DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Offroad Motorcycle 1st Video

SimpleDrone

Reactions
Finally finished my first drone footage edit from a ride this last weekend. First video i have actually ever edited. Any suggestions on how to get a little smoother video? Anyway.... Enjoy....

Looks like a great little track! Nice edit, and amazing Hawk cameo!

Finally finished my first drone footage edit from a ride this last weekend. First video i have actually ever edited. Any suggestions on how to get a little smoother video? Anyway.... Enjoy....

Cool video man. Beautiful location.

Check out this vid, 2 first flights playing with the active track modes. Think you could have improved some of your shots smoothness and steadiness letting the mavic do the flying.

Reactions: Tiago_Wolf

Check out this vid, 2 first flights playing with the active track modes. Think you could have improved some of your shots smoothness and steadiness letting the mavic do the flying.

Thanks, really interesting to see this active track footage, I haven't tried the feature yet, Need tho get the bike back out of the shed! 4:26 - Mavic passes over the power lines, was that just blind luck, or did you know it was high enough?! Good job!

Totally agree. I'm going to mess with the active track next ride in big bear. My concern is doing that in the hills because it flys sideways and if I'm in a canyon it could hit something considering the obstacle avoidance is only front.

What do you recommend for the different active track options for a dirtbike...? Is a bit difficult to follow close because the trails often turn abruptly and the tracking losses the bike.

Totally agree. I'm going to mess with the active track next ride in big bear. My concern is doing that in the hills because it flys sideways and if I'm in a canyon it could hit something considering the obstacle avoidance is only front.

What do you recommend for the different active track options for a dirtbike...? Is a bit difficult to follow close because the trails often turn abruptly and the tracking losses the bike.

My experience is the best footage on the bike includes the horizon. Shots only including the bike and the ground get boring fast. I always try to get the mavic as close to the ground as possible or put myself in the bottom part of the pic (instead of centered) to include the sky, even a little. I think this makes a big difference. If you are manually flying try not to jerk the camera, limit your sudden movements as much as possible (the speed settings below will help with that). When you speed up the video (as you did) these quick movements are really exaggerated.

As for automatic modes 1st and MOST IMPORTANT THING TO LEARN IS WHERE IS THE PAUSE BUTTON ON YOUR MAVIC REMOTE, THAT'S THE EMERGENCY BREAK, it stops the Mavic immediately when in autonomous modes.
Active Track -trace mode is very good at following behind you. If there is a sharp turn up ahead slow down or stop before you get there to prevent the mavic from passing you. There is also AT - Spotlight mode which limits the movement of the mavic, basically trying to keep it in one place while it tracks the subject. AT - Profile mode is my favorite, this mode allows the mavic basically track you from any angle like flying in front of you or at your 10 or 2 o'clock. Play with each and like I said know where your E-Brake is at all times. I have my Mavic controller mounted on a bag on the tank so I can always hit the e-break.

So there are setting for the gimbal speed and the mavic's Yaw speed that right off the bat that improve the smoothness and quality of your footage. See this video, the dude is long winded but has good advice:

You can also tweak the camera settings to improve lighting, color and exposure. Turning off the auto-white balance is the first and biggest improvement I've experimented with. The AWB just changes the image too much with clouds or any shading. See this video to get an understanding of how setting can drastically change things:

I suggest experimentation, experimentation, experimentation to get to know what you like best and what works best in different situations/conditions. Looking forward to your next ride, from what I can see there don't appear to be SO many of us riders experimenting with the Mavic. Most of the examples I've seen are marginally entertaining. I thought yours was very good, improve your footage quality and you'll have compelling entertainment. So far I've really just been learning about the Mavic and shooting footage to see how the mavic works/performs. I intend to get more creative with my production in the near future. Have fun and good luck!

Thanks, really interesting to see this active track footage, I haven't tried the feature yet, Need tho get the bike back out of the shed! 4:26 - Mavic passes over the power lines, was that just blind luck, or did you know it was high enough?! Good job!

Saw the power lines, pushed the Mavic above them :)

Reactions: Joely-Bird
My experience is the best footage on the bike includes the horizon. Shots only including the bike and the ground get boring fast. I always try to get the mavic as close to the ground as possible or put myself in the bottom part of the pic (instead of centered) to include the sky, even a little. I think this makes a big difference. If you are manually flying try not to jerk the camera, limit your sudden movements as much as possible (the speed settings below will help with that). When you speed up the video (as you did) these quick movements are really exaggerated.

As for automatic modes 1st and MOST IMPORTANT THING TO LEARN IS WHERE IS THE PAUSE BUTTON ON YOUR MAVIC REMOTE, THAT'S THE EMERGENCY BREAK, it stops the Mavic immediately when in autonomous modes.
Active Track -trace mode is very good at following behind you. If there is a sharp turn up ahead slow down or stop before you get there to prevent the mavic from passing you. There is also AT - Spotlight mode which limits the movement of the mavic, basically trying to keep it in one place while it tracks the subject. AT - Profile mode is my favorite, this mode allows the mavic basically track you from any angle like flying in front of you or at your 10 or 2 o'clock. Play with each and like I said know where your E-Brake is at all times. I have my Mavic controller mounted on a bag on the tank so I can always hit the e-break.

So there are setting for the gimbal speed and the mavic's Yaw speed that right off the bat that improve the smoothness and quality of your footage. See this video, the dude is long winded but has good advice:

You can also tweak the camera settings to improve lighting, color and exposure. Turning off the auto-white balance is the first and biggest improvement I've experimented with. The AWB just changes the image too much with clouds or any shading. See this video to get an understanding of how setting can drastically change things:

I suggest experimentation, experimentation, experimentation to get to know what you like best and what works best in different situations/conditions. Looking forward to your next ride, from what I can see there don't appear to be SO many of us riders experimenting with the Mavic. Most of the examples I've seen are marginally entertaining. I thought yours was very good, improve your footage quality and you'll have compelling entertainment. So far I've really just been learning about the Mavic and shooting footage to see how the mavic works/performs. I intend to get more creative with my production in the near future. Have fun and good luck!
Great info. Thanks a ton! Hitting up a big bear ride in a couple weeks, should be a good opportunity to try these new tips out. I will post after

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
svdroneshots