DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Newbie Mavic questions

spiderpig

Reactions
So got my Mavic yesterday (finally after waiting since Oct) and am loving it. I ended up getting a P3S to hold me over until it finally arrived. Having flown it for two days now, I have a couple questions.

1) Its seems limited in speed outside sports mode to around 20 mphish. Is there a setting to set that a little higher? I was hoping to do around 30ish for mission. On sports mode I had it easily above 40 mph, which is what I expected.

2) It seems to yaw very quickly, is there any way to turn down the sensitivity on it? I'm shooting in 4k and since its 24 fps fast turns don't look good. So want to limit it to a slower rate.

3) I was flying during sunset and it seems that the obstacle avoidance gets spooked easily even there is no danger in front of it. Does the avoidance not work well in the dark? Does it use an actual image to tell obsticles or sensors?

4) Do I need to turn on the bottom sensors, or are they always on? Seems that when I get close to the ground it slows my decent and lets me land smoothly...wasn't sure if they did something else.

Overall a great drone and looking forward to getting more flight time with her.

Reactions: TheloniasMark
1 thats sounds about right for speed in normal mode ... if you disable the sensors you will get a bit more speed.

2 there are some good youtube video's for sensitivity settings ...

3 the avoidance systems do require good light and are not perfect ...

4 you need to check the settings

If you have not done so already download the the latest Full user guide as the one in the box is useless. .

Lots of detail about the Mavic systems.

Mavic – Specs, FAQ, Tutorials and Downloads

Reactions: pdks
I read the manual several times in October before ordering it. Will download it again and give it a read.

Will do some testing this weekend with the avoidance on and off. Overall, I'm fairly careful where I fly so it seems like it was way over senstiive.

Thanks.

1 thats sounds about right for speed in normal mode ... if you disable the sensors you will get a bit more speed.

2 there are some good youtube video's for sensitivity settings ...

3 the avoidance systems do require good light and are not perfect ...

4 you need to check the settings

If you have not done so already download the the latest Full user guide as the one in the box is useless. .

Lots of detail about the Mavic systems.

Mavic – Specs, FAQ, Tutorials and Downloads

Im just looking for the youtube video i used for settings it was really helpful

I think it was this one ..

Reactions: GetDatMoney
Found this in the manual:

"
Assisted Braking from Forward Vision System

SPORT

Powered by the Forward Vision System, the aircraft is able to actively brake when obstacles are detected in front. Forward and Downward Vision Systems work best when lighting is adequate and the obstacle is clearly marked or textured. The aircraft must y at no more than 22mph (36kph) to allow suf cient braking distance.
"

So with the avoidance on, it won't got more then 22 mph. Sine I usually fly about 50 feet above the highest obstacle, I'll see if there is an easy way to switch it on and off.

so downloaded latest manual and it refers to DJI Go 4 app...looks like I had an older version. New version does have settings for downward vision....so will test it out this weekend. Hopefully it doesn't snow too bad tomorrow.

Im just looking for the youtube video i used for settings it was really helpful

I think it was this one ..

Nice one ... keeps us updated along with some snow videos :)

Your not in beginner mode are you?

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

No took that off after the first ten minutes.

Here's a quick video I did of the snow today:

I was using the DJI GO 4 app and I don't think my custom buttons where set because the exposure wasn't right...but it's a learning step. Plus the app defaulted to 1080p.

I was using the DJI GO 4 app and I don't think my custom buttons where set because the exposure wasn't right...but it's a learning step. Plus the app defaulted to 1080p.

Ahhh good to know we aren't the only ones to get snow LoL I'm in Denver City Texas

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

Very nice ....

Sent from my SM-G925F using MavicPilots mobile app

Thats a nice video!

What software do you use for editing and publishing?

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

I had a feeling you were going to say that... I really don't want to have to pay a monthly fee but I guess I'm not going to have a choice if I want to take cool videos.

Are. you using a Mac or PC...because Mac's come with some free video tools that are quite good. Also if your going to go with the Adobe option, find a friend who's in school and ask to use their email address. If you have a EDU email address, you can get reduced monthly cost. I pay around 20 bucks because I still have my student email from when I got my second degree.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mini2boost