DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Ottawa toughens rules for operating recreational drones

An
Interim Order Respecting the Use of Model Aircraft - Transport Canada

Bascally, you can't fly your drone anywhere but a beach or open field.

Prohibitions
(5) (1) A person must not operate a model aircraft

1. (a) at an altitude greater than 300 feet AGL;
  2. (b) at a lateral distance of less than 250 feet (75m) from buildings, structures, vehicles, vessels, animals and the public including spectators, bystanders or any person not associated with the operation of the aircraft;
  3. (c) within 9 km of the centre of an aerodrome;
  4. (d) within controlled airspace;
  5. (e) within restricted airspace;
  6. (f) over or within a forest fire area, or any area that is located within 9 km of a forest fire area;
  7. (g) over or within the security perimeter of a police or first responder emergency operation site;
  8. (h) over or within an open-air assembly of persons;
  9. (i) at night; or
  10. (j) in cloud.

And FFS, first it's imperial, then it's imperial (metric), then metric. You think a former astronaut could pick a unit system and stick with it.

Does anyone know if a recreational user can obtain an SFOC or is that only for commercial pilots? I don't currently have a business but would like to in the future. I received the SFOC application from TC but it asks for a business name, which I obviously don't have. I would like to hone my skills prior to starting my business but how do I legally do that with these new laws?

Reactions: tyeung
This is one of the primary reasons. This clip was filmed in restricted flight zone where there is a flight path for Harbour Air.

Mavic Pro - Downtown Vancouver

[/QUOTE]

Unfortunately, based on the new legislation - the entire downtown Vancouver peninsula is considered a restricted flight zone - BUT where this was shot is actually completely OPPOSITE of where harbour air seaplanes fly and the last flights are 6pm. There will never ever ever be a sea plane flying over science world and a majority of this footage is over false creek (almost all of it save for the parts above science world). Then again, this was filmed at night which is also against the law and given its false creek, there would have been all sorts of animals within 75 meters. So, regardless of "flight danger" which there would never be (where the seaplanes land is in the distance where you can see the lions gate bridge, its in coal harbour on the opposite side of BC place and planes do not fly at night), according to the law, this great night video would be illegal for a recreational pilot. Guessing this was filmed by a commercial videographer given the watermark so they may have obtained an SFOC but it's a great example of our city at night and would definitely inspire people to shoot similar.

Very disappointing how they are approaching this. All of Vancouver and Richmond are now no-fly zones because of the "proximity to aerodromes or animals or people or buildings".

Buy a Dobby Zerotech drone for $500. Its 200 grams and falls under the 250 gram weight for these rules. Have it handy and if someone complains about your Mavic, land it, pull out the Dobby and say its just this toy which is ok. (99% of non drone flyers will have no clue which is which) Sure the Dobby is a POS compared to the Mavic but its a great cover. Which is part of the hypocrisy, would you rather have a high tech sophisticated 750 gram drone flying above you (the MP) or a 200 gram squirrelly one (Dobby). Well, neither if they're close, but my vote is for power and control.

Unfortunately, based on the new legislation - the entire downtown Vancouver peninsula is considered a restricted flight zone - BUT where this was shot is actually completely OPPOSITE of where harbour air seaplanes fly and the last flights are 6pm. There will never ever ever be a sea plane flying over science world and a majority of this footage is over false creek (almost all of it save for the parts above science world). Then again, this was filmed at night which is also against the law and given its false creek, there would have been all sorts of animals within 75 meters. So, regardless of "flight danger" which there would never be (where the seaplanes land is in the distance where you can see the lions gate bridge, its in coal harbour on the opposite side of BC place and planes do not fly at night), according to the law, this great night video would be illegal for a recreational pilot. Guessing this was filmed by a commercial videographer given the watermark so they may have obtained an SFOC but it's a great example of our city at night and would definitely inspire people to shoot similar.

Very disappointing how they are approaching this. All of Vancouver and Richmond are now no-fly zones because of the "proximity to aerodromes or animals or people or buildings".[/QUOTE]
He's flying near the VGH helipad so there I see a problem as they fly at night. I've done the same and now stay away from downtown core and try to keep flying over the water....but still its illegal now..so doesn't matter...****!

If you haven't already, please sign..We will have power to change the law that is reasonable so it doesn't scrap the hobby which this new law

Just to be clear, it's not a law; it's an interim order that TC is allowed to issue while the regulations are crafted and consulted on. We may want to start by seeing what is proposed for the regulations here:

CARAC Activity Details

Beyond that, start contacting your MP and start pointing out the asinine aspects of this interim order (i.e. the 75m lateral offset from basically anything except plant based or geological in nature).

Just to be clear, it's not a law; it's an interim order that TC is allowed to issue while the regulations are crafted and consulted on. We may want to start by seeing what is proposed for the regulations here:

CARAC Activity Details

Beyond that, start contacting your MP and start pointing out the asinine aspects of this interim order (i.e. the 75m lateral offset from basically anything except plant based or geological in nature).
Its an interim law , they said it the news conference, its active now until they make a permanent law. So if its a interim order or interim law, the effects are the same. You can be fined now up to $3,000.00 so for me that is an active law

Its an interim law , they said it the news conference, its active now until they make a permanent law. So if its a interim order or interim law, the effects are the same. You can be fined now up to $3,000.00 so for me that is an active law

What the order states is that TC will give you a notice of the particulars of your contravention and give you the option to pay a fine or have your case reviewed by a tribunal. What TC will have a hard time proving to you ( and to a court of law for that matter) is that you were:

A). Higher than 90 m
B). Within 75 m laterally of anything
C). You are 500 m from your craft

Who has the reliable means to prove any of these things?

I'm in agreement with the order in that you want to protect other aircraft from something catastrophic and not cause injury to the public. That's great! However I find some of the prohibitions make the order overreaching and unreasonable. Enough so, that alot of Canucks on this board want to sell up because we've been made to feel like pariahs.

I'd say the most of us bought into this because we want to have a bit of fun flying and showing our friends and family some great photos and videos. That's what I want to continue doing. I'll abide by the order, but very willing to challenge the stupidity of it too.

What the order states is that TC will give you a notice of the particulars of your contravention and give you the option to pay a fine or have your case reviewed by a tribunal. What TC will have a hard time proving to you ( and to a court of law for that matter) is that you were:

A). Higher than 90 m
B). Within 75 m laterally of anything
C). You are 500 m from your craft

Who has the reliable means to prove any of these things?

I'm in agreement with the order in that you want to protect other aircraft from something catastrophic and not cause injury to the public. That's great! However I find some of the prohibitions make the order overreaching and unreasonable. Enough so, that alot of Canucks on this board want to sell up because we've been made to feel like pariahs.

I'd say the most of us bought into this because we want to have a bit of fun flying and showing our friends and family some great photos and videos. That's what I want to continue doing. I'll abide by the order, but very willing to challenge the stupidity of it too.
I see what you are saying but time is now to deal with a gov that has the wrong idea and zero education on the majority of drone owners. Garneau is bent on subduing the industry over fear af major disasters , now that is scary and he needs to e stopped

Sure, let's get these hashtags rolling:

#HadfieldforMinTC
#MetricOrImperialMarcYouWereAnAstronaughtFFS
#ThatMooseHasATapeMeasure

Sure, let's get these hashtags rolling:

#HadfieldforMinTC
#MetricOrImperialMarcYouWereAnAstronaughtFFS
#ThatMooseHasATapeMeasure
I just want the petition to go viral ..it's just under 200 signatures and I bet uoi only 5 percent of drone operator's have seen it ..if any ideas ?

Isn't this really about the government pandering to popular culture & being seen to take action.
Making these statements & inventing these laws is an easy win - it costs them very little & many people will think it's great - our government is taking action therefore we like the government.
It's a disease of modern times & one of the side effects is it's killing our hobby & unfortunately we are a small minority with a non-existent or insiginificant heritage.

Reactions: Derodeo
Signed the petition. Nothing to lose....except my entire hobby. Also taken down nearly all my youtube videos, dozens, rather than shining a light on myself. This law will force the sport literally under the radar when it should be supported and developed in a safe productive way. Maddening beaurocratic overreach.

Just saw this video posted on one of the Facebook groups:

It's a good deconstruction of the order (from an American) that opines on what is reasonable and what is not. True enough, a regulation in line with the FAA's would make more sense.

So start writing your letters to Marc Garneau and explain to him where this interim order fails.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Schmidteh121