DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New to Mavic, not to DJI, few simple questions

moswissa

Reactions
Hello guys

Coming from phantom series to the Mavic is a bigger change than a thought. I have a few easy questions I wanted to ask.

- does the battery need to be fully charged for a flight like the phantom? I know the phantom was notorious for critical battery failures and it was frowned upon to fly with even 80% life.

- I noticed the quick setup instructions never said to compass calibrate. The manual said only to do it when the app prompts so. Does that mean I don't need to do it even if I fly at a new field?

- I'm not loving the autofocus or the tap to focus one bit. I'm used to filming using FPV goggles so it's impossible to tap the screen then. Anyone find a solution? I noticed right from the start this focus issue will be something I need to get used to.

- this Mavic gets hot even if it's idling for 2 min. What's with that?

Thanks

Hello guys

Coming from phantom series to the Mavic is a bigger change than a thought. I have a few easy questions I wanted to ask.

- does the battery need to be fully charged for a flight like the phantom? I know the phantom was notorious for critical battery failures and it was frowned upon to fly with even 80% life.

No

- I noticed the quick setup instructions never said to compass calibrate. The manual said only to do it when the app prompts so. Does that mean I don't need to do it even if I fly at a new field?

Correct, only when prompted. It can't hurt though. I traveled from CA to Vegas, and it still didn't need calibration.

- I'm not loving the autofocus or the tap to focus one bit. I'm used to filming using FPV goggles so it's impossible to tap the screen then. Anyone find a solution? I noticed right from the start this focus issue will be something I need to get used to.

Assign one of the buttons on the back of the remote to center focus.

Thanks

It's a computer that flies, computers generate heat. It likes to move so the airflow cools it down.

Reactions: Baldy
1) not come across this issue so far. Flown a couple of places and only used 30% of the battery, gone some where else and used another 30-40% from the same battery without any issues. Although this could possibly become an issue as batteries start to age and deteriorate.

2) the compass cal on the app is pretty good, although the first time I flew it I completely forgot about it, I wasn't sure if it was the compass or the wind that was buffering the aircraft around. Remembered the compass cal before second flight and made the drone rock solid. It's something that I do by habit if I travel more than 100 miles, plus it doesn't take long so always best to be safe than sorry. Also beware of large metal objects or RF sources when doing compass cal.

3) I overcame the focus problem but changing one of my C buttons to autofocus on centre point. This means that when I do want to focus, typically on something towards the centre of the shot then the autofocus works, although I haven't yet tried setting the focus and then moving the drone off slightly to frames an image. Something to try at the weekend

4) There is a number of sensors and processing units packing inside the mavic that are all running at high speeds and high temps. These all expect the motors to be turning to provide some sort of cooling, especially as you don't want to get a lipo battery too hot!!! So when you mavic is sat on the desk running but with no active cooling, these processors will start to heat up. That fully DJI thought of this and added the cooling fan behind the Gimbal to assist with this. You can help this matter by removing the gimbal guard and clamp when ever your Mavic is turned on.

Hope all these long answers help.

Hello guys

Thanks

-I often do a last 'burn it' flight with 30-50% battery. Don't go far but I might go fast.

-After needing to once or twice I haven't calibrated the compass in over 2 weeks (3 prob'y) despite flying out of various places.

-I do an AF and then switch to MF mode once I'm 10 m or so off the ground.

-Heat? 24 cores are doing that. Not sure what they're working on, but they're working hard at it!

Wow thanks guy!!

I really need to do some of my own research regarding the camera auto focus but I have to admit... the CONSTANT AF controller chirping/beeping along with the controller vibration every time it auto focuses is driving me insane. Im trying to focus on flying but it's hard with the constant beeps and vibration !!

I flew my mavic indoors using atti/vision mode without my phone attached. The bird was stable and flew exceptionally well however my controller kept on vibrating as if it was trying to tell me something. not sure if this was the autofocus or something else? What is it?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Schmidteh121