DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

OMG .... I can't believe he did this in a city centre. ....

Anthony

Reactions
So im spending probably way to much time on youtube looking at people's Mavic flights and there are a lot of them out there so DJI are shipping them in reasonable numbers .....

Im not in the USA so can't really coment on if what this guy did was legal or not but just from a common sense point of view i will not use my Mavic in this kind of location ...

However he does shoot some nice footage

Reactions: Pricey
So im spending probably way to much time on youtube looking at people's Mavic flights and there are a lot of them out there so DJI are shipping them in reasonable numbers .....

Im not in the USA so can't really coment on if what this guy did was legal or not but just from a common sense point of view i will not use my Mavic in this kind of location ...

However he does shoot some nice footage

Don't worry .. Im sure many people reported this guy to Interpol.. Eventually one day .. the only place you could fly your drone will be in your home or in timbuktu (but wait they will most likely ban them there as well).. Ahhh the drone police on these forums !!!

Reactions: Jixxer
Don't worry .. Im sure many people reported this guy to Interpol.. Eventually one day .. the only place you could fly your drone will be in your home or in timbuktu (but wait they will most likely ban them there as well).. Ahhh the drone police on these forums !!!

So i take it you would fly in this location ??? i only ask as drones is a fairly new RC area for me so im not skilled enough to fly in locations like this.

Honestly... I'm well aware of the risks and the no-nos of flying drones, and above all I don't want to piss off the drone police or start this debate again but...

... after a while, it gets really BORING to keep flying and filming the same wild, free nature landscapes over and over. For someone just taking on drones it might be OK, there's a whole world of discovering out there and anything is new. But those of us from the P2 times (and older coming from R/C hobby and all) not only may have filmed this kind of "safe" spots for the 1000th time in every way imaginable, but also feel more confident for more adventurous challenges, as long as it doesn't involve serious risks or crazy stunts.

That's to say it's pretty hard to lay judgement without knowing more about each flight we see posted out there, and we're not exactly seeing the apocalyptical scenarios involving drones and helicopters and planes and ppl laid out by many not long ago, mostly when the P3 became more popular and was seen everywhere.

I didn't watch the video but there will come a time when we'll get used to drones zipping over our heads all the time, big cities and populated areas included. Not only for fun or play like most of us do right now, but also for service and who knows what else. Sure, NFZs should always be respected and good sense is mandatory, but that goes without saying.

I don't know if this is the same guy that Anthony was talking about, but I saw this one earlier. Skip to 8:00 and the guy sends up his Mavic in downtown San Francisco. He even admits during this that he wouldn't do that with his Inspire as it would "draw too much attention".

Last edited:
Reactions: ABRsanta and ovyyus
I don't know if this is the same guy that Anthony was talking about, but I saw this one earlier. Skip to 8:00 and the guy sends up his Mavic in downtown San Francisco. He even admits during this that he wouldn't do that with his Inspire as it would "draw too much attention".

I have to admit though it would be nice to fly within the city limits.

Yes thats the one ... as i said some very nice flying i was just surprised he launched it at the point you noted ... i thought drone flying wasunder tighter control in the US.

It will be a long time before im ready to fly this high and far ....

Im really looking forward to my Mavic arriving as there are a ton of fantastic videos on you tube atm and more are turning up daily . ..

Yes thats the one ... as i said some very nice flying i was just surprised he launched it at the point you noted ... i thought drone flying wasunder tighter control in the US.

It will be a long time before im ready to fly this high and far ....

Im really looking forward to my Mavic arriving as there are a ton of fantastic videos on you tube atm and more are turning up daily . ..
It is and this would be against the law in the UK unless specific exemptions had been granted by the CAA under an OSC ( and it would never happen with a quad with no redundancy).

OMG...the guy my have come off like ( mod removed) in the video, but Stanford isn't exactly a Community College so he's no idiot and he did take some great video in SF. He also hit the nail on the head by stating that the Mavic is portable and because of that he can fly it on the spur of the moment.

Last edited by a moderator:
OMG...the guy my have come off like ( mod removed ) in the video, but Stanford isn't exactly a Community College so he's no idiot and he did take some great video in SF. He also hit the nail on the head by stating that the Mavic is portable and because of that he can fly it on the spur of the moment.
Oh, I forgot that little bit - yes he's an idiot at the University as well.
Flying indoors in that proximity to people's faces and then showing off that the obstacle avoidance prevented crashing into someone proves he's a sandwich short of a picnic.
I wonder if the Universities insurers would be happy to pay out for facial reconstruction surgery if things went wrong?

Saw another vlogging reviewer in China (JaYoe Nation) flying the Mavic in a city centre. Don't know what the rules are in China, though.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
petravka