DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Oahu, Hawaii?

Nice juroda. Get battery terminal covers if they are going to be exposed. Dirt in other stuff is a pain to get out. Or use tape.

When the opportunity presents, then I'll get the covers but I never did have any problem with my dslr battery before with the same recessed terminal.

I agree with acrolog2. No issues with the wind. I haven't tried the filters but hope to do so soon!

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

I agree with acrolog2. No issues with the wind. I haven't tried the filters but hope to do so soon!

Check out tburt50 on youtube. He's on Oahu too and has some videos showing the difference of filters. Wish I waited for polarized one!

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Thanks! Excited to be back on the islands soon. Have you guys been flying in sport mode to fight the wind or is it not necessary?

Hi all, just got my MP in yesterday and am really excited to see what it can do. I've tested it in my front yard yesterday and played around with it to get comfortable with the controls.
For those that have flone drones for quite some time, what are Do's/Do Not's that I should really know about? I've tried looking up and have found links that you all provided as well, but still a little confused as to where I can/can't fly my drone.
Also, have anyone insured their drones through State Farm? Other's from the states have used SF rather than using DJI Care. Would like to know what route y'all took.
Btw, I'm Mike and I'm on Oahu, Ewa in particular.

Reactions: AllDubyas
Hi all, just got my MP in yesterday and am really excited to see what it can do. I've tested it in my front yard yesterday and played around with it to get comfortable with the controls.
For those that have flone drones for quite some time, what are Do's/Do Not's that I should really know about? I've tried looking up and have found links that you all provided as well, but still a little confused as to where I can/can't fly my drone.
Also, have anyone insured their drones through State Farm? Other's from the states have used SF rather than using DJI Care. Would like to know what route y'all took.
Hi Mike, welcome. I'm in Kapolei/Ko Olina.
I don't have insurance or dji refresh, not sure why but I don't lol.

Super basic tips for very new flyers, learn to figure out how to fly back to yourself WITHOUT the video on the app. The app will crash on you eventually and it's nerve racking lol, but knowing how to distinguish which way to push controls to fly back to yourself if you can see the drone will help alot. Even if it's just a dot in the sky.

If you out of line of sight, be comfortable using Return to Home. Try it. See what it does in an open area not far from you. Some people say "that's emergency only" well, I tried a fire extinguisher once, there was no emergency at the time. Better to know what to expect from it and how it works. Do I use it all the time? No, but I'm ok with pushing it and waiting 10 minutes for my drone to get home trusting in the technology if my app crashes and I'm far away.

Take off and land with the drone front facing away from you, everytime. Even an experienced pilot can make a mistake with orientation if you are used to one way. One time I took off with an older drone (gps turned off) and wasn't really paying attention, it drifted toward me and pushed forward to fly away, but flew it toward myself (no injury, could have been bad).

Until you are super confident flying it, do not fly where people could come and talk to you about it. I still like being away from strangers. They don't understand anything, will walk in front of you between you and drone (signal issues and not being able to see what you're doing), ask to fly it, or just be more than you can handle and you lose concentration and make a mistake, they don't care. Doesn't cost them a dollar.

Those are my biggest things. As far as flying locations? Geofencing is pretty invasive for us on Oahu, so many areas are no fly. If you turn that off, you are left with NFZ which won't let you fly 5 miles from Kalaeloa airport, little ring arpund Dillingham for parachuters, and a big circle around Honolulu airport. Dji.com/flysafe will show you maps, or zoom out on the map on the dji go app.

North shore is busy with tour helicopters, I like to stay in some of the areas on the west side, like electric beach. There are grass fields all by yourself to take off from and fly out and no one bothers you, and less air traffic.

Hope that helps man. I'm still learning to use all of the smart flight modes and trying to learn about taking nicer video with the ND filter for the camera. Lots to learn!

If anyone wants to do a hike and bring our mavics out there and learn how to take awesome shots together let me know, just gotta smooth it over with the wife if I ditch her with the kids hehe

Great input from arcolog2! I live in Hawaii Kai and have flown at Sandy's. It could be really cool if we can hook up and fly around there. Koko Crater-Head, Sandy's, Blow hole, Makapu'u, and whales are coming into season.

Yea that iPhonedo guy on youtube is visiting here right now, posting some mavic vlogs. He's kinda funny, he hates whales now. "Whales come up to play around, take off with drone, they hide, damnit whale"

I live in Kalihi so I really have to drive to places to fly my mavic. Anything interesting here is too close to the airport. The app do ask me if I want to unlock something but I never went through with it. I don't have a youtube channel but I posted some clips I've captured with the mavic on instagram. Still learning how to get smooth with panning (yaw?). It would be interesting to meet other mavic owners.

Aloha! Just got my Mavic last week and I run both Dji refresh and got a "Personal Article Policy" from State Farm. The cost to insure the Mavic is $30/yr. State Farm doesn't advertise drone insurance and my State Farm insurance agent needed guidance from the underwriters if in fact the Personal Article Policy covers drones. I'm assuming it does because a policy was opened. For $30/yr, IMO....cannot go wrong. In the event I ever lose my Mavic, I can claim. Stolen, damage or whatever, I can claim it. Of course I would use Dji refresh for damage drone first, but you cannot use Dji refresh if you lose your drone. This is where the insurance policy comes into play.

Last week drove to Ko Olina, wanted to fly anywhere between any lagoon. Where do you find parking?? Do I just bite the bullet and pay for parking?
Lagoon 4, the furthest one by the Marriott has the biggest lot and it's free. There is the marina parking, also, for 10 bucks. Or the $5/6 lot by paradise cove, when it's open. Don't get caught parking by the restaurants and walking away though, they do ticket and tow people.

No flying tomorrow boys and girls, 60mph gusts expected!

Lagoon 4, the furthest one by the Marriott has the biggest lot and it's free. There is the marina parking, also, for 10 bucks. Or the $5/6 lot by paradise cove, when it's open. Don't get caught parking by the restaurants and walking away though, they do ticket and tow people.

No flying tomorrow boys and girls, 60mph gusts expected!

Right on.. give it another go next time I'm around that area.

Right on.. give it another go next time I'm around that area.
Were you looking to get video of lagoon s, hotels or something specific? Be careful near lagoon 4 though, don't go toward industrial park, Kalaeloa airports NFZ starts very close to there.

Reactions: Ken Schmidt
Were you looking to get video of lagoon s, hotels or something specific? Be careful near lagoon 4 though, don't go toward industrial park, Kalaeloa airports NFZ starts very close to there.

Looking to fly over up to 2 lagoons probably. Just looking to fly over places I haven't flown before.

Looking to fly over up to 2 lagoons probably. Just looking to fly over places I haven't flown before.
Sweet, I flew from the grass between lagoon 1 and 2, and was able to fly from harbor to paradise luau with no issues, even with trees in my way, signal stayed full bars

Hi Mike, welcome. I'm in Kapolei/Ko Olina.
I don't have insurance or dji refresh, not sure why but I don't lol.

Super basic tips for very new flyers, learn to figure out how to fly back to yourself WITHOUT the video on the app. The app will crash on you eventually and it's nerve racking lol, but knowing how to distinguish which way to push controls to fly back to yourself if you can see the drone will help alot. Even if it's just a dot in the sky.

If you out of line of sight, be comfortable using Return to Home. Try it. See what it does in an open area not far from you. Some people say "that's emergency only" well, I tried a fire extinguisher once, there was no emergency at the time. Better to know what to expect from it and how it works. Do I use it all the time? No, but I'm ok with pushing it and waiting 10 minutes for my drone to get home trusting in the technology if my app crashes and I'm far away.

Take off and land with the drone front facing away from you, everytime. Even an experienced pilot can make a mistake with orientation if you are used to one way. One time I took off with an older drone (gps turned off) and wasn't really paying attention, it drifted toward me and pushed forward to fly away, but flew it toward myself (no injury, could have been bad).

Until you are super confident flying it, do not fly where people could come and talk to you about it. I still like being away from strangers. They don't understand anything, will walk in front of you between you and drone (signal issues and not being able to see what you're doing), ask to fly it, or just be more than you can handle and you lose concentration and make a mistake, they don't care. Doesn't cost them a dollar.

Those are my biggest things. As far as flying locations? Geofencing is pretty invasive for us on Oahu, so many areas are no fly. If you turn that off, you are left with NFZ which won't let you fly 5 miles from Kalaeloa airport, little ring arpund Dillingham for parachuters, and a big circle around Honolulu airport. Dji.com/flysafe will show you maps, or zoom out on the map on the dji go app.

North shore is busy with tour helicopters, I like to stay in some of the areas on the west side, like electric beach. There are grass fields all by yourself to take off from and fly out and no one bothers you, and less air traffic.

Hope that helps man. I'm still learning to use all of the smart flight modes and trying to learn about taking nicer video with the ND filter for the camera. Lots to learn!

If anyone wants to do a hike and bring our mavics out there and learn how to take awesome shots together let me know, just gotta smooth it over with the wife if I ditch her with the kids hehe

Thanks for the quick reply and tips. Yes, I've been just playing around with it to become more comfortable with the controls and see how it reacts to certain things.

Aloha! Just got my Mavic last week and I run both Dji refresh and got a "Personal Article Policy" from State Farm. The cost to insure the Mavic is $30/yr. State Farm doesn't advertise drone insurance and my State Farm insurance agent needed guidance from the underwriters if in fact the Personal Article Policy covers drones. I'm assuming it does because a policy was opened. For $30/yr, IMO....cannot go wrong. In the event I ever lose my Mavic, I can claim. Stolen, damage or whatever, I can claim it. Of course I would use Dji refresh for damage drone first, but you cannot use Dji refresh if you lose your drone. This is where the insurance policy comes into play.

I didn't get to post it as soon as I got it, however, just like you, I was able to get the PAP policy from SF for $30 a year as well. I also decided to get the DJI Refresh just in case SF didn't come through. Wished USAA did a similar policy but they don't cover drones.

Does anyone have a GPS tracker on their drone?

I thought about going to Ko'olina today as well, or had planned to during the week, but didn't want to chance the high winds. A friend of a friend took its MP out today and got some unreal footage...what guts to do so, lol. Look forward to seeing other Mavic owners out there.

I thought about going to Ko'olina today as well, or had planned to during the week, but didn't want to chance the high winds. A friend of a friend took its MP out today and got some unreal footage...what guts to do so, lol. Look forward to seeing other Mavic owners out there.
Yea I'm super bummed about the wind this weekend. Hope it settles down soon. It's gusting pretty good out there right now. Think I might need to trim the tree outside my window, it's hitting a bit lol.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roligtroll