DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Notes from the manual...

___

Reactions
There are my personal notes while reviewing the manual. Thought they might come in handy to someone else. ;) There are many differences from my P2V+ and wanted to document. I also included a few things here and there for the sake of mavicpilots.com viewers.

https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/mavic/Mavic+Pro+User+Manual+V1.0.pdf
For updated manuals (when they are released)
Mavic – Specs, FAQ, Tutorials and Downloads

"There's something very important I forgot to tell you."

Unfold the prop blades before arming. (It's unclear if the three "revs" of the motors before take-off are designed to spin them out, as I have seen in some videos online. [Only during Auto-takoff?] Either way, they want you to unfold them.)

Pause button on controller: emergency braking (will have to test that!)

Sport Mode: Forward and Downward Vision System is disabled, the aircraft will not be able to sense and avoid obstacle in S-mode. Ground Station and the Intelligent Flight functions are not available in Sport Mode.

Aircraft will not be able to avoid obstacles while in Profile and Spotlight mode. Use these modes in open filed.

The aircraft will switch to P-OPTI state when it is only using Vision System for stabilization.

The aircraft will automatically switch to P-ATTI mode when the GPS signal is weak and lighting conditions are too dark for the Forward and Downward Vision System. The aircraft will only use its barometer for positioning to control the altitude.

Flight Mode Indicator Lights:

Red and Yellow Flash Alternatively: Compass Calibration Required

Outdoor Flight
Green Flashes Slowly: P-mode or S-mode with GPS

Indoor Flight
Green Flashes Twice: P-mode or S-mode with Forward and Downward Vision System

RTH:

The aircraft cannot avoid obstruction during the Failsafe RTH when Forward Vision System is
disabled. Therefore, it is important to set an suitable Failsafe altitude before each flight.

User cannot control the aircraft while the aircraft is ascending to its failsafe altitude. (Look out for overhang canopy!) However, user can press RTH button once to exit ascending and regain control.

When light conditions are not suitable for the vision system - during SMART RTH the user can also immediately exit from Smart RTH by using the Flight Pause Button on the remote
controller or press the Stop icon on the DJI GO app.

If RTH, including Smart RTH and Low Battery RTH, is triggered between 16 and
66 feet (5 and 20 meters) from the home point
, and Forward Vision System is
activated: RTH altitude is overridden to be only 32 feet (10 meters).
The aircraft will start landing immediately if the Forward Vision System is deactivated. Remember this when you take off from the dock!

You cannot rotate (yaw) the aircraft during RTH while Forward Vision System is enabled. Otherwise it can't see what's in front of it.

Battery:

The Mavic battery really is a smart battery, but...

End the flight as soon as the DJI GO app displays the “Low Battery Level Warning” in low temperature environments.

Keep the battery indoors or a warm place to warm it before flying in low temperature environments.

To ensure optimal performance of the battery, keep the battery temperature above 20°C.

In cold environments, insert the battery into the battery compartment and allow the aircraft for
approximately 1-2 minutes to warm up before taking off. Seems like a good one to note!

Don't insert or remove a battery when it is turned on.

"Don't cross the streams." (Ghostbusters)

When Critical battery level warning is triggered and the aircraft begins to land automatically,
you may push the left stick upward to make the aircraft hover at its current altitude, giving you
an opportunity to navigate to a more appropriate landing location.

The aircraft will land automatically if the current battery level can only support the aircraft long enough to descend from its current altitude. The user can only use the remote controller to alter the aircraft’s orientation during the landing process.

Precision Landing performance is subject to the following conditions:
Take off altitude must be greater than 10 meters. Not sure why but keep in mind.

ActiveTrack:

Be extra vigilant when using ActiveTrack in any of the following situations:
The tracked subject is moving on a snowy surface. ('cause "Winter is coming".)

Aircraft will not be able to avoid obstacles while in Profile and Spotlight mode. Use these
modes in open filed.

Gesture Mode:

Enabling GPS on your phone will allow the Mavic to follow with more accuracy while flying in
Gesture Mode. (Interesting)

Forward and Downward Vision System:

Downward Vision System is only effective when the aircraft is at altitudes of 0.3 to 13 meters.
The Forward and Downward Vision System may not function properly when the aircraft is flying
over water.

Keep the animals away from the aircraft when Downward Vision System is activated. The sonar
sensor emits high frequency sounds that are only audible to some animals. (That's the other reason why your dog is going nuts!)

Remote Controller:

Mode 1, Mode 2, and Custom Mode are possible.

The Flight Mode is locked in P Mode by default, regardless of switch position
. To switch flight modes, go to Camera view in the DJI GO app, tap the icon and enable “Multiple Flight Modes.” After enabling multiple flight modes, toggle the switch to P and then to S to fly in Sport Mode.

Camera:

Do not remove the Micro SD card from the Mavic Pro when it is turned on. (That's how you corrupt your files.)

Single video recordings are capped at 30 minutes.

Protect the gimbal at all times (TU)

Equivalent of a 35mm lens.

Flying in heavy fog or clouds may make the gimbal wet, leading to temporary failure. The gimbal will recover full functionality after it dries.

App/Wifi:

You must power off the aircraft when switching from RC to WiFi.

Wi-Fi QR Code on the front arm is for Android devices only.

When using Wi-Fi in a wide open area with no Electromagnetic Interference, transmission distance is approximately 262 ft (80 m) at an altitude of 164 ft (50 m). The maximum flight speed is 9 mph (14 kph)

Flight:

When calibrating the compass, rotate from the center axis of the aircraft, not the center access of you or where you are standing. (Instead of holding the Mavic and spinning, spin the Mavic in a circle.)

Make sure to bring your shades, maybe keep an extra pair in your bag.

Operating Temperature - 32° to 104° F (0° to 40° C)

Flight Modes:

Display on Remote - Description:

BEGINNER - In Beginner Mode. (Nice!)
GPS MODE - In P-GPS Mode
OPTI MODE- In P-OPTI Mode
ATTI MODE - In P-ATTI Mode (Not sure if you can switch them or if they only switch on their own.)
SPORT MODE - In Sport Mode

BAT TEMP HI - Mavic batter is too hot (not the remote's).
BAT TEMP LO - Mavic battery is low (not the remote's, and not your bat's)

NO RTH - Aircraft cannot come home. :(

Hope it helps! If you like it. "Like" it. TU

Last edited:
Nice notes, thank you for sharing @___. I'm going to leave a few tips here as I'm sure many first time drone owners will be reading this further down the road.
  • Always check the airspace you are flying in if you are not always flying at the same location. Be sure you are aware if you are in controlled or uncontrolled airspace.
Safe and happy flying! :)

Nice list of things to keep in mind. There will undoubtedly be quite a few things to stay aware of with so much advanced technology and features packed into these birds.

Reactions: ___
If you are flying in Sport mode you may get a gimbal overload warning when flying aggressively. If you back off, the warning will go away. After one extreme flight, I did have to do a gimbal calibration. Note I am on the latest firmware but things may change once users start to receive theirs.

Reactions: ___
If you are flying in Sport mode you may get a gimbal overload warning when flying aggressively. If you back off, the warning will go away. After one extreme flight, I did have to do a gimbal calibration. Note I am on the latest firmware but things may change once users start to receive theirs.
Ed, I assume this warning is from excessive wind pressure on the camera/gimbal and or G-forces fighting against the gimbals attempt to keep a specific orientation.

Let me get this right... so existing Phantom 3 owners don't need to practice sports mode??

Reactions: Skydog
Excellent input - Thanks all! Once I get my machine I hope to be able to decipher all the acronyms you use!! ATTI; OPTI; IMU, P-Mode etc??????

Regarding Atti Mode, I found this @ DJI Go (Tutorials/Fly Safe):

"E. Enable multiple flight mode.

Open DJI GO> MC Settings>AdvancedSettings> Multiple flight mode

When aircraft is getting interference, it will switch to Atti mode which will stop GPS and compass operation and RTHfeature will not be available. Pilot also can switch aircraft to the atti mode, if there is some incorrect behavior of aircraft discovered."

So, it's supposed the Pilot can manually command to Atti Mode.

Anyone can pls check this?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

This is possible with other DJI aircraft, but it cannot be done on the Mavic.

Reactions: Slat
Take off altitude must be greater than 10 meters. Not sure why but keep in mind

Because it will "take a picture" of where it took off, so it can come back "precisely" to the same spot.
You must also take off vertically to over 10m (so no pushing that right stick yet, only left stick up for a verticle climb)

Reactions: Skydog
There are my personal notes while reviewing the manual. Thought they might come in handy to someone else. ;) There are many differences from my P2V+ and wanted to document. I also included a few things here and there for the sake of mavicpilots.com viewers.

https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/mavic/Mavic+Pro+User+Manual+V1.0.pdf
For updated manuals (when they are released)
Mavic – Specs, FAQ, Tutorials and Downloads

"There's something very important I forgot to tell you."

Unfold the prop blades before arming. (It's unclear if the three "revs" of the motors before take-off are designed to spin them out, as I have seen in some videos online. [Only during Auto-takoff?] Either way, they want you to unfold them.)

Pause button on controller: emergency braking (will have to test that!)

Sport Mode: Forward and Downward Vision System is disabled, the aircraft will not be able to sense and avoid obstacle in S-mode. Ground Station and the Intelligent Flight functions are not available in Sport Mode.

Aircraft will not be able to avoid obstacles while in Profile and Spotlight mode. Use these modes in open filed.

The aircraft will switch to P-OPTI state when it is only using Vision System for stabilization.

The aircraft will automatically switch to P-ATTI mode when the GPS signal is weak and lighting conditions are too dark for the Forward and Downward Vision System. The aircraft will only use its barometer for positioning to control the altitude.

Flight Mode Indicator Lights:

Red and Yellow Flash Alternatively: Compass Calibration Required

Outdoor Flight
Green Flashes Slowly: P-mode or S-mode with GPS

Indoor Flight
Green Flashes Twice: P-mode or S-mode with Forward and Downward Vision System

RTH:

The aircraft cannot avoid obstruction during the Failsafe RTH when Forward Vision System is
disabled. Therefore, it is important to set an suitable Failsafe altitude before each flight.

User cannot control the aircraft while the aircraft is ascending to its failsafe altitude. (Look out for overhang canopy!) However, user can press RTH button once to exit ascending and regain control.

When light conditions are not suitable for the vision system - during SMART RTH the user can also immediately exit from Smart RTH by using the Flight Pause Button on the remote
controller or press the Stop icon on the DJI GO app.

If RTH, including Smart RTH and Low Battery RTH, is triggered between 16 and
66 feet (5 and 20 meters) from the home point
, and Forward Vision System is
activated: RTH altitude is overridden to be only 32 feet (10 meters).
The aircraft will start landing immediately if the Forward Vision System is deactivated. Remember this when you take off from the dock!

You cannot rotate (yaw) the aircraft during RTH while Forward Vision System is enabled. Otherwise it can't see what's in front of it.

Battery:

The Mavic battery really is a smart battery, but...

End the flight as soon as the DJI GO app displays the “Low Battery Level Warning” in low temperature environments.

Keep the battery indoors or a warm place to warm it before flying in low temperature environments.

To ensure optimal performance of the battery, keep the battery temperature above 20°C.

In cold environments, insert the battery into the battery compartment and allow the aircraft for
approximately 1-2 minutes to warm up before taking off. Seems like a good one to note!

Don't insert or remove a battery when it is turned on.

"Don't cross the streams." (Ghostbusters)

When Critical battery level warning is triggered and the aircraft begins to land automatically,
you may push the left stick upward to make the aircraft hover at its current altitude, giving you
an opportunity to navigate to a more appropriate landing location.

The aircraft will land automatically if the current battery level can only support the aircraft long enough to descend from its current altitude. The user can only use the remote controller to alter the aircraft’s orientation during the landing process.

Take off altitude must be greater than 10 meters. Not sure why but keep in mind.

ActiveTrack:

Be extra vigilant when using ActiveTrack in any of the following situations:
The tracked subject is moving on a snowy surface. ('cause "Winter is coming".)

Aircraft will not be able to avoid obstacles while in Profile and Spotlight mode. Use these
modes in open filed.

Gesture Mode:

Enabling GPS on your phone will allow the Mavic to follow with more accuracy while flying in
Gesture Mode. (Interesting)

Forward and Downward Vision System:

Downward Vision System is only effective when the aircraft is at altitudes of 0.3 to 13 meters.
The Forward and Downward Vision System may not function properly when the aircraft is flying
over water.

Keep the animals away from the aircraft when Downward Vision System is activated. The sonar
sensor emits high frequency sounds that are only audible to some animals. (That's the other reason why your dog is going nuts!)

Remote Controller:

Mode 1, Mode 2, and Custom Mode are possible.

The Flight Mode is locked in P Mode by default, regardless of switch position
. To switch flight modes, go to Camera view in the DJI GO app, tap the icon and enable “Multiple Flight Modes.” After enabling multiple flight modes, toggle the switch to P and then to S to fly in Sport Mode.

Camera:

Do not remove the Micro SD card from the Mavic Pro when it is turned on. (That's how you corrupt your files.)

Single video recordings are capped at 30 minutes.

Protect the gimbal at all times (TU)

Equivalent of a 35mm lens.

Flying in heavy fog or clouds may make the gimbal wet, leading to temporary failure. The gimbal will recover full functionality after it dries.

App/Wifi:

You must power off the aircraft when switching from RC to WiFi.

Wi-Fi QR Code on the front arm is for Android devices only.

When using Wi-Fi in a wide open area with no Electromagnetic Interference, transmission distance is approximately 262 ft (80 m) at an altitude of 164 ft (50 m). The maximum flight speed is 9 mph (14 kph)

Flight:

When calibrating the compass, rotate from the center axis of the aircraft, not the center access of you or where you are standing. (Instead of holding the Mavic and spinning, spin the Mavic in a circle.)

Make sure to bring your shades, maybe keep an extra pair in your bag.

Operating Temperature - 32° to 104° F (0° to 40° C)

Flight Modes:

Display on Remote - Description:

BEGINNER - In Beginner Mode. (Nice!)
GPS MODE - In P-GPS Mode
OPTI MODE- In P-OPTI Mode
ATTI MODE - In P-ATTI Mode (Not sure if you can switch them or if they only switch on their own.)
SPORT MODE - In Sport Mode

BAT TEMP HI - Mavic batter is too hot (not the remote's).
BAT TEMP LO - Mavic battery is low (not the remote's, and not your bat's)

NO RTH - Aircraft cannot come home. :(

Hope it helps! If you like it. "Like" it. TU

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

Regarding Atti Mode, I found this @ DJI Go (Tutorials/Fly Safe):

"E. Enable multiple flight mode.

Open DJI GO> MC Settings>AdvancedSettings> Multiple flight mode

When aircraft is getting interference, it will switch to Atti mode which will stop GPS and compass operation and RTHfeature will not be available. Pilot also can switch aircraft to the atti mode, if there is some incorrect behavior of aircraft discovered."

Anyone can pls check this?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Do the front obstacle avoidance sensors not work in ATTI mode? It seems counter intuitive to turn off obstacle avoidance when it is in the most difficult mode to fly.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fast54