DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

No Drone Zone (Kauai)

gavinski

Reactions
I scouted this location outside Hanalei on Kauai for its lush landscape and dramatic backdrop. Headed out before dawn only to discover it is actually a national wildlife refuge so there's no way I was going to launch the Mavic. For those who might be tempted to fly a drone here, the local authorities make the policy very clear.

2423ed76a5a652c899ca17bf2a8a4a13.jpg

This is the 1st time that I've ever seen a "No Drone Zone" sign. Kinda sounds comical

Just curious...but in cases like this or that aren't a Federal protected area...if you took off from, say private property and flew over the area...I would think that would be ok. As long as you don't land in the area. They can't stop planes from flying overhead, and drones are considered aircraft....I wonder.

Just curious...but in cases like this or that aren't a Federal protected area...if you took off from, say private property and flew over the area...I would think that would be ok. As long as you don't land in the area. They can't stop planes from flying overhead, and drones are considered aircraft....I wonder.
That is correct, I have read of people filming in National Parks, they just take off and land outside of the park.

That is correct, I have read of people filming in National Parks, they just take off and land outside of the park.

Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

The reason I chose not to fly was not because of the "No Drone Zone" sign, but because this was a wildlife refuge. The area was teeming with birdlife and flying a drone in this location would surely be disruptive to their habitat in all kinds of ways.

I think national parks should be off limits for drones, as the arks are there as a way to preserve nature for everyone to enjoy. Nothing kills the moment like a machine buzzing overhead.

As pilots, we need to be respectful of other people and the environment. If we don't act responsibly, we are going to see tighter and tighter restrictions until there's no place left to fly.

I love to fly and I am sure I have flown in a few places where I shouldn't have, but I am trying to be more responsible in my decisions as a drone pilot.

I'll get offa my soapbox now....

Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

The reason I chose not to fly was not because of the "No Drone Zone" sign, but because this was a wildlife refuge. The area was teeming with birdlife and flying a drone in this location would surely be disruptive to their habitat in all kinds of ways.

I think national parks should be off limits for drones, as the arks are there as a way to preserve nature for everyone to enjoy. Nothing kills the moment like a machine buzzing overhead.

As pilots, we need to be respectful of other people and the environment. If we don't act responsibly, we are going to see tighter and tighter restrictions until there's no place left to fly.

I love to fly and I am sure I have flown in a few places where I shouldn't have, but I am trying to be more responsible in my decisions as a drone pilot.

I'll get offa my soapbox now....
One should use judgement and be mindful their actions and consequences with everything one does, personal initiative goes a long way. Just because I post it does not mean I advocate; I believe in free dissemination of knowledge even with all the inherent risks that may entail.

An airplane isn't flying low altitude over these places like a drone would be, also "National Wildlife Area" = Federal.

EDIT: missed the "or" in the first line.

Last edited:
If you stayed really high...especially with a Mavic, you probably wouldn't disturb anything...but I don't know if you actually can or not, nor would I be willing to take that risk.

Reactions: Justice
If you stayed really high...especially with a Mavic, you probably wouldn't disturb anything...but I don't know if you actually can or not, nor would I be willing to take that risk.

Being a person that spends a lot of time outside I'm pretty conscientious about disturbing others while I'm out hiking. We were in a pretty remote National Forest area with no one around and I can tell you that at 300' AGL you could still hear the Mavic pretty clearly when there isn't any white noise to cover it.

I agree with you..and I live on Oahu! Nothing like spoiling things for other people. I build my own drones, but they are too big and loud to fly near people. This is the reason I picked up a Mavic. I have found that when I fly with people around, they are more curious....the Mavic is less threatening, and I will call people over to take a look at my tablet when I see them looking. No one has said no so far when I have called anyone over.
I agree with what Bunny Too said...personal responsibility and consequences.

Reactions: Hauptmann
I would call the FAA and just ask them. Tell them where you plan on flying...they have been super helpful whenever I have called. They want you to fly, but fly responsibly and safe.

I scouted this location outside Hanalei on Kauai for its lush landscape and dramatic backdrop. Headed out before dawn only to discover it is actually a national wildlife refuge so there's no way I was going to launch the Mavic. For those who might be tempted to fly a drone here, the local authorities make the policy very clear.

2423ed76a5a652c899ca17bf2a8a4a13.jpg

Just a thought.... Biplane tour

Vintage Biplane Tour of Kauai | Viator

Reactions: gavinski
Oh no!! I bought the Mavic specifically for my upcoming Kauai trip. I didn't realize the taro field in Hanalei is considered a Wildlife refuge. I've checked the U.S. Air Space Map | Know Before You Fly and DJI - The World Leader in Camera Drones/Quadcopters for Aerial Photography and both do not show it as restricted fly airspace. Now it's making me wonder what other parts of the island is "drone free"

-Jeff

Link to Specific Location: Google Maps

Google maps is actually pretty good for looking up Wildlife Preserves

Reactions: gavinski
Yeah, commercial sightseeing helos flying 150-200 ft off the deck is okay over my national seashore beach, but I can't fly my drone because according to national parks dept drones disturb the wildlife. Okay noted. Its a disgusting double standard.

Yeah, commercial sightseeing helos flying 150-200 ft off the deck is okay over my national seashore beach, but I can't fly my drone because according to national parks dept drones disturb the wildlife. Okay noted. Its a disgusting double standard.

I Agree... what about Hot Air balloons? Why only Drones?

Will this work?

3dd8c06d59176b7bb0de522af6f8f9a9.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Briangriffinpro
I agree that once it's a no drone area you should not try any high flying acts to circumvent the rules. These places are just being proactive as it's not going to be long before 50 drones are buzzing in and killing the park experience for others, not to mention the havoc they will cause to the animal population.

Rob

I live on Kauai. It is a beautiful spot to take photos. Yes it's a bummer you can't fly there but think about how many people would be buzzing there drone around the birds if the sign wasn't up. Take a doors off helicopter tour and take some video. Use a sectional chart next time and you won't be surprised by what kind of land you'll be flying over. (Requested) 2000ft over a refuge

415ed795c375dd3aa27a63bb99e92c5d.jpg

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mini2boost