DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Next model idea?

sonof40

Reactions
I wonder if it would be worth considering the following:
Pressure sensitive switches on either side of the body that, when gripped by one hand, would shut off the prop motors. To be used for hand catching and maybe even launching.

I wonder if it would be worth considering the following:
Pressure sensitive switches on either side of the body that, when gripped by one hand, would shut off the prop motors. To be used for hand catching and maybe even launching.
That sounds like a good idea to me but I wonder if there's a group of lawyers on retainer at DJI that would advise their marketing/engineering that anything promoting the close proximity of human parts to spinning rotors is a terrible liability. No matter how much people may want such a feature, or how fool proof it can be engineered, there will undoubtedly be a greater fool(s) who will figure out how to get maimed and hold DJI liable. Hope I'm wrong, I'd love that as a feature.

I'd love if they would add an HDMI output, 360 OAS, and additional camera options that are interchangeable, all while remaining within the same size & price. Doubtful and wishful thinking, I know.

Reactions: dewster and sonof40
Or just catch it without problems... I've done it hundreds of times...

What is the problem with hand catching?
Just place your hand under the Mavic and move the right stick all way down. Mavic will firstly descent up to about 50 cm above your hand and then will slightly drop on it.
Don't catch the Mavic, otherwise it will try to escape, just gently hold it and keep the right stick in down position until motors stop.

Or just grab it and have it auto shut off. A la the OP.

The OP asks if it's worth considering the added value for adding pressure switches on the sides to do something completely unnecessary and would likely introduce an undesirable failure point. Having launched and caught the mavic by hand hundreds of times, IMO the answer is no... it's not worth serious or even passive consideration ☺️ ask me after I've chopped my fingers off though and I'll probably still say no because I first would've had to touch the sides of the mavic with my fingers for it to have done any good, at which point I wouldn't have chopped my fingers off because they would've been on the sides of it out of the props anyway... If you'd have suggested props that sense human skin like something like this:

Then yes, that might be worth considering. Pressure switches on the side, not so much, IMO.

What is the problem with hand catching?
Just place your hand under the Mavic and move the right stick all way down. Mavic will firstly descent up to about 50 cm above your hand and then will slightly drop on it.
Don't catch the Mavic, otherwise it will try to escape, just gently hold it and keep the right stick in down position until motors stop.
I assume you have your sticks set up in Mode 1? Mode 2 (most common) would be left stick.

It is ironic how DJI will show promotional videos of people hand launching the Mavic. Even AR Drone 1.0 had enough bite to cause pain. Maybe design a Mavic catcher's glove like a selfie stick for those unwilling to take the risk.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Reactions: witnessthefunk
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bbj5143