DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Obstacle Avoidance False Alarms

MrMavic

Reactions
This is very annoying, and I hope DJI can come up with a future solution in an update. This happens so often on my flights by my local river that I find myself avoiding flying toward the sun next to the river. I know what some of you will say "Turn off the OA in the App", but that is a pain in the keister work around that I want to avoid because if you forget to turn it back on and the situation arises where you need it ..... it's bye bye birdy.
DJI, please give us a solution on this obvious defect.Screen Shot 2017-06-11 at 8.48.58 AM.png

Had a couple of warnings but nothing that really annoys me.What I have done is turn OA off in RTH just in case.More so in case of signal loss.

I guess it's so annoying to me because it brings the Mavic to a stop over and over, wasting battery power and ruining the video to boot.

Reactions: scooot
This is very annoying, and I hope DJI can come up with a future solution in an update. This happens so often on my flights by my local river that I find myself avoiding flying toward the sun next to the river. I know what some of you will say "Turn off the OA in the App", but that is a pain in the keister work around that I want to avoid because if you forget to turn it back on and the situation arises where you need it ..... it's bye bye birdy.
DJI, please give us a solution on this obvious defect.View attachment 14743

Fly backwards using the map view to avoid this to get where you want to go, pictures taken into the sun are poor quality anyway.

Fly backwards using the map view to avoid this to get where you want to go, pictures taken into the sun are poor quality anyway.

That's a good point Randy, a step easier than de-activating the sensors, but still at risk of collision if not high enough. Thanks

The problem is, it's not a defect, as you characterize it, but rather a limitation of the technology. That's what there's a setting to disable it.

There's nothing DJI can do about this in firmware or software. Amazing as OA technology is, the current capability just doesn't have the smarts that a human brain does to detect these false positives. It may not be possible with the sensing cameras used.

I have no doubt they're working on improving the technology, and being able to detect and reject these false positives is certainly a part of that R&D. However, it will always be designed with a bias for false positives rather than the opposite, which I doubt any of us would prefer.

Reactions: scooot

I believe the OA cameras will throw an alarm if they become over exposed, the mavic is essentially blind and does what any human would do. Stop. This explains the issues flying towards the sun; very annoying.

As far as I’m aware it’s hardware limit. Unless DJI try and detect the overexposure and compensate for it.

My solution is flick it into sports mode, this disables the OA sensors. Then flick it back when you are done. Better control ability will be needed to get useable video in sports mode but thats and operator issue, not a mavic one[emoji106]

Hope this works for you!

Niall

My concern is that the GO app crashes(only had it happen once) and I lose video. So I hit the RTH button and the OA kicks in because its flying into the sun. So instead of RTH the MP just hovers in place.

Assuming I cant get the app going again I guess the only option is to switch to Sport Mode and figure out the correct orientation and watch the distance count down in order to bring 'er back home.

Does anyone have any other methods for the above scenario?

Yes, @niallxd, Sport Mode!!!

What is wrong with me that I can't seem to remember that? That I'm 55?

What were we talking about? Why are all you people in the bathroom here with me?

And hey! Get off my lawn you **** kids!

What were we talking about?

headscratcher-550x340.jpg

Yes, @niallxd, Sport Mode!!!

What is wrong with me that I can't seem to remember that? That I'm 55?

What were we talking about? Why are all you people in the bathroom here with me?

And hey! Get off my lawn you **** kids!

What were we talking about?

headscratcher-550x340.jpg

Haha! Never mind eh! That’s why we have places like these[emoji106]

Wonder what I’ll be flying at 55...34 years from now?

My concern is that the GO app crashes(only had it happen once) and I lose video. So I hit the RTH button and the OA kicks in because its flying into the sun. So instead of RTH the MP just hovers in place.

Assuming I cant get the app going again I guess the only option is to switch to Sport Mode and figure out the correct orientation and watch the distance count down in order to bring 'er back home.

Does anyone have any other methods for the above scenario?
Exactly happened to me on lost connection to magic. Screen went black, no control of magic. Just waited and panicked. It did return home eventually. Reviewing video, on rth, it faced the sun an kept ascending, rapidly spun around three times, ascended, spun again, ascended, and finally headed home. Still don't know what caused signal loss, only 100 high and 800 ft distance, Los.

Hello all,

I just got my Mavic today. I had this also happen to me, after a few minutes of flying this evening. The sun had already set, and it was doing these stops headed mostly away from where the sun had set (still had ambient light.) I was using a Samsung S7 edge. My son connected his iPhone 7 to the RC, and it worked PERFECTLY. So, it seems like it's not really the drone doing it at all, but rather the controlling app? Any ideas? This was so frustrating!

Personally, I think putting the Mavic into sports mode is not the fix for this problem. Since there is no obstacle avoidance in sports mode, you be more likely to crash into something, especially trying to fly with a small phone screen. Then there's the added problem of forgetting to take it back out of sports mode.
This isn't just an occasional problem, it happens on nearly every flight if I fly at a certain angle to the sun. I think DJI needs to get off their butts, put their thinking caps on, and fix this problem.

Reactions: friocapital
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
petravka