DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

[Obstacle Alarm] detection because of a low winter sun.

Sparcky

Reactions
Hi,

Today, I freaked out .....
At 50 meter height suddenly the obstacle alarm sounded on the controller and the app.... and there was nothing in the neighbourhood (????) ...... I descended the Mavic quickly and some small hiccups during the descend ..... The alarm sounded continuously ....

Reason: The Mavic was looking directly in the low winter sun.
Solution: Ignore it and turn a few degrees and the alarm goes away ...
(I did several other flights with the same alarm if you do 360 degrees turns, But rock solid. :) )

No worries, all okay and happy flying to all !!

Hi,

Today, I freaked out .....
At 50 meter height suddenly the obstacle alarm sounded on the controller and the app.... and there was nothing in the neighbourhood (????) ...... I descended the Mavic quickly and some small hiccups during the descend ..... The alarm sounded continuously ....

Reason: The Mavic was looking directly in the low winter sun.
Solution: Ignore it and turn a few degrees and the alarm goes away ...
(I did several other flights with the same alarm if you do 360 degrees turns, But rock solid. :) )

No worries, all okay and happy flying to all !!
Yup happened to me a couple times...Just a few minutes ago as a matter of fact. I also suspect glare when flying over water and descending to be cause of auto landing that I experienced last week. I was holding the left stick down and it went into landing mode...This is overridden by pressing left stick FULL up.
FORCE LANDING WTF?!

I will be disabling all vision sensors from now on unless I am flying within tight quarters. I am used to flying without the nannies and usually fly above and clear of any obstacles.

Just ran into this as well. The best solution I guess is to turn off avoidance when forced to fly into the sun...?

Would like some ideas on the Obstacle warning, as well.

Happened to me yesterday 17 Dec. Went for a flight in NH after the snowfall stopped. Ascended to 200ft and began heading due East. There was no sun since the sky was still overcast heavily from the snow front that had gone thru. No snow was descending during my flight.

There weren't any obstacles in my path. I got warnings and flight stoppage at least 4 times. I traveled about 1000ft from my Home point. I decided to bring the Mavic back in after the last warning. I was flying with the Gimbal cover on (although I wouldn't expect that to matter).

Any guesses what's going on to kick the warning on?

Sent from my SM-T713 using MavicPilots mobile app

Had it happen to me back to back over the ocean in Hawaii. Scary stuff. Had to fly zig zag routes to get it back to shore with not much battery left the first time.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

I had the same experience on my maiden flight yesterday. I have read and watched videos for over a week before attempting to fly the Mav, so I don't end up with a bad story to share. I thought something was wrong with the settings or quad till I found this post. Not sure what to do about my sensors in this situation. I fly generally in a very open place with no obstacles. What should I turn off. Any help from the pro's?

haha same here. First time it went off was just at sunrise, middle of nowhere, and it was completely silent out. I ran into some fog and wam the alarm went off screaming at me. Scared me to death until I read the screen. Partially my fault for having my volume up that high in the AM.

Put it in 'S mode which turns of collision avoidance then back to p mode

Sent from my SM-G935F using MavicPilots mobile app

Q: Switching back to P mode from S mode, will it then fly slower Without the Avoidance Sensors On? We don't have to go into Settings to turn off the sensors? I don't understand why switching back to P-mode would keep the sensors off, when they are turned on in settings. How 'bout we leave it in S-mode til we get er under control?

Q: Switching back to P mode from S mode, will it then fly slower Without the Avoidance Sensors On? We don't have to go into Settings to turn off the sensors? I don't understand why switching back to P-mode would keep the sensors off, when they are turned on in settings. How 'bout we leave it in S-mode til we get er under control?

Once you switch it back from S mode to P mode the settings you took off with should reactivate in P mode. Or at least that is how my Mavic works. I flip into Sport mode when I am going through fog, or flying into the sun to avoid the sensors going off "by accident" and stopping the drone mid flight. Or if I am fighting wind I will kick it into sport mode. Other than that I leave it in P mode to use the sensors as intended.

Reactions: J-Dub
Thank you Squamer. I will try next time I fly. I purchased a gimbal cover from f/stop hoping it would cure the problem. Does anyone know if filters help?

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

Happened to me today, about 100m high, well above any obstacle. Mavic just wouldnt go back to homepoint towards the low sun and would keep stopping and screaming at me about obstacles. I had to turn it around and kept backing up until I reached the home point.
I am not sure the gimbal cover has any effect on this issue as I think Mavic uses the other two front fixed cameras for for obstacle detection (pointing the main camera down did not have any effect on the obstacle avoidance system as it kept on screaming and protested against going forward). Would be nice to mention this issue in the manual.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ken28e