Northern California Airborne (Bay Area)

Discussion in 'Northwest USA' started by Daniel, Nov 13, 2016.

1. Daniel

Daniel Member

So, I am researching getting my first drone (Mavic Pro), currently trying to understand all the rules (there should be a Drone Laws for Dummies). How friendly or unfriendly is it to fly in this area? I understand I will have to travel somewhat to find great places to fly. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I would hate to spend al this money, and be extremely limited on being able to fly.

Thanks in advance,

Daniel

2. bschaub

bschaub Member

Most parks are off limits now. Certainly. State Parks, Nationals and East Bay. It is best to just get away from people.

3. Skydog

Skydog Active Member

I'm interested in Eastbay, Northbay areas to fly. A list of recommendation would be welcome. I've seen a lot of folks fly down in the park north of the Berkeley Marina.

4. bschaub

bschaub Member

I have flown 'drones' for a few years now. Most of my stuff has been on the coast. I also belong to the East Bay Radio Controllers as I also fly fixed wing. I do all of my testing at the field. The best advice that I can give is to learn to fly. Almost every 'fly away' that I read about on the forums are people relying on the technology and not knowing how to fly. i.e. learn to fly figure eights in the sky.

Skydog likes this.
  5. Achilles

Achilles Active Member

North Bay here (santa rosa) and I've found out the Bay Area can be troublesome. I've found some awesome places towards the cost but Marin county and east bay can be troublesome. Regional parks freak about drones and I've found the best way to go is open paths parks.

Mavic - North Bay, CA