DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Ominous Email from DJI?

Andrew F

Reactions
Did you all get the email from DJI that reads "DJI Updates Process For Activating Software And Firmware Updates"?

They will be requiring full log in even if you have previously done so - almost like the initial registration. Pretty clear to me that there must be an additional layer of tracking / control being implemented. Sounds to me like the government (China, U.S., etc.) has gotten to them in a big way. I think we should all enjoy our fleeting drone freedoms before they are taken away. . . this may be a good thing, but as with most such controls, all of us law abiding citizens pay the price for fears of what bad guys might do. Bummer bummer.

Here's the body of the email if you haven't gotten it:

Dear Customers,

DJI will soon introduce a new application activation process for international customers. This new step, to take effect at the end of this week, ensures you will use the correct set of geospatial information and flight functions for your aircraft, as determined by your geographical location and user profile. All existing flight safety limitations, such as geofencing boundaries and altitude limits, remain the same.

Even if you have registered when activating your aircraft upon purchase, you will have to log in once when you update the new version of DJI GO or GO 4 App. If you have forgotten your password since your initial login, you can reset it using a function within the DJI GO and DJI GO 4 apps.

You will need a data connection to the Internet for your smartphone or tablet when you log in, in order to verify the account information and activate the updated software or firmware. If this activation process is not performed, the aircraft will not have access to the correct geospatial information and flight functions for that region, and its operations will be restricted if you update the upcoming firmware: Live camera streaming will be disabled, and flight will be limited to a 50-meter (164-foot) radius up to 30 meters (98 feet) high.

The feature applies to all aircraft (except standalone A3 and N3) that have been upgraded to the latest firmware or when using future versions of the DJI GO and GO 4 apps.

DJI encourages pilots to always follow applicable laws and regulations in the countries where they operate, and provides information about these regulations on its FlySafe website at flysafe.dji.com.

Sincerely,

Your DJI Team

I'm registered in the U.S. & got the email. I was hoping U.S. users wouldn't have to do the update but I'm not so sure now.

I've been reading a lot about folks downgrading their firmware to regain functionality lost in these "updates". It looks to me like they are going to close down that option. I'm more than a little concerned that DJI's CYA attitude is going to severely curtail our enjoyment of something we purchased based on features they advertised.

I've been reading a lot about folks downgrading their firmware to regain functionality lost in these "updates". It looks to me like they are going to close down that option. I'm more than a little concerned that DJI's CYA attitude is going to severely curtail our enjoyment of something we purchased based on features they advertised.
Agreed. I was just reading the thread that Dirk quoted above. I haven't flown in a few days and didn't get the App notice. This email was the first I heard about it. Ugh. I'm just hoping I can stay with my existing software / firmware topography and that they don't get too restrictive. Given this level of control, I'm guessing they will also be tracking our flights.

Reactions: lee11lee
Geez I may have to go back to the Phantom or finish my custom built bird to avoid these regime tactics now set fourth, bummer .

Geez I may have to go back to the Phantom or finish my custom built bird to avoid these regime tactics now set fourth, bummer .
Yeah. See my latest post. Pretty sure this means they are implementing individual drone tracking. The only reason I can think they are now requiring a new log in. There has to be additional information they are scraping from that log in that they don't currently possess.

Right. You have to read between the lines. It's not what they are doing. It's WHY! Why would they add a log in layer? I think the most likely reason is it's a tracking requirement.

Reactions: adiru
I use 2 different mobile devices. A Samsung Galaxy S7 and an iPad Mini 2.
The iPad Mini 2 is wifi only so if I disabled the wifi function, the iPad will not connect to the internet.
On the S7, I can put it into airplane mode, so it is not connected to the internet.
So theoretically, DJI would have no idea I was even there and everything should remain as it is.
Right?
I am SOOOOO glad I decided to hang on to my trusty old DJI Naza F450 Flamewheel (GPS/FPV/GoPro) and Yuneec Q500+ 4K.
At least those are not being forced to deal with DJI's NANNY complex.
I will NEVER buy anything from DJI again:mad:

Reactions: lee11lee
Yeah. See my latest post. Pretty sure this means they are implementing individual drone tracking. The only reason I can think they are now requiring a new log in. There has to be additional information they are scraping from that log in that they don't currently possess.
Yeah this whitepaper, Dropbox - DJI Remote Identification Whitepaper 3-22-17.pdf
https://www.dropbox.com/s/v4lkyr2kdp8ukvx/DJI%20Remote%20Identification%20Whitepaper%203-22-17.pdf?dl=0
Just read it.
Seems clear what the new "updates" are all about
DJI is putting in place a system that will make it possible to track all drones in real time all the time
using the same radio that is already in the Mavic
No wonder it comes with the caveat that if you don't login, re-register, etc that you can only fly 98feet high, 150 feet away.... and no live feed.
It all coming together and making sense now...
In the same whitepaper, DJI said no new hardware would be needed, only firmware changes since its using the same radio link
and that it was anticipated readiness for this summer!

It gets worse

Looks like it's going to affect third party apps like Litchi as well:

Dear developer,

In July, DJI aircraft firmware will require mobile applications that control DJI aircraft to be activated with the user’s DJI account, if that application is being used in China. This will ensure operators use the correct set of geospatial information and flight functions for their aircraft, as determined by their geographical location and user profile.

A summary of the activation system is:
On July 1, this feature will go live on all aircraft (except standalone A3 and N3) that have been upgraded to the latest firmware
Users in China will be required to activate their application by logging into their DJI account at least once every three months within the application
Activation will be persistent in the application until the user logs out
A data connection will be required to log into a DJI account
Outside of China, the SDK will automatically activate the application without requiring the user to log in
If an application is not activated, or a legacy version of the SDK is being used, all camera live streams will be disabled, and flight will be limited to a cylinder of 100m diameter and 30m height to ensure the aircraft stays within line of sight.

This week, v4.1 of the Mobile SDK will be released that will include APIs to support this system. Applications should update to v4.1 as soon as they can to support the activation system natively. For applications that are not upgraded to v4.1 or activated by the user, full aircraft functionality can still be achieved by first connecting any other upgraded/activated application on each power cycle of the aircraft. For example, DJI Go could be initially connected to the aircraft, then the user could switch to the SDK based application.

In addition, v4.1 of the Mobile SDK will include support for M200, Phantom 4 Advanced, and Individual Unlock Fly Zones. Please see the release notes for more details on the updates to the Mobile SDK.

As always, the DJI Dev Team is committed to improving your developer experience. Please report any bugs or questions you have to [email protected]. We recommend that you frequently check the DJI SDK downloads page to ensure that you are always working with the latest version of the DJI SDK.

Regards,

The DJI Dev Team

I use 2 different mobile devices. A Samsung Galaxy S7 and an iPad Mini 2.
The iPad Mini 2 is wifi only so if I disabled the wifi function, the iPad will not connect to the internet.
On the S7, I can put it into airplane mode, so it is not connected to the internet.
So theoretically, DJI would have no idea I was even there and everything should remain as it is.
Right?
I am SOOOOO glad I decided to hang on to my trusty old DJI Naza F450 Flamewheel (GPS/FPV/GoPro) and Yuneec Q500+ 4K.
At least those are not being forced to deal with DJI's NANNY complex.
I will NEVER buy anything from DJI again:mad:
I have the same two devices. Haha. And I agree. But I need to download maps so they can get me then. It'd be fine if I only flew in one location.

Ok all you hobbiest reverse engineers please step forward:cool:

DJI is putting in place a system that will make it possible to track all drones in real time all the time
using the same radio that is already in the Mavic
No wonder it comes with the caveat that if you don't login, re-register, etc that you can only fly 98feet high, 150 feet away.... and no live feed.

I agree, but I wonder how this would work.

I'm in the boonies, no wi-fi during flight, so how will they track my Mavic using its radio?

I think they're making a great case for never upgrading firmware or app software.

I wonder if they could get in legal trouble for this stunt.
--
- - Art from the Air - -

I agree, but I wonder how this would work.

I'm in the boonies, no wi-fi during flight, so how will they track my Mavic using its radio?

I think they're making a great case for never upgrading firmware or app software.

I wonder if they could get in legal trouble for this stunt.
--
- - Art from the Air - -

There are two kinds of tracking, network track and more local 'track'.

Network tracking would probably require a 3g/4g chip of some sort that goes to a cell tower like how you get internet on your phone.

The local tracking is the Mavic using its radio, the same radio that transmits to the controller, to transmit out its serial number and other telemetry omnidirectionally as far as the signal range will go. So anyone on the ground or in the air with the receiver can listen in and it is basically like how a transponder works.

It gets worse

Looks like it's going to affect third party apps like Litchi as well:

Dear developer,

In July, DJI aircraft firmware will require mobile applications that control DJI aircraft to be activated with the user’s DJI account, if that application is being used in China. This will ensure operators use the correct set of geospatial information and flight functions for their aircraft, as determined by their geographical location and user profile.

A summary of the activation system is:
On July 1, this feature will go live on all aircraft (except standalone A3 and N3) that have been upgraded to the latest firmware
Users in China will be required to activate their application by logging into their DJI account at least once every three months within the application
Activation will be persistent in the application until the user logs out
A data connection will be required to log into a DJI account
Outside of China, the SDK will automatically activate the application without requiring the user to log in
If an application is not activated, or a legacy version of the SDK is being used, all camera live streams will be disabled, and flight will be limited to a cylinder of 100m diameter and 30m height to ensure the aircraft stays within line of sight.

This week, v4.1 of the Mobile SDK will be released that will include APIs to support this system. Applications should update to v4.1 as soon as they can to support the activation system natively. For applications that are not upgraded to v4.1 or activated by the user, full aircraft functionality can still be achieved by first connecting any other upgraded/activated application on each power cycle of the aircraft. For example, DJI Go could be initially connected to the aircraft, then the user could switch to the SDK based application.

In addition, v4.1 of the Mobile SDK will include support for M200, Phantom 4 Advanced, and Individual Unlock Fly Zones. Please see the release notes for more details on the updates to the Mobile SDK.

As always, the DJI Dev Team is committed to improving your developer experience. Please report any bugs or questions you have to [email protected]. We recommend that you frequently check the DJI SDK downloads page to ensure that you are always working with the latest version of the DJI SDK.

Regards,

The DJI Dev Team
Although I do like the "if in China" clause.

There are two kinds of tracking, network track and more local 'track'.

Network tracking would probably require a 3g/4g chip of some sort that goes to a cell tower like how you get internet on your phone.

The local tracking is the Mavic using its radio, the same radio that transmits to the controller, to transmit out its serial number and other telemetry omnidirectionally as far as the signal range will go. So anyone on the ground or in the air with the receiver can listen in and it is basically like how a transponder works.

I don't think the 3G/4G would work. It would require a SIM card and a contract with a carrier.

As for the radio, it would be interesting to see if anybody's listening. Would DJI publish the frequencies?

It's getting a bit Orwellian.
--
- - Art from the Air - -

Reactions: Crayons
DJI could've shortened the email by simply stating "We own you."

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member