DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

night flight.. need your feedback please

A mavic pro is a model aircraft, not a uav

The following definitions are used in this document:
  1. Model Aircraft – means an aircraft with a total weight not exceeding 35 kg (77 lbs) that is mechanically driven or launched into flight for recreational purposes and that is not designed to carry persons or other living creatures.
  2. Maximum Take-off Weight –means the weight of the aircraft at the time of the operation, including the weight of any payload (e.g. a camera) and fuel.
  3. Unmanned Air Vehicle – means a power-driven aircraft, other than a model aircraft, that is designed to fly without a human operator onboard.

Ahhh yes. I did read that. Just didn't realize that the mavic drones fall under model aircraft. In that case, I think that all of pretty much everything goes out the window including night flying (at least for hobby use).

lolll. Yup. Everything.

I mean.. . would you consider this dangerous. Its horrid editing. My apologies in advance.

This is the best I got and it's garbage.
b8ab1d8c5086037b46dc19bc75907c5e.jpg
If you try to focus at night at a long distance, you are not going to get it focus.

Here is my suggestion.
1. Fly and hover around 50 feet above the ground. Make sure AFC is turn off.
2. Find a BRIGHT light source(lamp post or building) and focus on it.
3. Don't focus again after that. Or simply toggle to MF.
4. Everything should be in focus. I think Mavic Hyperfocal distance is around 50 feet.

Here is a photo with ISO 100 and 3 seconds shutter.

DJI_0020.jpg

hello everyone,

I'm not and expert at all :p let's start with this statement ahahah

Since i'll be in Shanghai in 1 week i'd LOVE to take some pictures/video of the BUND by night ..

since i'm not conscious of what could go wrong in a night scene (sensors... )
could you suggest me what i should consider? what settings should i have?

OBVIOUSLY i'm not gonna just fly around , i mean i will not just go KM around! what i'd like basically to do is take off.. take some pictures and a short aerial video and then land the drone !
Hello,

I would recommend checking the local laws. This is illegal in the United States. In the US you can fly up to 30 mins after sunset (dusk/twighlight) and 30 mins before sunrise.

Hello,

I would recommend checking the local laws. This is illegal in the United States. In the US you can fly up to 30 mins after sunset (dusk/twighlight) and 30 mins before sunrise.
ok.. this is already been said and is out of topic! we are purely discussing about techniques not about being illegal! so stop being out of topic and above all being the sheriff! thank you

ok.. this is already been said and is out of topic! we are purely discussing about techniques not about being illegal! so stop being out of topic and above all being the sheriff! thank you
I disagree. My comment is on point and relevant. We as a community should not conduct illegal flights and encourage others to be good law abiding pilots. Sorry you feel this way.
Fact Sheet – Small Unmanned Aircraft Regulations (Part 107)

It is though. :)
You may be just a troll, but in case you are not, literally half of this entire thread is dedicated to the fact that hobbyists are not subject to Part 107 rules.
Just read please before putting out fake news (lol). Note the Operating Rules and the Legal/Regulatory Basis. It is just flat out false to make statements like you are doing.

screen-shot-2017-03-06-at-5-18-36-pm-png.7943

Reactions: Strafe1
I just sent it up and got this. Dont really know what I did, was my first time in the air at night.

1489014008764.jpg

Reactions: Rabid Machina
Night flight is illegal in the US unless you have an FAA exemption.

Hello,

Please stop trolling these forums. We are trying to maintain helpful and accurate feedback here.

Night flight is illegal in the US unless you have an FAA exemption.[/

Flying for Fun (recreational or hobby)

3. Does the new Small UAS Rule (part 107) apply to recreational UAS operations?
Part 107 does not apply to UAS flown strictly for fun (hobby or recreational purposes) as long as these unmanned aircraft are flown in accordance with the Special Rule for Model Aircraft (Section 336 of P.L. 112-95). Visit our "Fly for Fun" webpage for safety rules and guidelines that apply to recreational UAS operations. The small UAS rule codifies the provisions of section 336 in part 101 of the FAA's regulations, which will prohibit operating a UAS in manner that endangers the safety of the National Airspace System.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here are some examples of what I managed to capture during some recent night flights.

c18ad69f585875afc47dfbf8061d1c06.jpg

95a8a5499dc3ccbb3884c72216a6be31.jpg

a5d4108679a1b400bf4c76711a68b6b0.jpg

2d177e1a3dd2dcd6f452bf31e2abad41.jpg
woaw.. that is just "perfect" to my eyes.. I love it! please can you share your settings? and about the focus? thank you

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SkyTechDji