DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

No TFR but - “no drone zone” during the event

dmitriy

Reactions
So Warriors parade is happening downtown Oakland today 6/15/2017. There are NO TFR's issued for the area. In fact there is a NOTAM for UAS operation in the parade area
NOTAM UAS Operating Area OAK_06/080
DEFINED AS .5NM RADIUS OF OAK326005.1
SFC-300FT AGL 1706151500-1706152359.

However then we have articles like this: Security at the Warriors’ NBA championship parade can detect rogue drones (lets not discuss dedrone for now)
“We are requesting that no drones are flown in the area of the parade,” said Officer Johnna Watson, who handles media relations for the Oakland Police Department. Watson said the entire parade route and nearby areas are a “no drone zone” during the event. Police and media helicopters are expected to be flying during the parade, and Watson said there’s concern about keeping those aircraft safe.

Considering they are 'requesting' AND there is already a NOTAM on file to warn Police and Media helicopters from SFC to 300ft in the area do they REALLY have a legal leg to stand on if someone safely (without flying over the crowds) is flying their sUAS in the area (non commercially)

I'm not a fan of rules & regulations, but with all the **** going on in the world in regards to terrorism I think this would be 1 rule to adhered to.

The police specified that the no-drone request is for safety of helicopters, not terrorism. (They may be thinking that, but the that's not what they said.) It's obviously a situation where the local police and the faa are not in sync. The notam sounds like they are expecting drones and have this set aside a "uas operating area." They even increased the vertical separation minima from the usual 100 feet to 200 feet.

So, I think this would fall into the current legal gap between federal and local authority.

If you're a part 107 pilot then you might have cause to argue with them because the FAA has clearly staked their claim in that area. But I'm not sure a hobby pilot would get very far with it, though.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada