DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Not a smooth video while turning.

hammer737

Reactions
Hi..1st flight with mavic test video..noticing jerky video playback with turning the mavic while stationary hovering. the forward video looks ok but when turn to left started the video is not as smooth throughtout the turn to the left and back to the right.
shot 4K UHD at 30fps..shutter at 1/60 second with Taco RC ND8 non MC filter installed. no color profile
stock setting for sharpness/constrast and saturation. Edited in FCP Uploaded at 720p.
Anyone have any thoughts?

1min long video/turn starts at :20sec noticeable at :26sec then throughtout

Thanks

you are also getting moire effect on that fence and roof top.

Try 2.7 and 4k again doing very slow yaw pans facing a row of trees if possible.

Shoot in 24 and 30 fps on both resolutions with proper shutter speeds.

Ya my Mavic did the same thing

I sent it back after doing a bunch of tests.

I noticed straight objects like buildings and trees had this stuttering flashing effect.

Looks literally like moving pictures on a timeline.

Reactions: hammer737

I noticed straight objects like buildings and trees had this stuttering flashing effect.

Thanks for the info.

was your replacement in good working order?

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Reactions: knownbug

Sent it back as in a straight return, or to get a new mavic due to defect?

Reactions: chazzm
I sent it back for warranty to DJI

Haven't gotten it back yet.
I'm not sure if they will fix, send new unit or send back used in working order.

Warranty says they can replace with used in good working order.

I hope it's new

Reactions: hammer737
Wolf is right - I have this issue too, as do many others when yawing too quickly. (I really noticed it flying a Point of Interest around a large building) Evidently it has to do with the amount that is changing in each frame compared to the one before, and how that is processed. I assumed at first that the SD card didn't have a fast enough write speed and was dropping frames, however, my only solution thus far is to slow it down as Wolf stated above. I'm curious if the replacement unit fixes the issue Razors, as it was my assumption that the issue is firmware based / something they will hopefully correct at some point.

Try adjusting the gimbal options to as slow as possible.
Set the EXP settings to 20 for each of them.
Set pitch and roll down to about 3.
You will find that your panning and tilting is perfect for cinematography.

I will try that..thanks for the info

my settings were EXP .25/.20/.25
sensitivity ATT 100/Brake 130/Yaw end 50
Gain all at 100
Gimbal Start/Stop buffer 10
Gimbal Pitch EXP 29
Gimbal pan sych flow ON

SD card is Lexar x1000 UHS-II U3

firmware 01.03.0400

Wolf is right - I have this issue too, as do many others when yawing too quickly. (I really noticed it flying a Point of Interest around a large building) Evidently it has to do with the amount that is changing in each frame compared to the one before, and how that is processed. I assumed at first that the SD card didn't have a fast enough write speed and was dropping frames, however, my only solution thus far is to slow it down as Wolf stated above. I'm curious if the replacement unit fixes the issue Razors, as it was my assumption that the issue is firmware based / something they will hopefully correct at some point.

Thanks for the info Derek.

did you get good results after changing settings like Wolf suggests?..or did you send back for warranty work?

Thanks for the info Derek.

did you get good results after changing settings like Wolf suggests?..or did you send back for warranty work?

Yes, lowering the rates REALLY helps with the smoothness. Lowering shutter speed with a neutral density filter can also help as you ideally (obviously not always feasible with a fixed aperture) want to shoot at 1/60s shutter speed for 30fps video. If it's an image processing problem then I will hold out hope that it's corrected in a future firmware update.

As I mentioned above, the problem was super apparent when I was shooting a POI for a building with 500ft radius, as I went at 15mph to keep the video around 2:30sec per revolution to keep the size of the file down. I'm going to try again to see if I can find the maximum safe speed, however, I imagine one revolution will probably take at least 6 or 7 minutes (and will then have to speed up in post)

All I can tell you is I have spoken to people whom have a Mavic and this doesn't occur.
Also I would hold mine in my hand and perform super slow pans and same issue would occur. I also notice it in forward movement but it's more noticeable in PANs. Keep in mind mine also did this at 1080 p 24 and 30 fps.

I have watched plenty of videos of people performing faster pans and do not have this effect.

I have also been watching various forums and this issue is popping up a lot lately.

I highly doubt this is normal behaviour and if is than it's 100% unacceptable.

I have cheap 50 dollar cams that do not do this nor do many cell phones at same resolutions.

Its not about creating a cinematic shot.
Its a sensor issue that needs to be fixed.

Reactions: AyeYo and hammer737
Hi..1st flight with mavic test video..noticing jerky video playback with turning the mavic while stationary hovering. the forward video looks ok but when turn to left started the video is not as smooth throughtout the turn to the left and back to the right.
shot 4K UHD at 30fps..shutter at 1/60 second with Taco RC ND8 non MC filter installed. no color profile
stock setting for sharpness/constrast and saturation. Edited in FCP Uploaded at 720p.
Anyone have any thoughts?

1min long video/turn starts at :20sec noticeable at :26sec then throughtout

Thanks

I might be blind but what exactly am I looking for in the video? I see the jerkiness in the latest YT video razors posted. but for this one not sure exactly what to look at, the roofs have some weird waving effect? is that what is being referred to here?

Reactions: knownbug
Just noticed on my Go4 App that I had intentionally set Sensitivity to 50 on the 50-250 scale for Yaw Movement Limit before this test video flight...but when looking at the values beside the word it is showing 0..now if I change it to 51 on the scale the number beside the wording stays at 51...goes the same for Attitude and Brake.

Now you think is the number beside the wording meaning the value applied would be none or 0, or is it the fact you've selected the lowest setting on the corresponding scale.

I guess if the brake was set to 50 and the number beside the wording says 0..it would need a lot more physical space to slow and come to a stop?

firmware 01.03.0400

Last edited:
I might be blind but what exactly am I looking for in the video? I see the jerkiness in the latest YT video razors posted. but for this one not sure exactly what to look at, the roofs have some weird waving effect? is that what is being referred to here?

Thanks for responding. It is the straight edges on the white window frames that is noticeable.

the moire on the roof is not present when watching straight from SD card at 4K...i think the export from FCP at 720p caused the moire on the roof.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bahamaboy242