DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Northern IL / Southern Wisconsin Stateline Area

Just made an account to check-in. Janesville, WI here. Rock County fairgrounds are wide open for in town flying and just outside the aerodrome exclusion area.

Just ordered a Mavic for work. My flying has been mostly RC helos and two smaller fpv quads I've managed to smash into trees pretending to fly across Endor.

Looking forward to finding folks to fly with as I will be brand new to DJI and aerial photography. Should also point out I use Osmo+ and Osmo mobile for work so if we do have a meet-up I'm happy to bring out some other fun gear from DJI for folks to check out.

My big plan is to use this for VR. I have a Vuze 360 camera pre-ordered and when that comes in I'll be figuring out how to strap that to the top of the mavic to produce 360 video for FB/VR application. I'm seen the accessory belt that allows for the kodak offering to be used but the fuze is very different form factor; smaller, lighter and more aerodynamic so hoping it will be easy to figure out making that work.

Ambitious project! Keep us posted! I travel to Janesville several times a month to repair equipment and have driven by the fairgrounds. It's strange indeed to see farm animals and such right in the middle of town to say the least! You're allowed to fly there? That's great!

Reactions: WiscoUp
Ambitious project! Keep us posted! I travel to Janesville several times a month to repair equipment and have driven by the fairgrounds. It's strange indeed to see farm animals and such right in the middle of town to say the least! You're allowed to fly there? That's great!
It's a great site and goes unused most of the year. Events on some weekends but on weekdays the gate is open and no one uses the huge open spaces so no worries about pedestrians, power lines, etc. I spent many hours flying through the empty barns and grandstands there with fpv racers and only had interested convos with the 4-H volunteers. We live across the street and it is ridiculously convenient to walk over and fly.

Excited to take delivery of the Mavic and do some flying. I'll ping back when I'm charged, calibrated and ready to go and if you have a mind to take a lunch break at the fairgrounds we can do a bit of flying.

Reactions: CaveDrone
"Walk across the street" dang that's awesome! I am envious. Lol [emoji12]

New Pilot checking in... Question for people in the Rockford area... Whats the best number to contact the Tower(s) before you fly. I am within the Cottonwood Airport and may also be inside the RFD ring sometimes... I tried calling one of the numbers for RFD and got a choice to leave a voicemail for the Airport Manager @ RFD. Just looking for some guidance and appreciate any replies

New Pilot checking in... Question for people in the Rockford area... Whats the best number to contact the Tower(s) before you fly. I am within the Cottonwood Airport and may also be inside the RFD ring sometimes... I tried calling one of the numbers for RFD and got a choice to leave a voicemail for the Airport Manager @ RFD. Just looking for some guidance and appreciate any replies
Email is the best option. I have a email from the tower saying i can anytime n my yard below the trees. I am three miles away. I don't have the address right now....

... looking to get a HDMI tablet and maybe Headplay googles before flying. ...

I would be interested in FPV, but the only option I can find is something like "Google cardboard" concept where the phone image is split into two and put inside a headset.

Unlike Phantom, there is no HDMI output option that I found when I looked, but it has been a while. Have you looked into this?

I am using Homido V2 with Litchi on a Galaxy s5 phone. Works well for me.

Last edited:
Laserhawk, I just emailed my FAA contact to see if he had a number for Flyers to call for notification. It's been over a year since I communicated with him so we will see if he responds.

Laserhawk, I just emailed my FAA contact to see if he had a number for Flyers to call for notification. It's been over a year since I communicated with him so we will see if he responds.

Thanks. I spent like an hour yesterday trying to find a way to contact them.

I would be interested in FPV, but the only option I can find is something like "Google cardboard" concept where the phone image is split into two and put inside a headset.

Unlike Phantom, there is no HDMI output option that I found when I looked, but it has been a while. Have you looked into this?
I just started using Nvidia shield k1 which has a HDMI output but i have not put the port to use yet.

Thanks. I spent like an hour yesterday trying to find a way to contact them.
Laserhawk, I got an answer from KRFD Operations. Please see below:

"I'm sorry to hear that you are having difficulty with contact information. We are Airport Operations and we deal with operations mainly inside the fence. For UAS flying it is the FAA tower that you need to get a hold of.

KRFD Tower - 815-484-5312

Ask to speak with Pete Sensenbrenner. He should be able to help you further. If you have difficulty reaching him then we can assist you further."

Good luck! Jim

Reactions: Kdog420000

"I'm sorry to hear that you are having difficulty with contact information. We are Airport Operations and we deal with operations mainly inside the fence. For UAS flying it is the FAA tower that you need to get a hold of.

Ask to speak with Pete Sensenbrenner. He should be able to help you further. If you have difficulty reaching him then we can assist you further."

Additional update directly from Pete:

"Jim,

It is best to coordinate prior to flying with Rockford tower during normal business hours Monday thru Friday using my phone 815-484-5318. This should be done at least 48 hours in advance of proposed flight.

Pete"

Good luck! Jim
Thanks!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maviclake