DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Night shots.

GlenT

Reactions
Went out the other night to take some long exposures with my DSLR. I brought the Mavic along as I wanted to try some longer exposures with that too. It was a very still night which helps a lot. I found in this particular example a shutter speed of 2 seconds and ISO 100 was ideal.DJI_0001.JPG DJI_0008.JPG

Nice shots! I am impressed with the stability for that long of an exposure.

And look, they even have a landing pad for you.

Reactions: GlenT
Nice shots! I am impressed with the stability for that long of an exposure.

And look, they even have a landing pad for you.
It's nice they knew I was coming and left the welcome mat out.
The Mavic is supremely stable for sure. These images are straight out of the camera, no editing.
However, I did try to edit some others and found significant banding in the dark water area's from the extra compression when re saving the image.

Went out the other night to take some long exposures with my DSLR. I brought the Mavic along as I wanted to try some longer exposures with that too. It was a very still night which helps a lot. I found in this particular example a shutter speed of 2 seconds and ISO 100 was ideal.View attachment 11478 View attachment 11479

Those are my favorite settings for night, too. ISO 100, 2 second shutter, and DNG. Looks good almost every time.

Shooting raw (DNG) should get rid the issues you've had with compression in the dark areas, and give you the ability to edit more freely.

Reactions: ajoy and GlenT
Here are a couple JPGs created from Photomatix using DNGs shot at night.

Attachments

• DJI_0194.jpg
    DJI_0194.jpg
    8.3 MB · Views: 65
  • DJI_0202.jpg
    DJI_0202.jpg
    8.2 MB · Views: 65
Went out the other night to take some long exposures with my DSLR. I brought the Mavic along as I wanted to try some longer exposures with that too. It was a very still night which helps a lot. I found in this particular example a shutter speed of 2 seconds and ISO 100 was ideal.View attachment 11478 View attachment 11479

That is really quite impressive! Ships are basically unphotographable at night, because they always tend to rock back and forth on the waves a bit... So even if your mavic was hanging perfectly still, than that is not a guarantee that the shot will work... Nice work mate! Thumbswayup

That is really quite impressive! Ships are basically unphotographable at night, because they always tend to rock back and forth on the waves a bit... So even if your mavic was hanging perfectly still, than that is not a guarantee that the shot will work... Nice work mate! Thumbswayup
Thanks. Even though it was a very calm night the ship would still move ever so slightly as the on board cranes were un loading. I noticed this whilst taking 20 second exposures with my DSLR. One of the effects I was after was to have the cranes slightly blurred to give some sense of action in an otherwise still scene.
I like how the Mavic shots really isolated the ship compared to my ground based shots. Attached one below to highlight the difference.Fert Ship5a.jpg

Lovely shots! Seems we have some similar interests! Rwmind me to post some nightly ship shots at the end of the weekend when I'm home again.

Lovely shots! Seems we have some similar interests! Rwmind me to post some nightly ship shots at the end of the weekend when I'm home again.
Great. Will do.
I am fortunate to live right next to our harbour. The above shots were taken less than a ten minute walk from home.
I have made a few video's of the cruise ships that visit our ports using the Mavic. Really impressed with how she performs.

Great pictures! I am very impressed do you have any idea what settings I can use to take night pictures at a lake with not a lot of lighting but still get an amazing picture like this one

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaxRichu