DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Newbie question about airport notification

Involute

Reactions
I live within 5 miles of a towered airport. Is it sufficient to notify the tower and airport administrator when I will be flying my drone, or do I actually need their permission to fly it? Does the answer depend on the altitude (I'll always be beneath 400 feet)? Thanks.

Reactions: boxsterfahrer
If you are flying in the US as a RECREATIONAL pilot, within 5 miles of an airport (towered or non-towered), you must notify the airport and/or ATC. You do not need them to authorize your flight.
The only regulating body that can give authorizations is the FAA.
  • Per FAA regulation, max altitude is 400 ft (with caveats around taller structures)
  • ATC or the airport can tell you "No, you cannot fly". However they do not have the authority to enforce that. If you fly anyways and an incident occurs, you could be held liable for violating the airspace though.
If you are flying as a COMMERCIAL pilot, in which you have passed the Part 107 Remote Airmen Certificate Test, you do need authorization for towered airports aka Class B,C and D airspace.
This is given via the FAA waiver process, not by calling the tower,

I want to fly in an area that is flaged as within the 5 mile area of an airport but there is no airport there anymore. What do i do or who do i contact since there is no one there to call

I'm trying to fly at a beach close to an airport. I called the tower and was given permission. How do I get the Mavic to fly in a NFZ? It won't let me take off??

Rules for flying near an airport have changed, and are in flux till the FAA gets 'Visualize it" completed. I did have a 400ft ceiling at my property untill June 21st when the FAA upgraded Visualize it, now over my house is 200ft and the back 1/4 is 150ft. I'm near a Class C airport.

ArcGIS Web Application

Reactions: Creepyfatguy
If you are flying in the US as a RECREATIONAL pilot, within 5 miles of an airport (towered or non-towered), you must notify the airport and/or ATC. You do not need them to authorize your flight.
The only regulating body that can give authorizations is the FAA.
  • Per FAA regulation, max altitude is 400 ft (with caveats around taller structures)
  • ATC or the airport can tell you "No, you cannot fly". However they do not have the authority to enforce that. If you fly anyways and an incident occurs, you could be held liable for violating the airspace though.
If you are flying as a COMMERCIAL pilot, in which you have passed the Part 107 Remote Airmen Certificate Test, you do need authorization for towered airports aka Class B,C and D airspace.
This is given via the FAA waiver process, not by calling the tower,
Don't forget E airspace when it starts at the surface. That's controlled also.

I want to fly in an area that is flaged as within the 5 mile area of an airport but there is no airport there anymore. What do i do or who do i contact since there is no one there to call

Send a letter

I wouldn't concern myself with contacting anyone. If the airstrip is dead, there isn't anyone out there who wants to be notified. I fly a dead airstrip as well. I literally launch from the tarmac.

Reactions: KiterTodd
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Htrismegistus