DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Not a smooth video while turning.

LOL...I haven't worked up the nerve to try indoors yet....not much space, too much 'stuff' in my 'space'. I agree, it's not a temp issue but just to eliminate that as remote possibility. I guess if I do try I should turn off all sensors and RTH? and use Tripod Mode?
Just hold the Mavic and walk around

No motors running

Just hold the Mavic and walk around

No motors running
Yes I did that just then. Got the same jerky / flicky results. Lots of experienced people on this thread have indicated this is normal quality for a mavic. Does anyone reading this thread have a mavic that doesn't do this? Johanna has uploaded one video, but outside of that we haven't seen any footage that doesn't have this problem. Maybe this is just something that we need to live with on the mavic?

Yes I did that just then. Got the same jerky / flicky results. Lots of experienced people on this thread have indicated this is normal quality for a mavic. Does anyone reading this thread have a mavic that doesn't do this? Johanna has uploaded one video, but outside of that we haven't seen any footage that doesn't have this problem. Maybe this is just something that we need to live with on the mavic?

I have seen plenty of videos of Mavic that do not exhibit this behaviour.

All great info and input users!
thank you for that.

I've searched mavic pan shots, mavic panning shots, mavic cinematic videos etc etc on youtube. There's obviously lots of vids...a few titled "test"...regardless, I've sampled a "few" of them...I see flying sideways not necessarily panning from stationary when somewhat closer to objects...but there are some stationary pan shots BUT from an elevated height AGL and a further horizontal distance, compared to POI shots which there are a lot.

I've found these types of "filming" are usually more pleasing to watch, but I'm not happy with the way the unit I have with stationary panning...Weather it be at 30fps or different with the accompanying appropriate settings.

I'm aware of the limitations of different sensor sizes, electronic vs mechanical shutters, lighting, system knowledge and technique.
I do not expect a Red Epic or X5 quality from this mavic but I think I should have the confidence in THIS UNIT to not have to limit creativity because of functionality. If I choose to edit videos without stationary pan shots...it should be my choice.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Last edited:
Reactions: Genko3D
Go on YouTube and look.

Honestly out of all the videos I've seen on youtube that look smooth, none are straight forward yawing/panning examples like the ones posted in this thread. All the smooth ones are either overly edited, cut, or trimmed which makes sense since they are publishing for others to see. That's why I asked for an example or link, I'm not doubting you, but I'm very interested in seeing someone just hovering and panning left and right smooth as butter.

The example I gave last night with a minor stutter at 0:25 could be cut in post and I could have a bunch of those making the overall video looking smooth but that's not what we are discussing here

I don't have links to the vids I have watched sorry,

The video issue from my Mavic is far from normal or acceptable.

Reactions: hammer737
Ok. I spent the whole day testing this 2nd Mavic. In summary, I find this one does NOT have the shakes/stutter. Messed with all kind of settings as suggested by peeps on this forum re EXP, Sensitivity, etc. In the end I found my best were 4K/30 (3840x1260) and 2.7K /30 while 1080 was the worst. Tried indoors and outdoors, just walking around and hand held. Including 2 clips here, and noting the Youtube version ( I am a total newby with YT) shows some jerking effect that does not show up directly from the SD card on my near new IMAC 27" monitor at full screen! I am getting totally smooth movement, with just the normal fast pan motion blur. Apologize for the the darkness, sun went down and forgot to remove the ND8 filter. Second one has no filter.
Dark one at 4K/30 ISO100/60 ND8 filter, with default EXP, etc settings.
With no filter, AUTO camera, the settings were ISO200/30, +0.3 EV, also default EXP, etc.
And it is -4C so temp is not an issue.
Hope this is enough detail....I'm getting brain-dead here (I think I will be adjusting settings in my sleep tonite). :) :)

Reactions: razors
OK yes I was thinking I was unsure how people got such smooth results VS mine. I thought it was just me.

See below clips I made just now
Mavic Pan Test 4k 24p 1/50 shutter pal

And trying out NTSC
Mavic Pan Test 4k 30p 1/60 shutter ntsc

What are your thoughts on these? Time to send my unit back?

Last edited:
OK yes I was thinking I was unsure how people got such smooth results VS mine. I thought it was just me.

See below clips I made just now
Mavic Pan Test 4k 24p 1/50 shutter pal

And trying out NTSC
Mavic Pan Test 4k 30p 1/60 shutter ntsc

What are your thoughts on these? Time to send my unit back?
I see the issue but it's not as pronounced as others like mine.

Try shooting some video closer to objects with straight edges like walls window frames ect.

So after reading different sites/threads it appears some monitors can't handle the 4k playback and are dumping frames. There was a suggested solution to download VLC media player and after looking at the originally stuttering footage again with VLC it's a lot smoother. Any of you still have your original stutter footage?

So after reading different sites/threads it appears some monitors can't handle the 4k playback and are dumping frames. There was a suggested solution to download VLC media player and after looking at the originally stuttering footage again with VLC it's a lot smoother. Any of you still have your original stutter footage?
That wouldn't explain why Johanna's footage is now so smooth with the new unit. I am already on my second unit because my first failed after around 20 hours, gimbal stopped holding level. I've reviewed the original raw footage from both units and the problem is consistent across both.

guys, viewing these videos, I tend to believe that 30 frames gives less stuttering than 25 frames.
Also, for those who have the issue, could you please try to pan very very slowly and see if that's minimizes stuttering ?

Here are two videos from yesterday after noun. 2k7 at 30fps all settings auto and no ND filters.

I think when yawing very slowly, the stuttering is not noticeable. What do you think?
I didn't edit the footage, I just uploaded them as they came out of the SD, I apologize for any quick movements.

Mine had the same issue on

Mine had the same issue on

I hear ya, I got the stuttering when I downgraded to 1080 also, but when I rewatched them with VLC it wasn't noticeable anymore. Just a suggestion, it took like 2 minutes to get VLC to double check. Still doesn't necessarily fix the issue but at least if anyone else runs into this thread with similar problems there may be an short term solution

Here are two videos from yesterday after noun. 2k7 at 30fps all settings auto and no ND filters.

I think when yawing very slowly, the stuttering is not noticeable. What do you think?
I didn't edit the footage, I just uploaded them as they came out of the SD, I apologize for any quick movements.

V nice, bearing in mind you were all Auto and this was just a demo, I don't think anyone could moan about the quality from that tiny camera. Lovely part of the world by the way, where is that?

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

I hear ya, I got the stuttering when I downgraded to 1080 also, but when I rewatched them with VLC it wasn't noticeable anymore. Just a suggestion, it took like 2 minutes to get VLC to double check. Still doesn't necessarily fix the issue but at least if anyone else runs into this thread with similar problems there may be an short term solution
No
Not down graded
Shot in those resolutions the effect was present

Try shooting in 1080 24 fps and 30 fps

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000