DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New owner...so which one to buy....iPad mini 2 , 3 or 4?

Ah yes, it's the current 9.7" ipad
Great device
But price wise, it is a tad too expensive to be used as the mavic display
Yes, it is what You want
What i want is to avoid buying another ipad due to performance issue

Seems that the best choice for my use will be the iphone 7s plus.
I ll be using the mavic when jetskiing...so i need the control to fit my jet ski when i have it in follow me mode. Thus i doubt an ipad mini is best suitable...
I did use the drone with a 6s Plus Iphone and found it great!

Reactions: Ghunzolo
Seems that the best choice for my use will be the iphone 7s plus.
I ll be using the mavic when jetskiing...so i need the control to fit my jet ski when i have it in follow me mode. Thus i doubt an ipad mini is best suitable...
I did use the drone with a 6s Plus Iphone and found it great!

Please explain me in which way u use for follow-me in water sports... I think to use wifi connection through iPhone and put the iPhone in a water resistant bag... you?

Yesterday I did ActiveTrack and simply dropped the RC in the wetbox in front of the seat. I totally forgot about follow me.

ActiveTrack worked great until I outran the lil bugger and it hovered until I came back into frame.

Thinking about it, follow me in wifi mode and phone alone would probably be best.

I ended up spending the extra money and going with a mini 4 cellular 128 for $529
if you dont want the cellular model, the wifi ones are at bestbuy for 299 for a 128 and it does the job

this is my first post here and the following is what i *think* is correct from what i've been reading...so please correct me if i am wrong :)

(1) it's my understanding from reading forums and documents that the mini 4 wifi can be used with active track just fine instead of follow me. i saw a few videos where active track is billed as the "newer,better" version of follow me and that follow me functionality is basically deprecated. is this a correct assumption?

(2) it looks like if you cache your map in advance, the main function you are fully missing (using wifi only mini) is the ability to reset the home position if you move

i have a mini 4 with wifi but i have not hooked it up to the mavic yet since i'm just starting out and figure my iPhone 7 is the best bet at first.

the mini 4 wifi can be used with active track just fine instead of follow me. i saw a few videos where active track is billed as the "newer,better" version of follow me and that follow me functionality is basically deprecated.
ActiveTrack will work with any mobile device since it does not use GPS data. It's not necessarily better than Follow Me -- it's a different flight mode. Instead of following a subject by tracking the GPS location, it follows the subject by tracking it with the forward vision system.

the main function you are fully missing (using wifi only mini) is the ability to reset the home position if you move
Without a GPS receiver in the mobile device, you cannot use the Follow Me flight mode or manually reset the home point to the mobile device's current location. All other GPS-related features will work since they use GPS data from the Mavic's internal GPS receiver.

+1 for the iPad Mini 4. I bought a 16GB Wifi only 2nd hand on eBay and it does a great job. In Europe these are quite a bit more expensive than in the US as you can't find these cheap refurb alternatives. Keep in mind that Apple is only producing the 128GB model as of March 2017 so you're going to have an increasingly hard time finding new ones going forward.
The "new" Ipad 9.7 has identical specs to the Mini 4 so not worth shelling out the extra dollars unless you really need the larger screen.
I wasn't aware of the issues with Follow me feature without a GPS model. I might just pop my iPhone in the remote if I need it

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gadget61