DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

UPDATE: IT"S DEAD! New York State Has Proposed Legislation That Will Hurt UAV Operators

LuvMyTJ

Reactions
New York State has proposed legislation is that it would prohibit flying above 400 feet and below 100 feet. It would also prohibit flying of unmanned aerial systems (AKA - model aircraft) over 10 pounds. In addition, this legislation defines a "restricted airspace" as any airspace within five miles of an airport. Use the link and click the blue box on the right side with the 'NAY' button then add your name. If this law passes it is only a matter of time before other states follow suit. Even if you live in another state, help stop this from passing!

USE THIS LINK >>> NY State Senate Bill S1979

Below is a copy of the letter from AMA...

Dear members,

We are writing for your help regarding potentially harmful legislation that the New York State Senate is considering. If passed, this legislation - Senate Bill 1979 - would significantly impact how those in New York fly model aircraft.

Our main concern with this proposed legislation is that it would prohibit flying above 400 feet and below 100 feet. It would also prohibit flying of unmanned aerial systems (AKA - model aircraft) over 10 pounds. In addition, this legislation defines a "restricted airspace" as any airspace within five miles of an airport, which could negatively impact AMA members.

The proposed legislation does include a vague exemption for existing federal law, however we are working with the New York State Senate to include a much clearer exemption for those flying under the Special Rule for Model Aircraft, including AMA members.

AMA needs your assistance to stop any new regulations on modelers in New York State, and we're asking for your help to oppose this bill. To do this, simply visit the
York State Senate website and where it says "Do you support this legislation?" click on "NAY" in the blue box on the right side of the webpage. You will then be asked to provide your name, email and home address to submit your vote. Please also spread the word to your friends, family and local community and encourage them to vote "NAY" to this potentially harmful legislation.

The District II AMA officers and those at AMA headquarters are actively working with the New York State Senate to improve the proposed legislation and protect our hobby. We will keep you updated as the legislation progresses.

Kind regards,

The AMA Government Affairs Team

Wow. Another oppressive piece of legislation coming out of lawmakers bungholes in New York. Color me shocked.

I nayed that sucker. If I had a nickel for every bill I've nayed in this state........

Reactions: Blades
I think we really need to push for drones as a second amendment type cause.

Reactions: f00f
I think we really need to push for drones as a second amendment type cause.
Wouldn't happen, no one has the right to fly a drone but everyone has the right to self defense and the right to protect themselves from a tyrannical government. I could see our drones getting regulated like guns though, all the regulations without any protection..

unrelated to the quote, I expect nothing less from states like NY,CA and IL they are heavily ran by democrats that would love to take everything you find fun and enjoy and destroy it.

Wouldn't happen, no one has the right to fly a drone but everyone has the right to self defense and the right to protect themselves from a tyrannical government. I could see our drones getting regulated like guns though, all the regulations without any protection..

unrelated to the quote, I expect nothing less from states like NY,CA and IL they are heavily ran by democrats that would love to take everything you find fun and enjoy and destroy it.

I am sure NJ is not far behind :(

"below 100 feet"
So how are you supposed to get to 100 feet without being below 100 feet for a while?
Technically you can't. You also can't land when you're up there. The bill in it's strictest interpretation means you would have to flying outside of NY and fly in and back out to fully comply with it.

Reactions: Subton
Good luck with this. Unless you can come up with more money than the ones pushing this bill then those libtards will ram it right down your throat and encourage other states to follow. Just look at the way New York has treated other hobbies with constitutional protection.

Reactions: danman999 and Rbruz
Technically you can't. You also can't land when you're up there. The bill in it's strictest interpretation means you would have to flying outside of NY and fly in and back out to fully comply with it.
The 100' part is over private property, so if you fly from home you would be in compliance.

Even if the legislation passes, I can't see it sticking. Until some higher federal court changes the authority of the FAA, no one can claim jurisdiction over any activity in US airspace other than FAA. Based on what I have read, many have tried and many have failed including the National Parks Service, state of California, State of Colorado, and others. And the proposed law doesn't say no ops under 100', it says no ops under 100' over private property without the owner's consent. Big difference. And the FAA has already imposed a 400' ceiling so nothing new there.

It has failed to make it to the floor! Thanks to those who helped make this happen!

spacer.gif

Dear Members,

We are writing with good news regarding a potentially harmful piece of legislation proposed by the New York State Senate. As of now, New York Senate Bill SB1979 will not be moving forward to a vote on the floor this session. I appreciate the recent efforts of our AMA members, friends, and families in responding to legislation harmful to our hobby.

Rest assured your AMA District II Officers and the AMA Government Affairs team will continue direct advocacy with elected officials to preserve our hobby. It is your collective voices, as both constituents and safe modelers, which serve as the driving force in the perceptions and decision making of elected officials.

We will continue to monitor New York legislation, and may need your help again if this bill or similar bills are introduced in the future.

As always, thank you for supporting model aviation.

Sincerely,

EricWilliams-175b.jpg

Eric Williams
Vice President, District II
518-356-2057
Academy of Model Aeronautics

Good luck with this. Unless you can come up with more money than the ones pushing this bill then those libtards will ram it right down your throat and encourage other states to follow. Just look at the way New York has treated other hobbies with constitutional protection.

Exactly, like outlawed ebikes !

Just say drones are required by Islam and the LGBTQ+ community and all restrictions in NY and CA will be lifted. In fact, it will become a crime to say anything hurtful or negative about them.

In NY and CA (and some other states) all people are equal, but some are more equal than others.

Reactions: Rpeeps
What's the problem with 400 feet? That's the law here in the U.K., which I believe is sensible - 'manned' aircraft have to keep above 500 feet, so you need separation. I cannot understand why people want to put others in danger, by taking their drones up into commercial airspace.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kesiganes