DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Odd support case.

MavicKhan

Reactions
On account of the crash that I knew from the beginning would happen and finally did last March, because I use the Mavic to maximum extent of its amazing capabilities (...totally my fault. The Mavic was performing as it should...) I had to send it in for repairs to one of Europe’s repair centers, in the Netherlands.

The process of opening a case was extremely streamlined and everything went smoothly, with UPS picking up the Mavic at my door and the turnaround lasting a little less than 1 month, 28 days to be exact.

My Mavic was flying fine after the mishap, once the propellers were replaced, but the gimbal, as expected, reacted badly to such abuse and it started jittering from time to time during flights.

Also, the lower body encasing broke at the left aft screw point, with the screw still holding the encasing and everything looking solid enough that I wouldn’t have send it in just because of that (this impressed my greatly, as to how intelligent and secure the whole frame design is).

After having received it, acknowledged and fully confirmed the reported issues, the repair center quoted the repair and I was extremely pleased with said quote: 85.50 EUR, (transit both ways included) for a “gimbal control board” and a “middle frame” replacements.

Just now, I received the Mavic back and, to my surprise, when I opened the case I came across an unit with the battery I had sent in by mistake still included and installed but featuring all the stickers of a new bird.

This tickled my curiosity, I decided to check the serial number and, surely enough, it is a different one.

The Mavic I got back seems in perfect cosmetic conditions (craft and gimbal) so it is either a whole new unit or a carefully refurbished one.

I am now thorn...

I appreciate the “whole new” thing (...especially given the price I paid for the repair...) but it so happens that not all Mavics are created equal (...as abundantly demonstrated on these pages...) and mine was a perfect flying machine, without I single hiccup whatsoever...never!

All I wanted was the gimbal repair and frame replacement.

Do you guys think I should question DJI support about this or should I just go ahead and keep it?

MK

Last edited:
Was it a refresh claim? If so, they probably sent you a new or refurbished bird. If it wasnt a refresh claim, they probably replaced the top body which contains a different serial number.

No, it was not and that's where it gets a bit more complicated... :rolleyes:

I really wanted to purchase "DJI Care Refresh" but, given the limited notice DJI gives about the time frame it must be bought after acquiring a unit, I let the opportunity slip.

I was then advised here, on this very same forum, that I could still buy the warranty after said period but, when I went to DJI site to find out what was needed, I was extremely put-off by the the almost-professional-video-production required for proof of eligibility (...single shot, tripod, zoom-ins, zooms outs, the works..) so, again, I passed.

Now, as this unit was under repair my youngest son casually mentioned that I might be able to finally get it.

I put some thought into it and contacted the "DJI Care Refresh" team, asking them if, since the unit was on their side to be repaired and the repair conditions stated that the unit would be fully tested for operational compliance before being sent back to me, if that couldn't be the eligibility test to finally subscribe the required coverage.

At first they didn't quite understand what I was talking about but, after a few exchanges, they finally understood, said yes and, last week, I was finally able to buy the "DJI Care Refresh" coverage.

The problem, now, is that the certificate has been issued with the previous S/N and, precisely, I also don't know how this will impact any future claims.

I have sent an email to the DJI Care representative that handled the "DJI Care Refresh" request for her to explain (a) Why I got a unit with a different S/N and (b) how will this impact the extended coverage I just bought.

MK

You will have to do all the tests required, and then apply for the Refresh. DJI records the serial number changes and is aware that its the same account name but different serial number.

You will have to do all the tests required, and then apply for the Refresh.

No, not really.

They agreed to issue the certificate based on the fact that the drone was with them, to check for full compliance. They released the authorization, I paid and immediately got the certificate. In that particular regard, it was extremely effective customer support.

DJI records the serial number changes and is aware that its the same account name but different serial number.

Great. :)

Let's see if the very competent support representative that handled my request confirms this.

MK

Exactly the same happened to me and I had the same thoughts especially as the one I got back was obviously pretty well used.. DJI don't repair your Mavic and send it back to you, they have a stock of repaired Mavics that they replace yours with and I guess the broken ones are sent back to China to be repaired. My care refresh was, I assumed, transferred to the replacement unit.

There is zero chance of you getting your original Mavic back.

Thank you for your input.

I will see how this one flies.

If it under performs, they will have a problem because, in the EC consumer protection is not the joke it is in the US.

That was my Mavic. They contractly agree to have it repaired under the terms described in the quote and it is not up to them to swap units no matter how convenient it is to them and how advantageous they might assume it is for the costumer.

MK

If it under performs, they will have a problem because, in the EC consumer protection is not the joke it is in the US.

Yes, good luck with that. If you want help from Americans, and there are alot of Americans on this board, best to lay off calling anything about America a joke. DJI is DJI, and they handle their customers the same globally. So dont feel privileged because you are in Portugal.

I don't feel privileged.

Here is how it should it be anywhere else. They can handle customers "globally" all they like. Here, in the EC, they (...or their agents...) have to honor a 2-year warranty like any other vendor, for instance.

If they say "no, it's one year" from China they will be left talking with the local outfit that sold my Mavic and, in turn, my vendor will hand them over to the European importer and the credit card company that handled the transaction.

In the EC, "being Chinese" is not an excuse to not comply with the law, if the items are sold in the EC area.

Canon tried to be "Japanese" a few years ago with a 1DMKIII and things ended up with them handing me over a completely new 4000 EUR camera, after trying to fix it the 3 times allowed by law.

MK

Further to this, I left this comment on the support satisfaction inquiry DJI sent me. I advise all owners to do the same, when their unit is swapped under assistance, by DJI's own volition:

"Although you might find acceptable replacing an unit instead of repairing it, it is not your prerogative to do so.
When a device is sent in for repair and a quote is made to repair THAT device, an underlying contract is established and the true owner of the device expects his lawful unit to be returned, not a different unit.
By law, once purchased, the unit is my property, not DJI's to decide to keep it and replace it during a repair process where the owner was explicitly quoted for an intervention on said device.
"

MK

So, in short, DJI did you the favor of letting you buy the Refresh while it was still at their facility so that you wouldnt have to go through the steps outlined in their "aircraft verification" which you found to be too difficult "I was extremely put-off by the the almost-professional-video-production required for proof of eligibility." I think DJI was gracious with you because everyone else is required to do it if they didnt do their research and forgot to buy Refresh within the 48 hour window or somehow found it too burdensome to take 30 minutes and provide proof.

How do you know that DJI sent you a different drone? You said the repaired bird had "all the stickers of a new bird." The only stickers on a Mavic are the ones on the top body. They routinely change the top body on all repairs and I have sent in many. And since you said your middle frame was damaged they probably replaced that too giving it the appearance of a new bird. I think they repaired your broken bird, as evidenced by returning it with the same battery as you sent to them. If you post your repair bill up here and let us take a look at it, Im sure thats the case.

And now that they did you the big favor of allowing you to buy Refresh without having to provide proof, if you send it in again under Refresh, you will be bound by the Refresh rules. Refresh rules state that, "Each time you request a replacement, you’ll receive a replacement unit that is new or equivalent to new in performance and reliability."

Thats in the contract that you agreed to when they let you buy the Refresh. So if you send it in under Refresh, there is zero chance you will get your bird repaired, it will be replaced with a new or as new bird.

Last edited:
Even shorter:

1. You are making a confusion between the "DJI Care Refresh" conditions (which they agreed to furnish on account of this episode, meaning, the Mavic being with them for any required evaluations) and the repair which was done outside the scope of said program. The fact that I still have 2 replacements available for the next 12 months in my Refresh account makes this self-evident. There are other reports here, on this very same forum, about drones also being swapped when sent in for repairs outside said extended warranty.

2. There many other stickers on a new Mavic apart from the top one. a) on top of the gimbal b) small transparent ones in each leg rotary assembly c) side sticker on the front leg stating it should be unfold first.

3. If a part replacement changes the s/n, something is very wrong with that approach. Does your car change the VIN when it goes to the shop for a repair.

MK

No bill. (...now that you mentioned, they didn't send me neither a bill nor the receipt for the payment. I just asked for it....)

Here's the proforma invoice.

Attachments

• Invoice.jpg
    Invoice.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 10
Thats about the lowest repair bill Ive ever seen. Looks like they repaired your Mavic, replaced the middle frame, and you got a top cover for free. They always charge me for the top cover and it has a new serial # on it, even if mine wasnt broken. You got very lucky. Replacing the middle frame is a 2-3 hour job and they only charged you $50 as a service fee.

Yes, that's what I wrote in the OP.

1. I am extremely pleased with the price I paid for the repair (...especially, since it included transit to and from Holland, via UPS).
2. I am extremely pleased that they let me enroll in the DJI Care Refresh program.
3. I am not please that they changed my Mavic that flew outstandingly for one that also seems OK but only time and multiple sorties will confirm it is one of the "good apples".

MK

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
testtest