DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Obstacle avoidance?

SeaComms

Reactions
Out camping this weekend and just went for a fly around. Sitting at about 80m up went down toward the other end of the site around 400m away. All good no probs at all. Tried to come back, straight into 3oclock afternoon sun and every time I hit 16kmh it stopped dead with an obstacle avoidance warning. If I travelled around 10kmh no probs.

Was it just the sun causing this? Haven't had it happen before nut haven't been flying directly into the sun either. We did spot two birds flying around it when it got closer but had me quite nervous that I wasn't going to get it back!

EDIT to add: MP is at .600 firmware

Last edited:
This happened to me on my last flight also. I wonder if it might be related to the new firmware? I was flying at sunset with no obstacles around.

Hasnt happened to me yet but i think if you are certain there are no obstacles in the way then just switch to sport mode to return home.

Flying into low sun with obstacle avoidance on it has a tendency to do this, can be fooled into thinking sun is an obstacle.
If you are doing any flying in those conditions then turn off OA.
Same as low flying over water or snow turn off Landing Protection.
Just remember what you have disabled.

Reactions: SeaComms
I'm beginning to agree with a few gurus on here and adopt the idea of turning all OA off. Never had a problem flying the Phantoms. I think it's just a selling point for non-flyers. There are, of course, certain times to employ them but not in general.

Yep sounds like so have learnt something new. I was certain there was no obstacles so I flew it backwards back to me with no probs. Will have to learn a shortcut to the obstacle avoidance.

You can leave the radar thing on and it will beep a warning but not brake.
With OA turned on, your forward speed is considerably reduced.
I don't see any need for it unless you are deliberatey wanting to get unusually close to obstacles.

If the sun is messing with you you can go in to sport mode and it turns OA off but you should be able to fly at normal or faster speed

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozwaldcore