DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Obstacle Avoidance/Sensors

htommy

Reactions
Does everyone's obstacle avoidance constantly alarm when facing the sun,i can't even fly with my sensors on ,they are so annoying along with the high wind warning ,wondering if this would keep it from returning home since it just wants to constantly hover in position sensing an obstacle ,anyways i just keep them off but its a selling point that is flawed,thoughts?

I think I would try calibrating the sensors, I have heard of this before but if it is so bad that the you can not fly it is an issue, I would also maybe make sure the two front camera lenses are clean with a cotton swab.
Regards,
-d.

Reactions: htommy
Haven't experienced it myself, but it's a very common complaint on the forums. And yes, it absolutely can prevent your Mavic from making it home in an emergency RTH situation. If there's a chance this could happen (ie. RTH westward into low sun) then you should disable OA for RTH. This is a separate setting from the general OA, and even if you switch off the general OA setting, it will still be enabled for RTH unless you disable that setting.

Probably a dumb question but you did remove the little plastic transparent stickers covering the front obstacle cameras after you got it, right?

After getting a replacement Mavic under warranty (blurred image issue) I had similar problems on my first flight. But I finally realized I had forgotten to remove the (nearly transparent) stickers covering the two forward obstacle sensors - simply pulling them off solved my problem.

Probably a dumb question but you did remove the little plastic transparent stickers covering the front obstacle cameras after you got it, right?

After getting a replacement Mavic under warranty (blurred image issue) I had similar problems on my first flight. But I finally realized I had forgotten to remove the stickers on my new Mavic - simply pulling them off solved my problem.

ya[emoji849],lol

so i calibrated and no problems in the air but now it doesn't fly backwards or stop when your about to hit something or hesitates when you put your hand underneath if you put your hand in front it gives warning but doesn't back up,it is enables [emoji848]

so i calibrated and no problems in the air but now it doesn't fly backwards or stop when your about to hit something or hesitates when you put your hand underneath if you put your hand in front it gives warning but doesn't back up,it is enables [emoji848]

not worried about as i dont use it anyway

The Mavic's not actually supposed to automatically fly backwards to avoid an obstacle, so that part sounds fine. The only feature that allows the Mavic to fly backwards automatically is if you enable backward flying for Active Track.

It should stop, though, when it's close enough to an obstacle. Are you saying it no longer slows down and stops when an obstacle is detected?

As for the downward sensor, what do you mean by "hesitates when you put your hand underneath?"

The Mavic's not actually supposed to automatically fly backwards to avoid an obstacle, so that part sounds fine. The only feature that allows the Mavic to fly backwards automatically is if you enable backward flying for Active Track.

It should stop, though, when it's close enough to an obstacle. Are you saying it no longer slows down and stops when an obstacle is detected?

As for the downward sensor, what do you mean by "hesitates when you put your hand underneath?"

yes it will keep flying forward but detects obstacles

yes it will keep flying forward but detects obstacles

when i put my hand underneath it hesitates goes up a lil bit stops then goes up more etc.,maybe calibration caused it,seemed uneventful during the process,the only reason i did a calibration was because it was alarming when facing the sun ,so now thats fine but other problems as mentioned above,thanks for reply i mainly want obstacle avoidance for RTH otherwise i don't need it but its bummer something is going on,makes me uneasy

Try reading the manual!
You will see that OA only works in the forward mode as the sensors are only in the front!
If you fly backwards or side to side, you will have no OA.

Try reading the manual!
You will see that OA only works in the forward mode as the sensors are only in the front!
If you fly backwards or side to side, you will have no OA.

what i was saying is the the drone wouldn't fly into sun because of OA after calibration on the cou DJI Assistant it will keep flying forward without stopping the alarm sounds but it will fly into an object,i already know OA is not on the back or side as i stated the OA on the bottom is hesitant when i stick my hand under it

Reactions: Grey Wolf
didn't mean to say it would back up from ,i meant stop and won't go up if my hand is underneath,no problems tho i recalibrated everything and its working fine now thanks

When flying/shooting sunsets, I have to turn forward OA off - or the Mavic just keeps slamming on the brakes... Like when I shot this (OA off):

When flying/shooting sunsets, I have to turn forward OA off - or the Mavic just keeps slamming on the brakes... Like when I shot this (OA off):

mine was doing that and its a known problem i've learned, i recalibrated twice and seems to be doing fine now

the thing i was worried about was if it RTH into the sun the OA sensors would definitely keep it from returning home

Don't forget that there's now a separate option for OA during RTH. Even it you disable the main OA option, the RTH OA option is still enabled by default.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bbj5143