Ottawa toughens rules for operating recreational drones

Discussion in 'sUAV Rules & Regulations' started by Steve1966, Mar 16, 2017.

1. phaeton

phaeton Well-Known Member

What I could see happening is, sure they can't nail you on exceeding the distance limits, but if you're not labeled with name, phone # and address; BAM, you've got a fine coming your way. So I'd suggest putting the label on your bird if you think you're going to be contesting a fine at tribunal.

2. Mustaine4prez

Mustaine4prez Well-Known Member

I just did.
    I was in fact able to still fly farther then 500m however I did not test the 300 feet height because it is incredibly windy today and I don't feel like risking it for a test.
    I'll test it as soon as the wind dies down.

3. Steve1966

Steve1966 Active Member

Great thanks I will still keep my WiFi off till update is posted here and what the details of the updates do

4. Mustaine4prez

Short update.
    I was talking to DJI support today and the persons was not helpful at all. She kept dodging my questions about what was actually updated in the aircraft.
    She told be its nothing to worry about and that I can ignore the message.
    Obviously I'm not satisfied with that as an answer to my question so I asked her to elaborate a bit and simply linked me to Canada's new regulations but not actually answering the **** question of what exactly was updated.

I then got frustrated and requested to speak to someone who knows a little more about the software side of things. She simply directed me to the dev teams email.
    So I sent my email to dji's dev team and await there response.

I'll keep you guys posted.

5. Mustaine4prez

I bet they just updated the DJI no fly zones to 5miles from airports and helipads.

6. Johanna

Johanna Well-Known Member

Having to put my name, address and phone number on my quad denies me my right to privacy. A registration number would make more sense. I think they should just make it a requirement to get a 'licence' to fly just as we do for cars. It annoys me that there is no evidence to back up the 'danger' of quads...just an uninformed knee-jerk reaction by law makers. The most ridiculous part is the $3000 fine...I can drive drunk or distracted, maim or kill people and not get such a stiff fine! The whole thing is so ignorant and reminds me of the long-gun registration fiasco. Canadians said NO, and it eventually went away. Maybe that's where we will end up with this 'law'. Those who disregard the safety of others will continue to do so. Once again the majority are controlled by the minority.

7. phaeton

phaeton Well-Known Member

It's been posted in the other related pages but here:

DJI just released this - NODE (Network Of Drone Enthusiasts). They plan on fighting these harsh regulations and need your help!!! See here: Introducing NODE, a Drone Pilots Advocacy Group

mminardi likes this.
  8. Frits

Frits Well-Known Member

Registered...

9. Steve1966

Steve1966 Active Member

Well I will test mine here at home I am at about 8.7km from 2 airports so I am in the red in both

10. mminardi

mminardi Active Member

I can barely see my drone in the sky while only a few hundred feet away and 100 feet high. How the heck are other people going to see it. I am looking for it and sometimes need my video feed to help me locate myself, only to find that is right above me. I agree with all the reactions to these rules but hardly think that the respectful users of our drones/quadcopters/aircraft will have these issues. Here is a solution to throw the scent of on lookers - have a small RC car or truck on the ground next to you and as you look down when someone nears (and you are silently hovering near by) no one will be the wiser!! lol

Grey Wolf and phaeton like this.
  11. Mustaine4prez

Correct but hard to play dumb to the sound of 1000 bee's hovering up there somewhere.

12. allnamestaken

allnamestaken Member

We have airport restrictions in the USA but can call the Airport Tower directly and request flight clearance. I have done this multiple times with no problems for recreational use. I was however on the outer limits of the circle. Will they allow you to do this in Canada?

13. RWalrond

RWalrond New Member

Not based on the current rules.

14. Kate

Kate Well-Known Member

My vote for best post of the year +1

15. RWalrond

RWalrond New Member

Now these are some ideas that would be an excellent starting point for some rules that make sense.
    Rick Walrond on Twitter

pyjamasam likes this.
  16. E92Vancouver

E92Vancouver Well-Known Member

Yes, I am going to dump mine too. These rules have me depressed. I don't want to fly it anymore. But I still have RC planes I can fly!

17. RWalrond

RWalrond New Member

I never even got a chance to fly mine. I think it's my fault. The government saw how hard I worked to get the Mavic and said, quick pass these laws now before he has time to enjoy his drone. They're always screwing me over, sorry everyone else got caught in the crossfire.

I'm going to hang on until the summer and see what they do before selling.

18. Glasswalker

Glasswalker Active Member

A really interesting youtube video from a Canadian Drone Pilot who does regular videos under the channel "Cruising Off Duty". (it's a sailing channel, where he commonly uses drone footage, but he does a lot of Mavic tech stuff too). Anyway, he also happens to be a Police Officer in Ottawa, and has posted his opinion on these new laws (not sure if he's already a member here, but I've been subscribing to his channel for a while, and was excited to see both a canadian video with some real opinions, but also the real feedback of someone actually in law enforcement in Canada).

19. Grey Wolf

Grey Wolf Well-Known Member