DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Ottawa toughens rules for operating recreational drones

What I could see happening is, sure they can't nail you on exceeding the distance limits, but if you're not labeled with name, phone # and address; BAM, you've got a fine coming your way. So I'd suggest putting the label on your bird if you think you're going to be contesting a fine at tribunal.

Have you tried to fly over the 300 ft or farther then 500m away. I will be shutting off my WiFi on my tab so it will not be updating any more. I seen in last update they increase speed for active track so I am sure they can stop it from being a great drone also. I hope dji just leaves everything the way it is and a message box just pops up taking their responsability away same as when you change max hight above 400ft. Or I will be selling my favorite possession

I just did.
I was in fact able to still fly farther then 500m however I did not test the 300 feet height because it is incredibly windy today and I don't feel like risking it for a test.
I'll test it as soon as the wind dies down.

I just did.
I was in fact able to still fly farther then 500m however I did not test the 300 feet height because it is incredibly windy today and I don't feel like risking it for a test.
I'll test it as soon as the wind dies down.
Great thanks I will still keep my WiFi off till update is posted here and what the details of the updates do

Short update.
I was talking to DJI support today and the persons was not helpful at all. She kept dodging my questions about what was actually updated in the aircraft.
She told be its nothing to worry about and that I can ignore the message.
Obviously I'm not satisfied with that as an answer to my question so I asked her to elaborate a bit and simply linked me to Canada's new regulations but not actually answering the **** question of what exactly was updated.

I then got frustrated and requested to speak to someone who knows a little more about the software side of things. She simply directed me to the dev teams email.
So I sent my email to dji's dev team and await there response.

I'll keep you guys posted.

What I could see happening is, sure they can't nail you on exceeding the distance limits, but if you're not labeled with name, phone # and address; BAM, you've got a fine coming your way. So I'd suggest putting the label on your bird if you think you're going to be contesting a fine at tribunal.
Having to put my name, address and phone number on my quad denies me my right to privacy. A registration number would make more sense. I think they should just make it a requirement to get a 'licence' to fly just as we do for cars. It annoys me that there is no evidence to back up the 'danger' of quads...just an uninformed knee-jerk reaction by law makers. The most ridiculous part is the $3000 fine...I can drive drunk or distracted, maim or kill people and not get such a stiff fine! The whole thing is so ignorant and reminds me of the long-gun registration fiasco. Canadians said NO, and it eventually went away. Maybe that's where we will end up with this 'law'. Those who disregard the safety of others will continue to do so. Once again the majority are controlled by the minority.

I can barely see my drone in the sky while only a few hundred feet away and 100 feet high. How the heck are other people going to see it. I am looking for it and sometimes need my video feed to help me locate myself, only to find that is right above me. I agree with all the reactions to these rules but hardly think that the respectful users of our drones/quadcopters/aircraft will have these issues. Here is a solution to throw the scent of on lookers - have a small RC car or truck on the ground next to you and as you look down when someone nears (and you are silently hovering near by) no one will be the wiser!! lol

I can barely see my drone in the sky while only a few hundred feet away and 100 feet high. How the heck are other people going to see it. I am looking for it and sometimes need my video feed to help me locate myself, only to find that is right above me. I agree with all the reactions to these rules but hardly think that the respectful users of our drones/quadcopters/aircraft will have these issues. Here is a solution to throw the scent of on lookers - have a small RC car or truck on the ground next to you and as you look down when someone nears (and you are silently hovering near by) no one will be the wiser!! lol

Correct but hard to play dumb to the sound of 1000 bee's hovering up there somewhere.

Reactions: kennedye
d9b19fec267947aead8e79dbfb0002e6.jpg

I hope this gives a pic of my screen shot.

This is setup to 9 km radius from airports. And the marker is where I live so now I can't even fly at home.

I will confess my mavic has always been set to 120 meters which I will change to 90 meters.
We have airport restrictions in the USA but can call the Airport Tower directly and request flight clearance. I have done this multiple times with no problems for recreational use. I was however on the outer limits of the circle. Will they allow you to do this in Canada?

We have airport restrictions in the USA but can call the Airport Tower directly and request flight clearance. I have done this multiple times with no problems for recreational use. I was however on the outer limits of the circle. Will they allow you to do this in Canada?

Not based on the current rules.

My dear Canucks. From a Yankee who has lived through, and seen everything from 1951, when I first was able to read news, just sit the **** down and chill. In my home state of Louisiana, where my forebears settled after being kicked out of Quebec and were turned away from English colonies, and States, when those became a Thing, because their government, France, lost a war with England, politicians have made fodder of peoples' customs, pasttimes, and vices. They love nothing so much as anything a minority of the people are attracted to, and, as we say here, making their bones on it. Example, do a bit of research into the reaction of the public, and contrastingly, of politicians, of Elvis, in 1955. While Catholic parishes were holding Bingo games in Louisiana in church halls, the Attorney General, Grevenberg was directing State Police to use AXES to destroy slot machines, after inviting newspaper photographers to accompany them on raids. Next morning, in the Times Picayune, and almost every paper in the state-uniformed goons holding axes aloft. Bingo, Good, Slots, Bad.

Earlier today, on another thread, I stated that drone operators form a User's Group, and pay dues, the purpose of which, was to retain legal counsel to combat the newest Idiocracy in our midst. Yes, the public will get negative reactions to media reports, people will tend to believe anything they see in print. The morons who mis-represent dangers to society to further their own ambitions are as transparent as a trout stream, but Canada and the United States, at least now, before it's brought down by the election by a misinformed electorate, by the biggest moron in our times, do still have human rights representatives, in the form of lawyers at court, to shield us from the horrors we are seeing in Turkey, Iran, Egypt, and many other countries. Form up, defend your rights and privileges. And **** 'em!

My vote for best post of the year +1

Yes, I am going to dump mine too. These rules have me depressed. I don't want to fly it anymore. But I still have RC planes I can fly!
I never even got a chance to fly mine. I think it's my fault. The government saw how hard I worked to get the Mavic and said, quick pass these laws now before he has time to enjoy his drone. They're always screwing me over, sorry everyone else got caught in the crossfire.

I'm going to hang on until the summer and see what they do before selling.

A really interesting youtube video from a Canadian Drone Pilot who does regular videos under the channel "Cruising Off Duty". (it's a sailing channel, where he commonly uses drone footage, but he does a lot of Mavic tech stuff too). Anyway, he also happens to be a Police Officer in Ottawa, and has posted his opinion on these new laws (not sure if he's already a member here, but I've been subscribing to his channel for a while, and was excited to see both a canadian video with some real opinions, but also the real feedback of someone actually in law enforcement in Canada).

Reactions: Mustaine4prez
Why doesn't Transport Canada regulate RC cars? There are RC cars that can go 160 km an hour out of the box that would easily break an ankle in a collision. These vehicles are driven on streets and are almost always around cars, people and dogs.

They now have 1/5th scale RC trucks.

We can sponsor refugee families fleeing the US to the tune of $60,000 a year while the easily walk across the border and the Government does absolutely nothing. But if I fly my drone over a squirrel or seagull people are suppose to call 911 right away and they will fine me $3,000.

I can't wait until the next election. I will say goodbye to Trudeau and his neophytes.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bahamaboy242