DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Noob with 3looking to try new stuff....

shed

Reactions
I'm a complete drone novice, and got a Mavic Pro. Firstly, I've been stunned by how easy it is to fly. Secondly i've had only two minor issues - the DJI app just closed on me mid flight (heck it's Android it does happen), and I lost connection with the phone. Both I easily recovered from.

Here's my question. I've flown on four separate occasions, all in beginner mode, all in very clear space, played around a lot with camera, done a manual landing/takeoff.

What things should I experiment with next?

I guess that you're ready to take her out of Beginner Mode;)

You should test the RTH, return to home, function as it is the most common reason people lose their Drones. People think they have it setup right and something goes wrong. Make sure you're using the DJI Go 4 app and not the other one, home points tend to reset on the other app with the Mavic and the drone will fly away. Set your drone up to return home if your controller disconnects. Make sure your return to home altitude is high enough too. I have mine set to 50m.

Now go to an open field start up the drone let it acquire the home point and then take off high and far, but still within line of sight. Stop in mid air and disconnect the controller. If everything works the drone should start heading back. If it heads the wrong way, or starts landing or doesn't move at all after 5 seconds, turn your controller back on and reassert control and let us know. Testing the drone's behavior in the event of an RC disconnect is prudent to ensuring proper drone behavior. I test it every time there's a software update to any device involved in the flight.

Of course, you don't have to do this, I do it to make sure I don't lose my drone and I can't manually bring it back for some reason.

Before attempting a RTH, make sure you read up on how to stop the RTH if it isn't going as you expect.

This is the best RC aircraft I've even flown simply because you can simply let go of the controls if things go south. Other RC's require active recovery.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Glenn-S