DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Now THIS is a real multi charger!

I picked mine up local, but the store is www.frys.com

I installed it by unsoldering the "load" in, right next to where i soldered in the ground wire thats missing. I put the switch inline with the incoming hot wire before it gets to the board.

On the ground wire I soldered it from the plug to the board and to an eye that goes around the bolt that holds the 120v plug to the case. So I have a ground on the case and the board.

I might open it back up for pics later as i didn't think to take any while i was busy working.

The top I drilled a hole and used a square file to open it up to fit my Switch which pushes down and snaps in place.

I thought about putting the switch on the ends instead of top but with the vents it wasn't gonna sit right or look right. So i just put it in the top corner where there was an empty spot on the board and it left me room.

The switch was just a standard two pin, 10 amp mini or micro switch. I didn't get the fancy one thst lights up when on. Lol

Gotta love Fry's, I can spend hours wandering in there. They have just about everything for the DIYer!! Glad there's one in Austin!!

Reactions: austindave
A Mavic battery depleted to 15% takes approximately 45 minutes to charge using the DJI OEM car charger. The Mavic battery is 3830 mah and charging at 1C would require 3.8 amps. Since the OEM car charger is rated at 6 amps, doing a little math gives you a C-rate of 1.58C. I have yet to come across a Lipo battery that can not be safely charged at 2C but the fact is that the slower the charge the longer your batteries will last.
Let's round off the 1.58C to 1.6C. Basically, all this means is that if you parallel charge Mavic batteries and you want them to all charge in 45 minutes then you need to provide 3.8 amps per battery x 1.6. Charging 3 Mavic batteries should only take 45 minutes if you provide 18.24amps. The Mavic batteries are part of a new bread of intelligent batteries that have the charger built into the battery. The control unit, the balancing plugs, temperature sensors and all the parameters that we would normally set on something like my "icharger 208B" are all automatically controlled inside the battery.
As other members have correctly pointed out, all you need is a power supply providing the correct voltage and enough amps to charge the amount of batteries you want to charge together!
With the Mavic batteries all the work is done for you internally. You don't have to worry about C-Rate or buying a para board. All you need is a good quality power supply. I can't comment on the quality of the 5 in 1 charger because I don't have one. I will say this, it only provides 13.5 amps across all 3 charging connectors. That's only 4.5amps. To bad they did not match the amperage of the car charger and provide the 6 amps per connector.
If you want truly excellent parallel charging capabilities, like being able to charge up to 7 Mavic batteries together in parallel in less than 45 minutes( requires almost 50 amps ) then just wait a few more months till the after market suppliers start selling the Mavic battery plugs with banana plugs on the other end so you can plug the charging cord directly into the power supply of your choice. Ive been using 2 dell server computer power supplies connected together, providing 50amps to parallel charge Lipo batteries for years. You can build this yourself for less than $50 bucks and when your done you will have a top notch, hi quality power supply that can charge just about anything you throw at it. So if your not in a rush just wait a few months.

That sounds a good idea I've got a great 4 way charger which runs off a separate psu. Wasn't cheap but after my experience off a cheap multi charger off eBay it had good reviews it went Bang and smoked wouldn't touch another again.
I could do with a good xt60 or xt90 to dji adaptor.

Good tip. I have one of these due here any day. Search for 'Mavic 5in1' on eBay and you will find tons. Note the nut/bolt just to the left of the power connector. Solder a 2" wire to the empty terminal, crimp or solder a ring lug to the other end and put it under that nut. Scratch a little bit of paint off first and you will be good to go.

UPDATE : I received mine today. My tip on grounding the case will work HOWEVER the power cable supplied is only two wire so you would need to replace the power cable with a three wire cable (one that has a ground pin on the wall socket end).

I also noticed it is 110/220v. That is a super bonus for travelling !

Nice. What gauge wire did you use?

Ive been using 2 dell server computer power supplies connected together, providing 50amps to parallel charge Lipo batteries for years. You can build this yourself for less than $50 bucks and when your done you will have a top notch, hi quality power supply that can charge just about anything you throw at it. So if your not in a rush just wait a few months.

I have always used old computer power supplies and for the past few years the converted Dells as you do . They work perfect and I am waiting for a supplier to make the Mavic lipo connections available . I was tempted to buy the cheap blue charger just to snip the leads off ,lol

I have always used old computer power supplies and for the past few years the converted Dells as you do . They work perfect and I am waiting for a supplier to make the Mavic lipo connections available . I was tempted to buy the cheap blue charger just to snip the leads off ,lol
Great minds think alike!
I was also tempted to do the same!
I have 4 Mavic batteries and figured I can wait a few months. It's all about convenience.

Reactions: rydfree
Can someone please write the total power draw of the charger in Watts so it is clear how strong an inverter one needs to buy to charge the batteries from the car? Would a 200W one suffice?

Just bought one of these and have yet to add the ground wire, which is something I plan on doing. Pretty easy mod. I tested it out and with two batteries charging from about 30% it took about 80 minutes. I was a little surprised, for some reason I was thinking it would be quicker. One thing that was a little unsettling is when plugging it in to a wall socket the plug sparks. It's too bad they didn't include an on/off switch. I tried it with batteries plugged and unplugged into the charger and it didn't make any difference.

Just bought one of these and have yet to add the ground wire, which is something I plan on doing. Pretty easy mod. I tested it out and with two batteries charging from about 30% it took about 80 minutes. I was a little surprised, for some reason I was thinking it would be quicker. One thing that was a little unsettling is when plugging it in to a wall socket the plug sparks. It's too bad they didn't include an on/off switch. I tried it with batteries plugged and unplugged into the charger and it didn't make any difference.

Pretty easy to add an inline on/off switch. I used a file, filed a square hole and installed a rocker switch on the top of the case. As for the sparking, it is the electrolytic caps charging up super fast when you plug into the mains. A bit unsettling but not dangerous in any way.

My "blue" Mavic charger came with the earth pin connected to the case, HOWEVER the manufacturer had not scratched the paint off underneath the washer and therefore when tested there was no continuity to the earth. I scrated the paint under the washer to the bare metal, refitted the bolt and tested, the case is now earthed. Nice try by the manufacturer, but failed to earth effectively. I'm in the UK 230V we like metal to be earthed for safety.

Reactions: Lilleman
I've been using this charger for a long time now and I haven't seen any damage to my batteries, and it doesn't charge them quicker.

Love mine and just to reiterate, this is not truly a charger it is just a 13.5v power supply. No different than an official DJI "charger". The PROS of this device are that it essentially has 3 DJI power supplies inside its blue housing PLUS 2 USB power supplies as well.

DJI batteries have all the charging smarts built in so they will accept a steady 13.5v from anything to charge themselves.

Pretty easy to add an inline on/off switch. I used a file, filed a square hole and installed a rocker switch on the top of the case. As for the sparking, it is the electrolytic caps charging up super fast when you plug into the mains. A bit unsettling but not dangerous in any way.

Thanks and glad to hear it's not just me.

My "blue" Mavic charger came with the earth pin connected to the case, HOWEVER the manufacturer had not scratched the paint off underneath the washer and therefore when tested there was no continuity to the earth. I scrated the paint under the washer to the bare metal, refitted the bolt and tested, the case is now earthed. Nice try by the manufacturer, but failed to earth effectively. I'm in the UK 230V we like metal to be earthed for safety.

I haven't actually taken a look inside the unit yet. Mine could be the same. Save me a few minutes if it was.

harryb,

Read the small print in the description, this is not a parallel charger, it charges one at a time ! 1 bat 1hr, 2 bats 2hrs, & 3 bats 3hrs.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DoubleBarS