DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Newbee with questions on visual and flying

SWFL-FLYER

Reactions
What I dislike when flying is having to look into the tablet to see what the MP is seeing.. I would much rather fly visually if at all possible. But then the problem is when I want the MP to make an adjustment, sometimes it ends up going in the wrong direction.

This happens because I have lost visual orientation of the MP. I can see it up or over there, but I cant determine which way its facing. And then I get confused about which way to move the sticks.

A friend who has "toy drones" says his cheap drone even has a heads up setting of sorts so orientation isn't even an issue.. ie.. Backup is towards the controller even if its facing you.

I like the idea but i see other problems with that as well.

What do other owners do , I hate the idea of flying by tablet especially because on sunny days you cant even see the tablet.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
Headless is what he meant... try Home Lock mode.

If you're using it to shoot video then you need to look at the tablet to see what it see but if you only want to fly it as an RC plane then you really need to learn to control it regardless of how it's positioned. Plus you can always bring up the map/compass on your tablet if you get confused about the drone's heading.

You can display the radar at the bottom, left corner of DJI GO. The red aircraft symbol near the middle of the radar shows the direction your Mavic is facing.

001302wvfzu1j1u1ub7d8j.jpg

If the radar is not visible, click the target symbol at the top, right corner of the mini map or live view to show it.

Untitled.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: SWFL-FLYER
With maybe a few extreme exceptions, I find it easy to orientate the drone in the sky with the two front LEDs on. If I see two LEDs, I know it is facing me. No front LEDs, just the rear light, directly away from me. One LED port side + rear, away and to my left etc. Once you get used to it, it actually becomes quite difficult to lose orientation.

Now applying the correct stick when the drone is facing me, that's a different story and I still haven't mastered that!

The more ways you learn to control your Mavic the better. It's important to see the display on your phone, and also be able to fly without the display. A sunshade - cobble one out of cardboard - makes a big difference.

If your phone is out, and can see a dot in the sky, you can steer it back to yourself by moving forward, then yaw (left stick) in the direction that you see the dot move - it will come back to you. Here's a youtube that shows this.

If you can't see the dot, then go by the distance number on the remote - steer so that the distance is decreasing as quickly as possible and it will come back to you.

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lboogie007