DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Newbies - please properly prepare your phones before flying

Andrew F

Reactions
I'm adding this note to my original message: it SEEMS very evident by the replies that Apples don't have a significant problem with background apps or Wifi running. Samsung and other Android devices clearly do. I use both but still prefer to stick to my routine because it's very easy to do this and I prefer fewer potential problems. Enjoy either way!
--------
Not everyone and every hardware combination seems to have the same problems, but when starting out, you may wish to do the following. I do. So many "little problems" can be avoided by following a few simple steps on your phone / tablet before flying:

1. Disable and remove from memory all apps
2. Launch Go app and view area you're going to be flying in with maps to download detailed data if you want to
3. Put into airplane mode to avoid emails, texts, or phone calls and other "pushed" data that can cause your phone to switch apps
4. Or AT LEAST turn off Wifi (unless of course you are flying in Wifi mode which I don't recommend)

Your phone's Wifi can cause a lot of interference between the drone and your controller and other apps (especially it seems to me graphic heavy apps) can interfere with the Go app.

Then enjoy interference free flights! (Hopefully) :)

Last edited:
Have you been looking at my Pre-Flight checklist ;)
Haha. Yes. But it seems that newbies need a "at a minimum" easy to do list I order to get beyond these "interference" problems. Maybe it will help to have a "smaller bite" of information. Maybe not.

Reactions: royeiror and NOLA-J
Have you guys run into problems personally? What device are you using? Android?
Just curious as my Apple devices are the same I use for everyday stuff and I haven't run into issues yet.

Why turn off wifi? I use a iPad mini 2 hotspotted to my phone. With no wifi I would have no maps
You can cache maps at home by opening the app and viewing the location you plan to fly in the app map. It will retain them if you have the setting turned on and they will display properly in the field.

I have no problems with Wifi enabled on my android device, and DJI doesn't say anything about having to do that. I like to leave it enabled because I have the HealthyDrones app and I want my flights uploaded. I suspect those with issues are due to being in a saturated Wifi environment and those signals will exist whether your phone is connected to it or not.

Reactions: Icarus
Have been flying my MP almost weekly for about 6 weeks now. I am using an iPhone 7 and leaving everything turned on and other apps open in the background all the time and have never had one speck of trouble. I am not saying that it is not a good idea to follow the OPs suggestion, but some of us have never had any problems without disabling everything.
Could it be more of an issue with android devices?

Reactions: Kentster and NOLA-J
Have been flying my MP almost weekly for about 6 weeks now. I am using an iPhone 7 and leaving everything turned on and other apps open in the background all the time and have never had one speck of trouble. I am not saying that it is not a good idea to follow the OPs suggestion, but some of us have never had any problems without disabling everything.
Could it be more of an issue with android devices?

iPhone 7+ here, if I go into Airplane Mode I lose the map. I too have never changed anything on my phone while using Go4

Reactions: William Bald
I have no problems with Wifi enabled on my android device, and DJI doesn't say anything about having to do that. I like to leave it enabled because I have the HealthyDrones app and I want my flights uploaded. I suspect those with issues are due to being in a saturated Wifi environment and those signals will exist whether your phone is connected to it or not.
Some people smoke a pack of cigarettes every day and never get cancer either. The Wi-Fi and the RC can have conflicting frequencies. Obviously in your case this is not true. So enjoy your Wi-Fi and flying at the same time. Others are having problems and don't know why. Turning off their wifi often rectifies the problem.

Reactions: NOLA-J and jimp
Yea I don't see anything on the DJi site for disabling wifi. Over 20 hours of flight and wifi all the time. I doubt there is an issue
I guarantee you there is "an issue" - but truly glad it's not an issue for you.

Some people smoke a pack of cigarettes every day and never get cancer either. The Wi-Fi and the RC can have conflicting frequencies. Obviously in your case this is not true. So enjoy your Wi-Fi and flying at the same time. Others are having problems and don't know why. Turning off their wifi often rectifies the problem.
Interesting. Will consider.

Yes.
Have you guys run into problems personally? What device are you using? Android?
Just curious as my Apple devices are the same I use for everyday stuff and I haven't run into issues yet.
Yes. Samsung S7 Edge. I even got a message on Go 4 that my phone's wifi was causing interference. But it seems to not be a problem for IPhone 7s according to some folks herein.

I made my first flight with my mini ipad2 today. Video is nothing to brag about. Stayed in beginner mode. My wifi was still on from doing my firmware updates but never caused any issues. I am soo stoked on this thing.

I made my first flight with my mini ipad2 today. Video is nothing to brag about. Stayed in beginner mode. My wifi was still on from doing my firmware updates but never caused any issues. I am soo stoked on this thing.
I just ordered an IPad 2 with the hope the video is a lot better than my Samsung just from a size standpoint.

I just ordered an IPad 2 with the hope the video is a lot better than my Samsung just from a size standpoint.
I was very surprised at the quality of video. Awesome!

Yep no issue what so ever. Guess I'm one of the lucky ones.
Yeah. There are a TON of variables making the experience different for many. I have a buddy who routinely takes calls and texts while flying. All I know is if you reduce the number of potential negative influences for a more pure environment, you've got a better chance to have a good experience. I'm just trying to help the newbies - not tell experienced fliers what to do.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Opus3