DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Northern California Airborne (Bay Area)

Daniel

Reactions
So, I am researching getting my first drone (Mavic Pro), currently trying to understand all the rules (there should be a Drone Laws for Dummies). How friendly or unfriendly is it to fly in this area? I understand I will have to travel somewhat to find great places to fly. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I would hate to spend al this money, and be extremely limited on being able to fly.

Thanks in advance,

Daniel

Most parks are off limits now. Certainly. State Parks, Nationals and East Bay. It is best to just get away from people.

Reactions: ReefDeep
I'm interested in Eastbay, Northbay areas to fly. A list of recommendation would be welcome. I've seen a lot of folks fly down in the park north of the Berkeley Marina.

I have flown 'drones' for a few years now. Most of my stuff has been on the coast. I also belong to the East Bay Radio Controllers as I also fly fixed wing. I do all of my testing at the field. The best advice that I can give is to learn to fly. Almost every 'fly away' that I read about on the forums are people relying on the technology and not knowing how to fly. i.e. learn to fly figure eights in the sky.

Reactions: Skydog
North Bay here (santa rosa) and I've found out the Bay Area can be troublesome. I've found some awesome places towards the cost but Marin county and east bay can be troublesome. Regional parks freak about drones and I've found the best way to go is open paths parks.

Mavic - North Bay, CA

Reactions: tanner707
Anyone know if Sausalito, Napa/Sonoma or Walnut Creek are off limit ? Gonna be vacationing in SF in July with family, but plan on brining my Mavic. Usually go to those areas.

Anyone know if Sausalito, Napa/Sonoma or Walnut Creek are off limit ? Gonna be vacationing in SF in July with family, but plan on brining my Mavic. Usually go to those areas.
They should not be. Check the B4UFLY app. You can also fly in the park near the Berkeley Marian

Reactions: scott rand
They should not be. Check the B4UFLY app. You can also fly in the park near the Berkeley Marian
I figure I can get some really nice shots of Napa/Sonoma, usually go on a wine tour when I vacation in the Bay Area. Also, Sausalito may be my favorite Bay Area town, so would love to get some video/pics of it, especially by the marina and some houseboats. Also may be going on a tour of Carmel/Monterey, so should be able to get some great shots there as well. Did that tour the last time I vacationed in the Bay Area in 2015, but didn't have a drone back then.

Lived in the Bay Area for 7 years, my favorite place on earth, plan on retiring there some day. The Bay Area has some of the best scenery in the States, well, basically most of California does.

As a Bay resident, I also am finding it very difficult to fly in the Bay Area due to our parks and airports. Looking at the NFZ areas, it does appear Sausalito is open, but in and around Golden Gate is NFZ, and with Mount Tam being a park, that prohibits a lot of the Marin area...

Hopefully some day these NFZs open up a little...

I think it is some how tighter now.
I've been flying in Baylands Park and now DJI app wants me to verify myself since it is now a certain zone that needs user's verification...

I'm in Vacaville visiting family but I don't know if I'll get out away from the NFZ here to fly today. I was really hoping to since I live I. Alaska and the warm weather here is a nice change!

Reactions: kendegg
Most parks are off limits now. Certainly. State Parks, Nationals and East Bay. It is best to just get away from people.

NOT TRUE. State parks have NEVER been off-limits. You guys do know how to use google before you spout off lies, right?

https://www.parks.ca.gov/pages/937/files/csp_uas.pdf

Only Wilderness Areas, Natural Preserves, and Cultural Preserves have a no-motorized vehicle policy, which includes UAS. Just research the park, and they usually have a number to call and ask if it is ok, or what areas of the park it may be allowed in.

Let's get out and make some great videos!
- Retoxx

If you fly in a State park PLEASE PLEASE obey all rules and policy's as I fly in them a lot, and do NOT want this privileged revoked because of a few bad apples. I always check at the Ranger station to ask permission, ask if there are any 'out of bounds areas' and to let them know what space I am in and to pleaes let me know if there are any issues. I have for the most part been met with politeness and a thank you for checking. I have been told not to fly over campsites at less than 100' and to please launch from a specific area away from sites. These are not unreasonable requests and I always comply.

If you fly in a State park PLEASE PLEASE obey all rules and policy's as I fly in them a lot, and do NOT want this privileged revoked because of a few bad apples. I always check at the Ranger station to ask permission, ask if there are any 'out of bounds areas' and to let them know what space I am in and to pleaes let me know if there are any issues. I have for the most part been met with politeness and a thank you for checking. I have been told not to fly over campsites at less than 100' and to please launch from a specific area away from sites. These are not unreasonable requests and I always comply.

Sounds completely reasonable to me! On the contrary, maybe if more people adapt this method, regulations won't be so constraining!

Mind sharing which parks you've had success with?

Thanks in advance!

Sounds completely reasonable to me! On the contrary, maybe if more people adapt this method, regulations won't be so constraining!

Mind sharing which parks you've had success with?

Thanks in advance!
Most of the places I fly are in NorCal, so Indian Valley, Union Valley, Fallen Leaf (over the lake or shore, no flying over the camp sites) Wrights lake, I did fly in the Tahoe National Forest and a Ranger saw me but didn't say anything. I think as it wasn't a National Park he wasn't concerned. I also filmed Bridal Vale Falls from the car park at twin bridges, not sure if it was allowed or not, no people around. Also places in the Eldorado National Forest, again not a Park, but I was back packing at 7500' and not a soul around at the time (this was with a P3).

Hey there,
i am airline pilot from germany and arrived yesterday at san jose staying for 4 days here.So anyone interested to go flying today in san jose or san francisco?its my first time with my mavic in california and would be great to find some locals here and get some tips where to fly.thank you already and if anyone want to meet the next days to fly around let me know.
Greetings from santa clara
Manuel

Is treasure island a good place to fly? I've seen videos of people flying there as well as drone deploy mentioned they have done flight tests there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fbri7