DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Nice 5.8" Large Screen Android Phone for Mavic Pro - Just $74 - Works

PhoebeSnow

Reactions
I've been using an Apple iPhone 6s with my Mavic Pro but would prefer a larger screen phone. I have the Samsung 8 inch S2, Tablet - its a great tablet but too large and cumbersome in my mind. And it seems that whenever I want to fly a long distance the Apple 6S in my pocket is not fully charged. And once I got a call when the drone was out 2 miles and momentarily losing contact forgetting to turn the phone off ahead of time. So I took a chance and purchased a Leagoo M8 Pro 4G Phablet from Gearbest for $74.00 delivered. Where I prefer a larger 5.8" Apple iPhone (and the Apple tends to have fewer issues) I have too much in this Mavic to sign up for a larger 6 plus or 7 plus Apple iPhone. Plus if is not always fully charged when I want to use it owing to my desire for a dedicated drone phone.

Initially the Leagoo didn't work well causing many of the issues identified with android phones over the Apple phones. So I removed everything - all apps, video cache, took off anything that consumes memory to the point that the only thing on the phone is the DJI 4 App. After all, this is strictly a dedicated phone for flying the Mavic Pro only. And now it works fine. And I fly over water a rather risking venture as we're concerned with the high water, flooding and dune erosion on the eastern shore of Lake Ontario.

Today coming home the sun caused an obstacle avoidance and the Mavic stalled 1.5 miles out over Lake Ontario with a low battery warning and wouldn't budge as the battery wore down. In hindsight (out of my immediate panic mode) I could have done many things - sport mode, turn off the sensor, or fly backwards - which I finally did. I have not had the opportunity to test sport mode and finding the sensor screen at that moment would have taken time as I forgot where it was (yes - I'm new and still learning). But my point here is that the Leagoo M8 stayed with me and I got the drone back with 8% power remaining - whew! I will probably continue to test the Leagoo but so far have about 5 hours of flying time with it and feel real confident with it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bunny Too
I've been using an Apple iPhone 6s with my Mavic Pro but would prefer a larger screen phone. I have the Samsung 8 inch S2, Tablet - its a great tablet but too large and cumbersome in my mind. And it seems that whenever I want to fly a long distance the Apple 6S in my pocket is not fully charged. And once I got a call when the drone was out 2 miles and momentarily losing contact forgetting to turn the phone off ahead of time. So I took a chance and purchased a Leagoo M8 Pro 4G Phablet from Gearbest for $74.00 delivered. Where I prefer a larger 5.5" Apple iPhone (and the Apple tends to have fewer issues) I have too much in this Mavic to sign up for a larger 6 plus or 7 plus Apple iPhone. Plus if is not always fully charged when I want to use it owing to my desire for a dedicated drone phone.

If you want to go down frustration lane with DJI Go 4 get an android phone. DJI Go 4 has a tendency to crash on Android.
If you want to have zero worries get an iPad mini 2 or mini 4. It has a nice big screen, is stable and fits perfectly in the remote. All you need is a bit longer cable which is easy to get on Amazon.

If you want to go down frustration lane with DJI Go 4 get an android phone. DJI Go 4 has a tendency to crash on Android.
If you want to have zero worries get an iPad mini 2 or mini 4. It has a nice big screen, is stable and fits perfectly in the remote. All you need is a bit longer cable which is easy to get on Amazon.

Thanks for the suggestions. And, I cannot disagree that the proven phones with the Mavic Pro are the Apple iPhones. But it was worth the chance for only $74.00 as opposed to the outrageous expense of a an Apple 7 Plus or even a Verizon phone plan over many months. Plus flying with the phone that you use daily often finds it is not fully charged when you want it or someone calls when you don't want the call (& forget to turn it off). I spent $1,195 for the Mavic Pro Combo (w / insurance plan ) and that's it for awhile as I still have the Phantom 3 Advanced for backup.

I've had absolutely zero issues with the Apple 6S iPhone but I really want a larger screen and the Android is working for me with a 5.5" quite bright screen. I realize the risk but so far it works for me almost as well as the Apple. I don't need or want the larger 8" mini, the additional expense. And I have the Samsung Galaxy 8" Thin S2, a truly fine hi res & powerful tablet, that worked great for me but was larger than I wanted carry around with me. For me a 5.5 inch is just right and I appear to be where I want to be for just $74 with a dedicated phone always charged, no calls coming through while flying, and no other apps to interfere while used for strictly for flying the Mavic Pro.

Reactions: Rnl
Interesting alternative. I've thought of doing the same thing but didn't want to expense another phone. Let me know if it works for you in the long run.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fast54