DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Nicaragua. Drones allowed?

Chagito85

Reactions
Does anyone know if Nicaragua allows drones inside the country? I would appreciate your responses. Thanks

Interested since i'm heading there in May...

For reference I went through the same research for trips to the Philippines and Costa Rica.

Philippines was hitting on big import taxes for drones as well as requiring registration with they version of the FAA. I ended up not bring the P3 but wish I did.

For CR no one cared at all about my P3 and giant Pelican case leaving the US, entering CR, or leaving CR. The only point of contention was coming back through US customs. The agent at the final check point advised that I have proof of US purchase for my DSLR, lenses, and P3 ready next time. Reasoning was that if I purchased them abroad and was importing high dollar equipment into the US there would be a tax assessment. Never looked into the validity of it but I will likely have these receipts saved offline in my Google Drive just in case.

A great info resource for both trips was joining a local quad group on Facebook and asking there.

I guess they are really taking privacy seriously. Stinks because Nicaragua has so many beautiful places that are waiting to be captured with a drone. Volcanoes, lake, lagoons etc. I go every year to bad i wont be able to take my mavic.

Does anyone know if Nicaragua allows drones inside the country? I would appreciate your responses. Thanks
We took one in last summer and flew it around the coastal areas but it was by a fluke and a distraction that it got past the security. Apparently word on the street is someone flew one during a political election near the president and so now it is totally banned. Not sure I would take it again as customs is really stick there.

Im getting the urge to just take it but too many things are against me taking it and flying it freely.

Had the same problem in the Bahamas last winter. I had a P2 at the time so the big carrying case attracted attention and I got asked by the custom official what it was. They kept it until I left. Not sure what would happen now with a small Mavic hidden in my checked luggage. Wondering if they ask the question to everyone.

****- I wonder if I should just try. I'm heading down there next week for a week! I wonder if there is a way to make it less noticeable.

In a way i wish you would. That way i can get some pointers on how you got it through. Ive heard of people paying the baggage guy a couple of bucks to make sure that the "takes care of you". Notice the " " thats what ive heard.

Guys,

We went to Costa Rica and Nicaragua in February 2017, no problems at all with the Mavic thru Nicaragua customs. No one ever checked the little back pack where the Mavic was in. When we were on the streets I kept asking if it was kosher to fly the drone, the response was "YES" without hesitation. I flew the Mavic every where we went (Lakes, Volcanoes, etc). Even leaving the country at customs in Nicaragua not an issue with the Mav. So I do not know what to make out of this

****- I wonder if I should just try. I'm heading down there next week for a week! I wonder if there is a way to make it less noticeable.
Any luck? Going there in May, i have a Mavic as well. I also heard paying the guy off that helps you carry the luggage may work. Let me know if you tried, thanks!

Guys,

We went to Costa Rica and Nicaragua in February 2017, no problems at all with the Mavic thru Nicaragua customs. No one ever checked the little back pack where the Mavic was in. When we were on the streets I kept asking if it was kosher to fly the drone, the response was "YES" without hesitation. I flew the Mavic every where we went (Lakes, Volcanoes, etc). Even leaving the country at customs in Nicaragua not an issue with the Mav. So I do not know what to make out of this
Please respond

Did you travel by land or air when coming from costa rica?

We traveled from Costa Rica to Nicaragua by land (Peñas Blancas), I had the Mavic plus 4 batteries with me in a little back pack when we crossed the border. When traveling to Nicaragua from Costa Rica we went thru 2 customs, Costa Rica's customs leaving the country, immediately there after is Nicaragua's customs to enter the country. We showed our passports, and little backpack (bought it at Walmart) was unnoticeable.

We went to Volcan Masaya and flew there (still working on editing the video), we also went to Laguna the Apoyo, it was a bit windy, but still flew there. So when I was at Volcan Masaya a security guard saw me putting together the Mavic, he told me that it was not allowed to fly at the volcano area. I was very polite and told him that I wanted to fly around the mouth of the volcano in an orbit, he was kind of skeptical until I took $10 USD out of my pocket and gave it to him discreetly and said "I need to fly for 10 minutes I am not going to cause any problems and you'll never see me again". That was it.
We also went to Granada and flew there.
When we were in Granada I befriended the Horse and Carriage driver we had. I told him that I had a drone in bag and wanted to capture footage, he said no problems here. So popped the Mavic out of the bag.

I'll work on couple of short vids of Nicaragua for every one to see.

Any luck? Going there in May, i have a Mavic as well. I also heard paying the guy off that helps you carry the luggage may work. Let me know if you tried, thanks!

If flying to Nicaragua, I heard that there are guys offering to help you carry the luggage out without going thru the x-ray scanner. A friend of mine brought a Phantom into Nicaragua that way, the Mavic should be a piece of cake.

Reactions: tcedeno89
Please respond

This is the back pack I used for my trip to Costa Rica and Nicaragua, it is the perfect size for the Mavic. There is enough room for the Mavic, 4 Batteries, Remote Control, Wall Charger + Car Charger, Sun Hood, iPhone 7Plus, Polar Pro filters, Propellers, Memory cards, and yet small enough, It is inconspicuous

https://www.walmart.com/ip/37673373

Reactions: LeoLeo
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kramme