DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

NFZ: Need Clarifications

twitchyzero

Reactions
Hello new to DJI crafts,

I've read through Mavic's manual and still a bit confused

1. can someone please explain to me the difference between A-mode and P-mode? You can bypase most warnings in P-mode?

2. You get a warning first 100m away from the border of R1 + mile. Can you take-off in a mile away from R1 but still in R2?

I don't intend to fly near airports. I do want to fly in national parks which may or may not be considered NFZ according to DJI.

If you are talking about national parks in the US then stop. They are all off limits. :(

While this is true as there is a temporary ban on UAS flight in National Parks. There are still many State Parks that have not adopted a no drone flight policy. Its best to contact each State Park individually and ask about thier current policy.

Also of note - there have been a few tickets written for prohibited drone flight the majority of cases have been handled as an educational moment.

Source: The latest buzz on flying drones in state and national parks: Rules can still be vague

A-mode and P-mode still haven't been clarified yet
but i found this video very helpful

Last edited:
While this is true as there is a temporary ban on UAS flight in National Parks. There are still many State Parks that have not adopted a no drone flight policy. Its best to contact each State Park individually and ask about thier current policy.

Also of note - there have been a few tickets written for prohibited drone flight the majority of cases have been handled as an educational moment.

I just looked at the DJI No Fly Zone maps and none of the National/State parks I was inquiring about have restrictions over them. The map DJI is using is certainly not conclusive.

Question if you happen to be in auto-land mode, DJI said you can still control the bird but just not be able to gain altitude? That's fine then. For some reason I heard you have zero control over it and it's a 100% landing.

The Hover app is a good one as well. B4UFly is the official FAA app, and is by the letter of the law for NFZ, but it will also have the best info.

Forget National Parks in the US. All are off limits. State parks are on a park by park basis.

Reactions: Butterpuff 6
The Hover app is a good one as well. B4UFly is the official FAA app, and is by the letter of the law for NFZ, but it will also have the best info.

Forget National Parks in the US. All are off limits. State parks are on a park by park basis.
I've downloaded the B4uFly app several times and then deleted it after getting frustrated with it for various reasons. Hover is my go-to app along with UAV Forecast.

I've downloaded the B4uFly app several times and then deleted it after getting frustrated with it for various reasons. Hover is my go-to app along with UAV Forecast.

Frustrated or not, being that it is the FAA's app, it will be a good reference, even if you use Hover or UAV Forecast. Always good to have the letter of the law for reference, even if you dont use it all the time.

When user-selectable Go zones first went live hitting an NFZ forced a non-abortable auto landing. You could fly laterally on the way down but you could not prevent the auto landing even if you exited the NFZ. I reported this to DJI several months ago. This almost caused a friend to lose his P4 (or have it land in the middle of the interstate!). Haven't tested it since.

Question if you happen to be in auto-land mode, DJI said you can still control the bird but just not be able to gain altitude? That's fine then. For some reason I heard you have zero control over it and it's a 100% landing.

Reactions: twitchyzero
Frustrated or not, being that it is the FAA's app, it will be a good reference, even if you use Hover or UAV Forecast. Always good to have the letter of the law for reference, even if you dont use it all the time.

I may be slightly paranoid, but I also am not fond of having an app on my phone that's tied to the government that has the ability to record my personal locations. Who knows what kind of user information they are collecting or are capable of collecting?

I may be slightly paranoid, but I also am not fond of having an app on my phone that's tied to the government that has the ability to record my personal locations. Who knows what kind of user information they are collecting or are capable of collecting?
Oh they're collecting all of that just fine without the app installed.

Reactions: Butterpuff 6

Here's why it's a mistake to think that that app provides you the "letter of the law":
As soon as I open the app in my current location, it says "Flight Prohibited DO NOT FLY YOUR AIRCRAFT". So, I click check status to see why and it tells me I'm within 5 miles of an airport and gives the name of a local TV station's helipad. I should be allowed to fly within 3 miles of the helipad, if I give proper notification, but the app says I absolutely can't fly. And, it erroneously had 5 miles as the limit for this small helipad. So in this case, the app was placing more restrictions than "the letter of the law." More disturbing, however, is the fact that it failed to list 3 other helipads that are within 2 miles of my current locations (I can actually see 2 within a mile outside my office window) So, the app is not only more restrictive, but fails to show me helipads that I need to notify before I fly in order to stay within the letter of the law.

I had to re-download B4UFly to remind myself why I thought this app was worthless. Now I can delete it again :)

Here's why it's a mistake to think that that app provides you the "letter of the law":
As soon as I open the app in my current location, it says "Flight Prohibited DO NOT FLY YOUR AIRCRAFT". So, I click check status to see why and it tells me I'm within 5 miles of an airport and gives the name of a local TV station's helipad. I should be allowed to fly within 3 miles of the helipad, if I give proper notification, but the app says I absolutely can't fly. And, it erroneously had 5 miles as the limit for this small helipad. So in this case, the app was placing more restrictions than "the letter of the law." More disturbing, however, is the fact that it failed to list 3 other helipads that are within 2 miles of my current locations (I can actually see 2 within a mile outside my office window) So, the app is not only more restrictive, but fails to show me helipads that I need to notify before I fly in order to stay within the letter of the law.

I had to re-download B4UFly to remind myself why I thought this app was worthless. Now I can delete it again :)

Everything it lists for my area is correct, and matches up with the Hover app. I havent looked around the whole state or country, so I cant speak to your area. As to the letter, the "More" area has links for everything related to FAA and Drones without having to dig on the website. This is what I keep it for.

And to be fair, Google maps errors out on 3 streets in my area saying they do not exist in a 100 foot section. Things have mistakes.

Everything it lists for my area is correct, and matches up with the Hover app. I havent looked around the whole state or country, so I cant speak to your area. As to the letter, the "More" area has links for everything related to FAA and Drones without having to dig on the website. This is what I keep it for.

And to be fair, Google maps errors out on 3 streets in my area saying they do not exist in a 100 foot section. Things have mistakes.

Yeah, it's best to find out for yourself exactly where things are from several sources and to know what the rules are. Apps can be a good source, but you don't want an app to be your only source for staying out of trouble.

Use the report function in the Google Maps app to improve your area. It's easy to do and Google usually fixes the issue in a few days.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BRUNO.CARDOSO