folks!

So glad I came across this post! After waiting months of waiting for the Mavic to arrive, I did exactly the same steps when upgrading the firmware as you did.
Having watched dozens of videos and tutorials online, I immediately knew something was wrong.
I first replaced the props, as it acts like they are unbalanced, then the IMU calibration.
Then I came across this post- Mavic is hovering perfectly now. KUDOS!

Just a note: to DOWNGRADE the firmware, you hold the 3 horizontal lines on the top right corner of the main screen of in the APP for about 5 seconds.
Also: My Android device only upgraded me back to firmware 3.0.0 I restarted app, drone, controller several times, it never asked to go above 3.0.0

I plugged in an apple device - it immediately prompted for 3.0.20 ? Strange -

Anyway - thanks for the info, as I am going on vacation next week and plan on bringing the Mavic with me.

So glad I came across this post! After waiting months of waiting for the Mavic to arrive, I did exactly the same steps when upgrading the firmware as you did.
Having watched dozens of videos and tutorials online, I immediately knew something was wrong.
I first replaced the props, as it acts like they are unbalanced, then the IMU calibration.
Then I came across this post- Mavic is hovering perfectly now. KUDOS!

Just a note: to DOWNGRADE the firmware, you hold the 3 horizontal lines on the top right corner of the main screen of in the APP for about 5 seconds.
Also: My Android device only upgraded me back to firmware 3.0.0 I restarted app, drone, controller several times, it never asked to go above 3.0.0

I plugged in an apple device - it immediately prompted for 3.0.20 ? Strange -

Anyway - thanks for the info, as I am going on vacation next week and plan on bringing the Mavic with me.
Did you see the later post about Propellor Cage (prop guards) setting?
Doing all the firmware changes is possibly a very complicated way of unchecking that box.

To the two of you that downgraded your firmware... Did either of you check and disable the prop guard option in the settings? Is a simple check box that, on some Mavics will cause that wild oscillation if it's in. It would be a shame if future users went through the trouble (and risk/feature loss) of using older firmware if they didn't know about this option.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
James Hoogenboom