DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New policy about firmware update and restrictions

knockstar

Reactions
Just received this in my inbox, but think they worded a sentence wrong (or I'm not reading it correctly) "and it's operations will be restricted if you UPDATE the upcoming firmware. Surely that should read 'if you don't update' or am I reading it wrong?
Dear Customers,

DJI will soon introduce a new application activation process for international customers. This new step, to take effect at the end of this week, ensures you will use the correct set of geospatial information and flight functions for your aircraft, as determined by your geographical location and user profile. All existing flight safety limitations, such as geofencing boundaries and altitude limits, remain the same.

Even if you have registered when activating your aircraft upon purchase, you will have to log in once when you update the new version of DJI GO or GO 4 App. If you have forgotten your password since your initial login, you can reset it using a function within the DJI GO and DJI GO 4 apps.

You will need a data connection to the Internet for your smartphone or tablet when you log in, in order to verify the account information and activate the updated software or firmware. If this activation process is not performed, the aircraft will not have access to the correct geospatial information and flight functions for that region, and its operations will be restricted if you update the upcoming firmware: Live camera streaming will be disabled, and flight will be limited to a 50-meter (164-foot) radius up to 30 meters (98 feet) high.

The feature applies to all aircraft (except standalone A3 and N3) that have been upgraded to the latest firmware or when using future versions of the DJI GO and GO 4 apps.

DJI encourages pilots to always follow applicable laws and regulations in the countries where they operate, and provides information about these regulations on its FlySafe website at flysafe.dji.com.

Sincerely,

Your DJI Team

WgBABUcyQxDhubSa4Wnv1eTPY2CgHj7ELFmT7r56I0v73yXcgsSKlsp3Ke4jiA0ms4mUTbQKe0O8YJrPiniqfNvlEC1ru2tyjqPM6SiqQtHVgp8mzpbphd6J9DQ=s0-d-e1-ft

i got the same and i wondered the same, does that mean we will have the option of not updating to the latest app?

which would be a good thing

My question is, and I've ask it on other threads and not gotten an answer from a DJI mod in here, the update only the DJI Go apps or the latest firmware as well? If it is the latest Firmware is it 1.3.700 or a newer one than 700?

It's the wording that has me baffled. "and its operations will be restricted if you update the upcoming firmware". Actually, scratch that, I waded my way through the wording and think I understand it now. If you update the firmware without first updating the app you will be restricted. Obviously, as with any activity, it only takes a few to wreck it for everybody, but what I would like to know as I'm sure others do is what is this app update going to do? Says it will 'ensure' so I'm guessing it will automatically set height/distance limits that can't be overridden. I fly responsibly, keeping within the set height and line of sight anyway and I have the Altitude Angel app which shows me restricted zones in my area which I obey religiously, so I don't know if it will cause me any grief, but would just like to find out the details of this.

Reactions: hornseeker
It's the wording that has me baffled. "and its operations will be restricted if you update the upcoming firmware". Actually, scratch that, I waded my way through the wording and think I understand it now. If you update the firmware without first updating the app you will be restricted. Obviously, as with any activity, it only takes a few to wreck it for everybody, but what I would like to know as I'm sure others do is what is this app update going to do? Says it will 'ensure' so I'm guessing it will automatically set height/distance limits that can't be overridden. I fly responsibly, keeping within the set height and line of sight anyway and I have the Altitude Angel app which shows me restricted zones in my area which I obey religiously, so I don't know if it will cause me any grief, but would just like to find out the details of this.

Yes but that still says to me you have a choice not to update either, also what about people who have drones in two different geographical locations as i do. Do i need to register each one separately or is it the case like now that it will work out your limits based on where you are at the time and not what is registered as your home country.

It does state NFZ and altitude etc will not be changed (yet). what we do not know is what the background running software will add so later in time they can restrict everything on lockdown.

DJI are not stupid they want us to upgrade and i can almost guarantee very little will happen with this upgrade at the start They want this in our systems, so they will not give up the golden goose on this update. What they will do is load background software that will/can be implemented at a later date.

Every update you do will have a future update in mind and especially with DJI as it is an ongoing build and fly by the seat of your pants job.

I think no big change just yet but later when they are comfortable they have us on the new system then who knows what they will activate from this download.

If I don't update the app or the firmware, I don't see how they're going to impose any restrictions.

I got the email as well but haven't yet read it thoroughly. The first thing that comes to mind though is, don't we have some rights considering we purchased this item? I own my mavic, I did not lease it, I do not rent it. I am not obligated to return it when I am done with it. I own this item outright. Before I bought it, it was advertised to do X. If the company forces me to update my product and puts restrictions on it after the fact which changes the capabilities for the worse, effectively changing it's suitability for my needs, shouldn't that be a legal matter? What's the precedent here? Something is vaguely stuck in my head about court cases involving people who have purchased books and then want to resell them vs copyright holders that demanded either the items couldn't be resold or if they were they were due the proceeds. I don't recall that working out too well for them. Isn't this along the same lines?

I got the email as well but haven't yet read it thoroughly. The first thing that comes to mind though is, don't we have some rights considering we purchased this item? I own my mavic, I did not lease it, I do not rent it. I am not obligated to return it when I am done with it. I own this item outright. Before I bought it, it was advertised to do X. If the company forces me to update my product and puts restrictions on it after the fact which changes the capabilities for the worse, effectively changing it's suitability for my needs, shouldn't that be a legal matter? What's the precedent here? Something is vaguely stuck in my head about court cases involving people who have purchased books and then want to resell them vs copyright holders that demanded either the items couldn't be resold or if they were they were due the proceeds. I don't recall that working out too well for them. Isn't this along the same lines?

They aren't outright restricting it though. They're only restricting it if you don't do the mandatory firmware update.

They aren't outright restricting it though. They're only restricting it if you don't do the mandatory firmware update.

Right, if I don't do the update which allows them opportunity to restrict then they will restrict me. I bought my car and they send out bulletins to have things fixed. If I choose not to have them fixed, my car doesn't get zapped and I can't drive it until I cave and bring my car to the dealership. This looks to me to be a heads they win, tails I lose scenario.

This kind of control and stories of DJI's customer support is what made me get into this hobby using Yuneec as an avenue. I crumbled and years later bought a DJI product and the features and capabilities are truly staggering, but even still. Stuff like this is making me second guess my decision about finally going with DJI.

but i read the email as they will only restrict you IF YOU DO THE UPDATE but do not reactivate your account. That is how it is worded in my eyes. so If you ignore the update you will not have that problem. Soon we will know.

I must admit I don't see the big fuss... this is DJI's solution to the recent overturning of the FAA registration rule. It's absolutely their right to do this if they want to, and if you don't agree with it, you don't have to buy it (of course that gets a little iffy since we didn't know this at the time of buying it).

If some kids were playing irresponsibly and a baseball came shattering through your window, wouldn't you want to know who is responsible so they can pay for the damages? Would you always trust people to be honest enough to come forward about damage they've caused? These are devices that can do real damage to property and people, regardless of whether it is malicious intent, an accident, or a manufacturer defect. I get the argument for privacy, and certainly it's worth discussing whether it's "safer" to give that information to the government (e.g. the FAA registration) or to a private company (and a Chinese one at that - no racism there, they have just been caught hacking Americans' information before). There are some areas where I want privacy, but I also like to think about the flip side, like what if someone crashed a drone into my house? I'd be a little miffed if there was absolutely no means of holding the pilot accountable and suddenly I was on the hook for repairs.

It's a tough debate for sure, like all convenience/safety vs privacy debates. There is no right answer that will please everyone.

I must admit I don't see the big fuss... this is DJI's solution to the recent overturning of the FAA registration rule. It's absolutely their right to do this if they want to, and if you don't agree with it, you don't have to buy it (of course that gets a little iffy since we didn't know this at the time of buying it).

I'm sorry but, "their right to do"? On a product I bought and own outright? How do you figure they have this right? Especially when no where while advertising this product did they say upfront they would retain control after purchase and can render this very expensive item useless if I do not comply with their demands? I can't think of a single other item I own where the manufacturer of the product has complete say and control on how I use that product until I decide to trash it or sell it. Am I missing something?

The baseball damage analogy is weak. I won't even bother to address it further than to say that it's not the responsibility of a manufacturer of any item to ensure the end user be financially obligated for damages caused using their product regardless if it was caused while using it as designed or an unintentional accident.

Reactions: 4wd
Yes but that still says to me you have a choice not to update either, also what about people who have drones in two different geographical locations as i do. Do i need to register each one separately or is it the case like now that it will work out your limits based on where you are at the time and not what is registered as your home country.

It does state NFZ and altitude etc will not be changed (yet). what we do not know is what the background running software will add so later in time they can restrict everything on lockdown.

DJI are not stupid they want us to upgrade and i can almost guarantee very little will happen with this upgrade at the start They want this in our systems, so they will not give up the golden goose on this update. What they will do is load background software that will/can be implemented at a later date.

Every update you do will have a future update in mind and especially with DJI as it is an ongoing build and fly by the seat of your pants job.

I think no big change just yet but later when they are comfortable they have us on the new system then who knows what they will activate from this download.

I have a similar concern and not sure how it will work. My profile in registering the drone says I am in Australia but I plan to go on holiday to Africa and fly the same drone there. I am wondering how I handle this? I would surely need the geospatial info for the new region in my app? Is this scenario addressed anyway regardless of this new change? Can I just change zones in the app when I get there?

but i read the email as they will only restrict you IF YOU DO THE UPDATE but do not reactivate your account. That is how it is worded in my eyes. so If you ignore the update you will not have that problem. Soon we will know.

That was an obvious typo in the email. Use common sense.

I'm sorry but, "their right to do"? On a product I bought and own outright? How do you figure they have this right? Especially when no where while advertising this product did they say upfront they would retain control after purchase and can render this very expensive item useless if I do not comply with their demands? I can't think of a single other item I own where the manufacturer of the product has complete say and control on how I use that product until I decide to trash it or sell it. Am I missing something?

The baseball damage analogy is weak. I won't even bother to address it further than to say that it's not the responsibility of a manufacturer of any item to ensure the end user be financially obligated for damages caused using their product regardless if it was caused while using it as designed or an unintentional accident.

All they're doing is forcing you to have the Geo system enabled and up to date. There's no reason not to have Geo enabled. In fact, in most cases it lets you fly in MORE areas than the old NFZ system.

Reactions: Redwings
All they're doing is forcing you to have the Geo system enabled and up to date. There's no reason not to have Geo enabled. In fact, in most cases it lets you fly in MORE areas than the old NFZ system.

There are many people here in Alaska with drones that live in the bush completely off the grid and who's phones are never connected to Wi-Fi, they will be unaffected just like we will be unaffected if we don't connect to Wi-Fi. Unless there's a Killswitch in the GO 4 app that makes it unusable after a period of time should we not update, there shouldn't be any problems for those of us that remember to put our phones in airplane mode before we use the GO 4 app. Im hoping!

There are many people here in Alaska with drones that live in the bush completely off the grid and who's phones are never connected to Wi-Fi, they will be unaffected just like we will be unaffected if we don't connect to Wi-Fi. Unless there's a Killswitch in the GO 4 app that makes it unusable after a period of time should we not update, there shouldn't be any problems for those of us that remember to put our phones in airplane mode before we use the GO 4 app. Im hoping!

My thoughts exactly. I'm still on Go4 4.0.2, so unless this functionality was built in back then and DJI can activate it at will, I doubt this will affect me.

But to clarify, my concern isn't being forced to use Geo. I already use Geo and it's far superior to the old NFZ system. My concern is being forced to do updates going forward, since about 80% of DJI updates BREAK functionality rather than make it better.

Reactions: Ifti
My thoughts exactly. I'm still on Go4 4.0.2, so unless this functionality was built in back then and DJI can activate it at will, I doubt this will affect me.

But to clarify, my concern isn't being forced to use Geo. I already use Geo and it's far superior to the old NFZ system. My concern is being forced to do updates going forward, since about 80% of DJI updates BREAK functionality rather than make it better.

One thing more, turn off "cellular data" on the GO4 app as well so it doesn't update that way, AND make sure your "automatic update" is turned off so you update your apps manually.

Reactions: AdrianJH1 and AyeYo
So with this new update I won't have the choice to switch the geo off will I ?
At the moment is great as I just get a warning and controller says nfz limit but I can still fly.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
carlos22