DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New Pilot, disconnected controls

joe2jerry

Reactions
Hello, I'm a new member from Tyler, TX. I absolutely love the mavic and have been flying for around a month. Im on my second mavic (camera issue on the first). I recently got my second a few days ago and went in and updated the firmware and out my touch on the camera settings then drove down to get some shots at the lake. I flew out around 2300 feet and all was fine so I brought her in a bit whilst following a boat. Then the screen went black. There was no video at all. I hit the RTH button and the screen flickered and then looked as if I'd just opened it without a drone. Disconnected.

I looked at my wife and said "I just lost her in the lake."

Around five minutes later some of the locals on the beach spotted her and I brought her in. When I got home I popped in the SD card to see what happened. Apparently the drone began to spin in rapid circles for around 2 minutes then started flying sort of towards us but not in any kind of straight line. It was actually around 100ft down the beach when they spotted it but was going somewhere else when my screen came back up and I took control.

Any thoughts as to why this would happen or how to prevent it in the future?

Reactions: Hessu
Two questions:
- did you ever calibrate the compass before at a location free of magnetic interference?
- what did the controller show, "Disconnected"?
In case the app looses connection you should exit and restart the app or even the mobile device.
In rare cases it may happen that the controller locks up with no more reaction to sticks and buttons. Then you should shutdown and restart the controller, too.

Hello, I'm a new member from Tyler, TX. I absolutely love the mavic and have been flying for around a month. Im on my second mavic (camera issue on the first). I recently got my second a few days ago and went in and updated the firmware and out my touch on the camera settings then drove down to get some shots at the lake. I flew out around 2300 feet and all was fine so I brought her in a bit whilst following a boat. Then the screen went black. There was no video at all. I hit the RTH button and the screen flickered and then looked as if I'd just opened it without a drone. Disconnected.

I looked at my wife and said "I just lost her in the lake."

Around five minutes later some of the locals on the beach spotted her and I brought her in. When I got home I popped in the SD card to see what happened. Apparently the drone began to spin in rapid circles for around 2 minutes then started flying sort of towards us but not in any kind of straight line. It was actually around 100ft down the beach when they spotted it but was going somewhere else when my screen came back up and I took control.

Any thoughts as to why this would happen or how to prevent it in the future?

Mate thanks for sharing your story.
I kid you not, I remember seeing the first ever Mavic crash because of this issue.

It might be hard to find the video now, but the pilot triggered the RTH and then the mavic came spiraling down towards the general takeoff area and then it crashed at some trees nearby.

- Advice:
  • when disconnection ensure there is clear LOS to your mavic.
  • If you are getting choppy or about to disconnect try increasing altitude
  • check your controller antennas and avoid flying close to power lines / mobile phone towers

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
miguelmas