DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Northern California Airborne (Bay Area)

Went up to Lake Sonoma which is a federal reserve. Talked to the rangers who told me you can fly anywhere except near the physical dam.

Went up to Lake Sonoma which is a federal reserve. Talked to the rangers who told me you can fly anywhere except near the physical dam.

Great place to fly but word of warning. Significant tick saturation there.

North Bay - California

Reactions: theallyeezy
Treasure island is a great place for SF cityscape shots. Most state parks are also available with a few exceptions. Unfortunately the East Bay regional Park district has a drone ban on all of its parts. San Mateo County Parks also ban drones. As far as the coast is concerned, everything south of Pescadero is a marine mammal protected area. That means you cannot fly over the water but you can fly over land.

Pt. Reyes and Marin Coast is difficult as it is virtually 100% Golden Gate National Recreation Area and off limits as it is run by the NPS which follows National Park Service Drone bans.

A lot of the beaches between Santa Cruz and Santa Barbara are difficult to fly because of airports (Pismo) or wildlife protections. Water from Carmel to Cambria are protected but the land is not. This is a tricky thing so I recommend flying inland more so. South of Pismo is restricted air space for a military base.

Either side of Santa Barbara is good if you avoid any airports. And Santa Cruz does not have an NFZ but you have to avoid flying over crowds. Hope this helps!

A lot of the beaches between Santa Cruz and Santa Barbara are difficult to fly because of airports (Pismo) or wildlife protections. Water from Carmel to Cambria are protected but the land is not. This is a tricky thing so I recommend flying inland more so. South of Pismo is restricted air space for a military base.

Either side of Santa Barbara is good if you avoid any airports. And Santa Cruz does not have an NFZ but you have to avoid flying over crowds. Hope this helps!

Looks like the coast is just skechy in general. I went to So Cal this past weekend and had planned to go fly at Palos Verdes but the winds were just too strong for me to feel comfortable on my 2nd flight with the Mavic.

Side question....do you use hivemapper with your mavic? How is it? I'm looking at other options aside from GO. Thought about Litchi but read it has issues right now with the Mavic.

Looks like the coast is just skechy in general. I went to So Cal this past weekend and had planned to go fly at Palos Verdes but the winds were just too strong for me to feel comfortable on my 2nd flight with the Mavic.

Side question....do you use hivemapper with your mavic? How is it? I'm looking at other options aside from GO. Thought about Litchi but read it has issues right now with the Mavic.

Right now - we don't support the Mavic. The GO app has been the best option in my experience so far.

Any recommendations in the south bay? I tried Rancho San Antonio but its open only to single prop and non-video RC. I live within 5 miles of San Jose Airport so I have to venture out to fly.
Try Baylands Park

Reactions: Warrior1
Try Baylands Park

Thanks! I will give it a shot.

*update* checked Airmap and its giving me some advisories. Whats the procedure to notify the correct people?

e24302165bc1a80097654818c9094bfe.jpg

Ive had similar challenges in the South Bay. Ortega park in Sunnyvale is clear as well as Stanford Hills Park in Palo Alto. Campbell in general is pretty safe as well

Reactions: MavicPeter
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada