DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Notifying heliports

Kevin Cummings

Reactions
Today I'm planning on taking video of a procession for a fallen police officer the will pass close to my house. Since I will be posting this on Facebook I thought it would be best to follow to the letter guidelines set forth by the FAA and notify all the tower managers. Out of the 5 I'm required to contact only 1 answered and didn't seem to really care. So what's the use?

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

You did the right things and all you need to do is try to contact them. Just log that you did it in case you are ever challenged. One other note, be careful with the mission you are planning. The FAA does not allow flying over groups of people without a waiver (see Part 107.39).

I made certain not to fly over the people that lined the street as the stream of police car went by. Oddly enough to I received a call from Cleveland police radio unit to contact Cleveland airport approach to advise them of my flight. This was not necessary as where I was flying was well out of the 5 mile NFZ. I did call then and gave them all the info regarding my flight plan. When he asked me how close I would be and I answered 9 miles he told me it wasn't necessary and that the police had it all wrong. I laughed a bit when I agreed and explained that he was the first person I spoke to that had a clue on what the FAA requires.

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

Reactions: SteelFlyer
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SFC