DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Notifying ATC.

OralndoMavic

Reactions
Has anyone been told by ATC when calling in for notification and request for air space for drone operation to go to the Request a Waiver/Airspace Authorization – Small Unmanned Aircraft System (sUAS) web page and fill in the proper information. Then call back to get clearance. On two separate occasions last week controllers told me to do this.

Needless to say I did not fly but I needed to. There was confusion on my part at the web page they sent me to has to want to fill out and submit. Time of flight, location and altitude, contact information, etc. Is easy enough to fill in.

I understand about getting waivers/(COA) for special circumstances.

I have been flying my drone periodically now for a month and have called and gotten clearance via the phone. The flights are in a commercial application (Roof Inspections) to which I have taken and receive my license. The flights are typically less than 100 feet in elevation for a period of time of not more than 15 minutes.

Any thoughts.

If you are US, part 107, you MUST submit an airspace authorization to fly commercially within controlled airspace. If you are flying recreationally, you can receive authorization over the phone.

Even after you submit your request you must wait for the official authorization (which can take weeks) before you can fly commercially, within that airspace. If you've been flying commercially within controlled airspace you are very lucky you haven't been caught. You can loose your license in a heartbeat.

I'm surprised you didn't learn that as part of your 107 training.

Thanks for the input. As i mentioned prior to any flight, i called ATC and got clearance and did not fly without it. I am acquainted with the waver and COA. I thought though if you had phone clearance with ATC, that would be proper notification.

Your point is well taken. Thanks !

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PetefromNZ