DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New Owner - NYC

d_ess

Reactions
I just got my Mavic Pro and can't wait to use it. I know I'm not supposed to fly it near the buildings in Manhattan, and I don't intend to, but how about near/over the bridges or in parks? Seems to me a lot of people are violating the laws if its illegal... such as this guy, who by the way is extremely talented:

Reactions: Danno
Welcome.
I don't live in the US but from what I've seen, it's hard to interpret the UAV rules as they're different for each state, and enforced according to the mood of the authorities at the time.
Common sense is the best bet. If you think it's a bit dodgy, it probably isn't legal. Always think "what's the worst that could happen". Say you're hovering over a bridge with flowing traffic below and you have a complete power failure. What is the worst outcome here?
Having said that, there are some beautiful video's out there that are technically not following the rules.
Humza's video's are pretty good.

Reactions: Lone Wolf 58
I just got my Mavic Pro and can't wait to use it. I know I'm not supposed to fly it near the buildings in Manhattan, and I don't intend to, but how about near/over the bridges or in parks? Seems to me a lot of people are violating the laws if its illegal... such as this guy, who by the way is extremely talented:

[emoji15] wow

In and around the city, most areas are controlled airspace to the surface. You can look at a VFR sectional chart to see where you stand. The FAA has handed out some fines and many of them are in and around Manhattan.

You are supposed to contact Airports and heliports within 5 miles and practically everywhere in the city has a heliport or airport within 5 miles. They will probably hang up on you even if you could get a live person.

The things people have been fined for...
Flying into a building
Flying over a hot dog eating contest
Flying in restricted airspace near the airport.
Flying over people.

If you can find a space that is legal to take off, remember the air around Manhattan is the busiest airspace in the US and the 2nd busiest in the world after London.
Keep your altitude way down under the 400 foot FAA limit. Police helicopters can violate the minimum safe altitude.
Don't fly it over people and by all means, keep it line of sight.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bbj5143