DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Opinions Please (Floatation Device)

I bought them but have yet to try. My biggest concern had been cross winds. Waiting for a windless day to real-world test.

I bought them but have yet to try. My biggest concern had been cross winds. Waiting for a windless day to real-world test.
there is a thread somewhere here that links to a German site where there's a video that showed stable flights and encouraging results.

Just my two cents but personally I wouldn't risk the life of a $1000 piece of hardware with some $30 foam balls (that probably can be bought at a craft store for 50 cents each.)
On the other hand, those $30.00 foam balls can save your $1000 drone if it has to land in the water. I think there's a bigger chance for them to save your drone than there is to wreck it. They would keep your gimbal out of the grass and dirt too. One test I saw said that the balls barely rose the RPM up, maybe 200 to 300 RPM. The round shape is very aero dynamic too.

Reactions: willhay555
I bought mine because I had a "near miss" coming back from two miles out on the water. If it had entered autolanding, at least the balls would provide a chance of survival. Hopefully I'll never know. I'm not intending to use for intentional water landings.

Reactions: MrMavic
Is anyone concerned about the prop wash the Mavic would create over the water? Between the prop wash and the internal fan I'd be cautious.

Reactions: ZUCSTA
Is anyone concerned about the prop wash the Mavic would create over the water? Between the prop wash and the internal fan I'd be cautious.
According to the video you just watched, I don't see any reason for concern. I would like to see a distance test with and without though. Also, it would make the Mavic easier to spot.
Anyone here think these may interfere with he downward sensors?

Last edited:
According to the video you just washed, I don't see any reason for concern. I would like to see a distance test with and without though. Also, it would make the Mavic easier to spot.
Anyone here think these may interfere with he downward sensors?
You assume that all fliers will operate under those same conditions, they won't. Most people fly without the gimbal cover attached for better video quality. I get that this might be a precautionary accessory for flights over water and better than pulling it up with a Getterback, however water can and likely will make its way into the Mavic.

I assume no such a thing, nor did I imply such. When I stated lack of concern, it was in answer to the prop wash question only. I simply asked for opinions on what other Mavic owners thought. I would think these balls would save the Mavic in a controlled landing, but if the Mavic falls upside down into the water, it would be toast most likely, but you could recover it.
I would never fly with the gimbal cover on because I want the best possible image. As far as the Getterback goes, you will probably getter back, but it will be a conservation piece only most likely.

It looks funny but makes sense if you are going after difficult shots over water.

Reactions: MrMavic
I just ordered these Polystyrene Foam balls from LaCrafts
$7.00 + $7.00 shipping $14.00 Total for 12 balls - 3 sets
That's only $4.66 per set. Paint them different colors for the mood of the day ... LOL

DESCRIPTION ...
Please note, this is a polystyrene smooth foam ball, not Styrofoam branded balls. This is a great product at 1/3 the price of Styrofoam balls. This product is also known as smooth foam as opposed to Styrofoam which is very rough. Great for craft projects. This item is ultra light but takes up space, therefore there is a minimal charge for shipping.

Order Here:
4'' Pelotas de Foam (12)

Screen Shot 2017-03-16 at 6.43.54 AM.png

Last edited:
I just ordered these Polystyrene Foam balls from LaCrafts
$7.00 + $7.00 shipping $14.00 Total for 12 balls - 3 sets
That's only $4.66 per set. Paint them different colors for the mood of the day ... LOL

DESCRIPTION ...
Please note, this is a polystyrene smooth foam ball, not Styrofoam branded balls. This is a great product at 1/3 the price of Styrofoam balls. This product is also known as smooth foam as opposed to Styrofoam which is very rough. Great for craft projects. This item is ultra light but takes up space, therefore there is a minimal charge for shipping.

Order Here:
4'' Pelotas de Foam (12)

View attachment 8631
Did you have working floats for your Mavic now? Let's see your finished design!

While it undoubtedly will save your MP from drowning in the event of a water landing/crash, I would think that because the cross sectional area of the MP has now more than doubled, the effect of wind and drag will cause the motors to operate much more to maintain steady flight/hover resulting in less flying time since the battery will need to work harder to supply the motors.

While it undoubtedly will save your MP from drowning in the event of a water landing/crash, I would think that because the cross sectional area of the MP has now more than doubled, the effect of wind and drag will cause the motors to operate much more to maintain steady flight/hover resulting in less flying time since the battery will need to work harder to supply the motors.
I would consider them cheap insurance, to be installed prior to short flights over water. A clever idea; I'd be interested in any unanticipated consequence reports from people using them.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
testtest