DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Newbie question

Raceman

Reactions
I am eagerly awaiting delivery of my shiney new Mavic, and just tryign to get everything else I need setup.

So, the phone/tablet to use with the controller. Does it need to be hooked up to a mobile network, or can it simply be a tablet that is only used as a tablet, and only connected to the internet/outside world via WiFi?

My cell phone is old and the display leaves a lot to be desired! But I don't really want the expense of a new phone, and I think a tablet could be a lot more useful aswell.

Many thanks in advance

I am eagerly awaiting delivery of my shiney new Mavic, and just tryign to get everything else I need setup.

So, the phone/tablet to use with the controller. Does it need to be hooked up to a mobile network, or can it simply be a tablet that is only used as a tablet, and only connected to the internet/outside world via WiFi?

My cell phone is old and the display leaves a lot to be desired! But I don't really want the expense of a new phone, and I think a tablet could be a lot more useful aswell.

Many thanks in advance
You do not require to be connected to the internet in order to fly the mavic. You can cache the maps over WiFi before reaching your flying location. But in certain cases you might want to have a built-in GPS on your tablet/mobile device for changing the home point to the RC mid-flight and for follow me mode.

You do not require to be connected to the internet in order to fly the mavic. You can cache the maps over WiFi before reaching your flying location. But in certain cases you might want to have a built-in GPS on your tablet/mobile device for changing the home point to the RC mid-flight and for follow me mode.

Hi and thanks for your thoughts.

So just to ask another stupid question, I do I need cell network access for GPS? That could also be a problem when I fly the drone, as most place I will be have pretty much 0 cell/data coverage.

Advice?

Hi and thanks for your thoughts.

So just to ask another stupid question, I do I need cell network access for GPS? That could also be a problem when I fly the drone, as most place I will be have pretty much 0 cell/data coverage.

Advice?
GPS is not based on cellular network (not talking about assisted GPS), but most of the cellular device have built-in GPS. As I said above, you don't require internet/data coverage to fly the mavic.

Know how you feel! Most of the Wi-Fi only tablets don't have GPS but you can pair them to your phone to get the maps updating in real time when you fly. The cellular versions (iPads in particular) do have the GPS as mentioned above, but don't need to have the cellular activated to make the GPS work, but if it is then you also get the map updating in real time when flying (assuming 3g-4g coverage)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ParKOR