OMG .... I can't believe he did this in a city centre. ....

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Anthony, Nov 8, 2016.

1. Anthony

Anthony Well-Known Member

So im spending probably way to much time on youtube looking at people's Mavic flights and there are a lot of them out there so DJI are shipping them in reasonable numbers .....

Im not in the USA so can't really coment on if what this guy did was legal or not but just from a common sense point of view i will not use my Mavic in this kind of location ...

However he does shoot some nice footage

Pricey likes this.
  2. mike venziano

mike venziano Member

3. MavicJunky

MavicJunky Member

Crazy footage but I wouldn't fly in a busy city like that..

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

4. Pablo

Pablo Well-Known Member

The real crime is his haircut.

5. Anton Chigurh

Anton Chigurh Well-Known Member

That little hipster millennial fixed up his mom's basement nicely.

6. The Editor

The Editor Well-Known Member

Although the Mavic is a little marvel of technology and safety features, as this video proves, no manufacturer can safeguard against idiocy and a watered down gene pool.

7. dam

dam Well-Known Member

Don't worry .. Im sure many people reported this guy to Interpol.. Eventually one day .. the only place you could fly your drone will be in your home or in timbuktu (but wait they will most likely ban them there as well).. Ahhh the drone police on these forums !!!

Jixxer likes this.
  8. Anthony

So i take it you would fly in this location ??? i only ask as drones is a fairly new RC area for me so im not skilled enough to fly in locations like this.

9. F6Rider

F6Rider Well-Known Member

He removed the video, either got to many 'Dumb A**' remarks or was afraid of getting busted.

10. DroningOn

DroningOn Active Member

What specifically would have gotten him "busted"??

11. dam

dam Well-Known Member

The drone paparazi (police) in these forums .. instead of enjoying watching footage the

12. DroningOn

DroningOn Active Member

Ahhhh.... got it Thumbswayup

Yeah, other than launching it pretty close to too many people in my opinion, I didn't see anything out of line. Gorgeous and interesting footage!!

13. AlexSP

AlexSP Well-Known Member

Honestly... I'm well aware of the risks and the no-nos of flying drones, and above all I don't want to piss off the drone police or start this debate again but...

... after a while, it gets really BORING to keep flying and filming the same wild, free nature landscapes over and over. For someone just taking on drones it might be OK, there's a whole world of discovering out there and anything is new. But those of us from the P2 times (and older coming from R/C hobby and all) not only may have filmed this kind of "safe" spots for the 1000th time in every way imaginable, but also feel more confident for more adventurous challenges, as long as it doesn't involve serious risks or crazy stunts.

That's to say it's pretty hard to lay judgement without knowing more about each flight we see posted out there, and we're not exactly seeing the apocalyptical scenarios involving drones and helicopters and planes and ppl laid out by many not long ago, mostly when the P3 became more popular and was seen everywhere.

I didn't watch the video but there will come a time when we'll get used to drones zipping over our heads all the time, big cities and populated areas included. Not only for fun or play like most of us do right now, but also for service and who knows what else. Sure, NFZs should always be respected and good sense is mandatory, but that goes without saying.

Anthony Viscomi, ovyyus and DroningOn like this.
  14. DroningOn

DroningOn Active Member

Well said Alex!

15. phaeton

phaeton Active Member

I don't know if this is the same guy that Anthony was talking about, but I saw this one earlier. Skip to 8:00 and the guy sends up his Mavic in downtown San Francisco. He even admits during this that he wouldn't do that with his Inspire as it would "draw too much attention".

#15 phaeton, Nov 8, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2016
    ABRsanta and ovyyus like this.
  16. Anthony

Yes thats the one ... as i said some very nice flying i was just surprised he launched it at the point you noted ... i thought drone flying wasunder tighter control in the US.

It will be a long time before im ready to fly this high and far ....

Im really looking forward to my Mavic arriving as there are a ton of fantastic videos on you tube atm and more are turning up daily . ..

17. The Editor

It is and this would be against the law in the UK unless specific exemptions had been granted by the CAA under an OSC ( and it would never happen with a quad with no redundancy).

18. Anthony Viscomi

Anthony Viscomi Well-Known Member

OMG...the guy my have come off like ( mod removed) in the video, but Stanford isn't exactly a Community College so he's no idiot and he did take some great video in SF. He also hit the nail on the head by stating that the Mavic is portable and because of that he can fly it on the spur of the moment.

#18 Anthony Viscomi, Nov 8, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2016
  19. The Editor

Oh, I forgot that little bit - yes he's an idiot at the University as well.
    Flying indoors in that proximity to people's faces and then showing off that the obstacle avoidance prevented crashing into someone proves he's a sandwich short of a picnic.
    I wonder if the Universities insurers would be happy to pay out for facial reconstruction surgery if things went wrong?

20. phaeton

phaeton Active Member

Saw another vlogging reviewer in China (JaYoe Nation) flying the Mavic in a city centre. Don't know what the rules are in China, though.