DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Newbie - Lost all on screen controls at night mid flight

Addict

Reactions
So just got my mavic day before yesterday, got one flight in (my very first drone flight) then found out my small town holiday lighting was ending sometime this weekend (it is pretty cool). No choice but to go out and try and film last night... at night... with one daytime flight under my belt. Had a couple of issues that I am hoping to get a quick answer from the experts here ;)

1. I believe I need to adjust my exposure settings - a couple of times I started up and it would not focus on anything (even lighted) - rebooted drone, because I couldn't fix it. It seemed to work at takeoff (after rebooting), then got blurry again during flight and stayed blurry. I figure I need to learn more (obviously) but am looking for the quick route as I need to catch the lights tonight. Any tips or links to help? Big blurry 'halos' on the lights make me think I am letting in too much light?
a. Is there anyway to know if your footage is sharp on the tiny phone screen (i.e. zoom in or something)?

2. All night footage appears shaky (it was stable in my daytime flight). Any quick fixes/optimal night settings or modes? It looks like I got no clear/sharp footage out of 5 flights and 40 minutes of footage.

3. Biggest problem - near the end of shooting for the night, I have no idea what I did, but all the onscreen controls went completely away, replaced by a green box. I think it is something to do with the self-flying modes, but I couldn't get them back - and I was freaked out. I managed to fly back to my location, then I shut it down for the night.

Under similar circumstances I am sure people would tell me to search the forum (or google) for the answers, but today is packed with work, and the wife is super-sick, so I wont have time to do my own research before going out again tonight (glutton for punishment) - and am hoping for some awesome pilots to help out a newbie with quick answers.

Many, many thank you's! By the way, have I said how nice you look in that outfit? ;)

p.s. I just realized this should probably go in the Mavic Pro Help- if a mod wants to move it. Sorry! Too much haste!

When the screen controls disappear just swipe the entire screen in a downwards fashion to return to having all the controls back. Then if you want full screen view again then swipe up with your finger across the screen. Its full screen mode and is a built in feature.

It sounds like auto focus is not doing to well for those night shots. You can try and touch the center of the screen where the green box is once you have your subject in sight. Or pressing the left side lower button on the RC it will focus on the center of the frame.

The right thumb wheel on the RC will also allow you to control the exposure. If you cannot make auto focus work for you then you could always try switching to manual focus in the app.

Reactions: maikm
Sounds like someone skipped the part in the manual about full screen mode :) Just do what BDOG said, swipe up/down for full screen mode. Brave man, night flying on your second flight.

Sounds like someone skipped the part in the manual about full screen mode :) Just do what BDOG said, swipe up/down for full screen mode. Brave man, night flying on your second flight.
"Brave man", thank you - so kind! Though we all know the proper adjective in this instance is "Stupid" ;)

Thank you both for the replies! I must be doing it wrong. When I swipe up or down, it only brings my phone's buttons into view (i.e. Task bar, home button, etc). Just to be clear - the only thing that was showing on the screen was the green Aufo Focus square, and the camera view. No other controls. When I swiped up or down it brought my phone's control buttons into/out of view - still does. Swiping left (Or right, don't remember) brought in the auto-flight modes menu into view. I will try again later. Tonight is my last chance to get any decent footage of the lights, so I've watched a couple of videos on how to change the camera exposure and shutter - still not anything about video shaking... it didn't seem particularly windy, very slight breeze.

Not sure if you are on IOS or Android, but on IOS you need to start the 'swipe' in the middle 2/3 of the screen and not the very bottom or top as that brings up the phone menu, not sure with Android as I have never used it.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mini2+