DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Newb questions re: comfortable/sensible range

namja

Reactions
Two Questions (this pertains to any drone capable of going 1+ mile out so I posted here instead of the Mavic Pro forum):

1. When the Mavic is about 1/2 mile out, I can't really see the Mavic. Which means I'm flying by looking at the video feed, which I'm not quite comfortable with yet. How comfortable are you flying with just the video feed? How many hours before you got that comfortable?

2. Manual says you can fly your Mavic up to 4.3 miles from the remote. I'm assuming that's the theoretical limit with the practical range being quite a bit less than that. How far is your comfort level? What is a sensible range? I can't imagine being over a mile away while flying my Mavic.

NOTE:
I already read this thread but I want to know what you think YOUR sensible range is.
How high and how far can I safely take the Mavic Pro?

Last edited:
Reactions: intoku
I tend to lose sight fairly easily, sometimes even within 100 metres. It's easy to take your eyes off it look at the screen or around the sky then hard to track back.
I have IPad so has a nice big screen, I use that a great deal and to orientate the Drone to get my bearings.
Only taking it out about 1 kilo at most.
Most of my shots are within that distance anyway.
Learning to read the instruments on RC as well as the IPad.
Always anxious when I can't see it, but even if I could if it was to drop out of the sky makes no difference if 100 metres or 1 kilo, wouldn't be able to catch it.

Reactions: Former Member
No matter how long you fly..being cautious and a bit nervous is a GOOD thing..it makes you not want to be a "cowboy" (or "cowgirl" for that matter) and do stupid things...I've flown Merlin23 about two miles out..and that's good for where I'm located..I lost signal several times..and it performed the magical RTH perfectly...I've had him since December..and I'm still a bit nervous when I fly..but love it..also, the goggles just added a new stressor..but it's awesome to fly with them...just take it slow and steady..that always wins the race..

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maviclake