DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

No Fly Zone Not Accurate

Sean

Reactions
We tried to fly near the Washington DC area and the no fly zone warning came up. Looking at the DJI website the area is clearly outside the red no fly zone circle.… by about 1/2 mile… but still outside. Has anyone had any issues with the accuracy of this?

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Curious cause I was at DC for training and I didn't bring my Mavic (received it the day before my trip there), where you trying to launch 15-30 miles from Regan National Airport?

Curious cause I was at DC for training and I didn't bring my Mavic (received it the day before my trip there), where you trying to launch 15-30 miles from Regan National Airport?

Yeah, according to google maps it's 21 miles so I would say it's just outside the 15 mile radius. Just because I know it's measured how the crow flies and not by roads.

We tried to fly near the Washington DC area and the no fly zone warning came up. Looking at the DJI website the area is clearly outside the red no fly zone circle.… by about 1/2 mile… but still outside. Has anyone had any issues with the accuracy of this?

The National Capital Region is governed by a Special Flight Rules Area (SFRA) within a 30-mile radius of Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport, which restricts all flights in the greater DC area.

The SFRA is divided into a 15-mile radius inner ring and a 30-mile radius outer ring.

• Flying an unmanned aircraft within the 15-mile radius inner ring is prohibited without specific FAA authorization.
  • Flying a UAS for recreational or non-recreational use between 15 and 30 miles from Washington, D.C. is allowed under these operating conditions:
    • Aircraft must weigh less than 55 lbs. (including any attachments such as a camera)
    • Aircraft must be registered and marked
    • Fly below 400 ft.
    • Fly within visual line-of-sight
    • Fly in clear weather conditions
    • Never fly near other aircraft
The airspace around Washington, D.C. is more restricted than in any other part of the country. Rules put in place after the 9/11 attacks establish "national defense airspace" over the area and limit aircraft operations to those with an FAA and Transportation Security Administration authorization. Violators face stiff fines and criminal penalties.

The National Capital Region is governed by a Special Flight Rules Area (SFRA) within a 30-mile radius of Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport, which restricts all flights in the greater DC area.

The SFRA is divided into a 15-mile radius inner ring and a 30-mile radius outer ring.

• Flying an unmanned aircraft within the 15-mile radius inner ring is prohibited without specific FAA authorization.
  • Flying a UAS for recreational or non-recreational use between 15 and 30 miles from Washington, D.C. is allowed under these operating conditions:
    • Aircraft must weigh less than 55 lbs. (including any attachments such as a camera)
    • Aircraft must be registered and marked
    • Fly below 400 ft.
    • Fly within visual line-of-sight
    • Fly in clear weather conditions
    • Never fly near other aircraft
The airspace around Washington, D.C. is more restricted than in any other part of the country. Rules put in place after the 9/11 attacks establish "national defense airspace" over the area and limit aircraft operations to those with an FAA and Transportation Security Administration authorization. Violators face stiff fines and criminal penalties.

Yup! That definitely makes sense. We definitely meet all the conditions to fly between 15 and 30 miles. Our address is clearly outside the 15 mile line but for some reason the drone believes it's still within the 15 mile range.

Reactions: jamba25
Yup! That definitely makes sense. We definitely meet all the conditions to fly between 15 and 30 miles. Our address is clearly outside the 15 mile line but for some reason the drone believes it's still within the 15 mile range.

Hey Sean...I live maybe just short of 5miles outside of D.C. I know the struggle all too well. I manage to get some flight time in throughout various parts of Md. I would like to connect with you & maybe we could find somewhere locally near to Mavic..fly safe.

An update from DJI:

We have adjusted the no-fly zone of Washington, DC. to follow the FAA regulations.

Please have a check via below map. Authorization Zones can be unlocked by yourself. Please confirm the address where you want to fly is a red zone or yellow zone.
DJI - The World Leader in Camera Drones/Quadcopters for Aerial Photography

To unlock a restricted zone, please use Individual unlocking in below link.
DJI GEO System - Up-to-date Information On Where to Fly

Reactions: Aaluka
Hey Sean...I live maybe just short of 5miles outside of D.C. I know the struggle all too well. I manage to get some flight time in throughout various parts of Md. I would like to connect with you & maybe we could find somewhere locally near to Mavic..fly safe.

Any advice would be welcome.. I live 18 miles out of D.C. And still cannot fly.

Well it looks like DJI finally made some adjustments to their NFZ map for DC when you use the DJI GO 4 app. The red and yellow rings around DC stayed the same but the green ring is finally in line with the FAA restricted area map.

DJI GO MAP
336f80430c0e6670027b193141887d23.jpg

DJI GO 4 MAP
da768848aca92fac18882706c092219a.jpg

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Opus3