DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Panoramic Photo app for iOS that actually works?

ckizer

Reactions
Any panoramic photo apps for iOS that actually work? I tried a pano one but it never saved the file. Would be nice if it had portrait mode support.

Is the one that comes with the ios not enough?

I'm referring to one for my mavic drone. Not for my iPhone :) an App I can download from the app store that controls the mavic and stitches the photos together. There are a few but they are outdated.

FPV Camera app has both Panorama and Pano-Waypoint modes compatible with the latest Mavic firmware. You can save pano mission and repeat the exact same mission again. It also supports Custom pano parameters (as shown below) while you can shoot with portrait mode. I shot 3-row x 12-column in portrait mode, and it went very well. I'm curious why you want to shoot in portrait mode?

IMG_1107_800.jpg

Custom: Allow custom configuration with flexible parameters below.
  • Pano Order (By Column | By Row): Select panorama shot order either By Column (column-by-column) or By Row (row-by-row). By Column (default) is more efficient in general by reducing the number of times of aircraft yaw.
  • Row (1..10): Select number of required rows from 1 to 10, and it shows the angle between rows for specified camera angle of Tilt Start and End. The angle should be approximately 2/3 of camera vertical FOV (as shown below) to ensure sufficient overlap for stitching in post processing.
  • Column (3..24): Select number of required columns from 3 to 24, and it shows the angle between columns for specified panoramic Width. The angle should be approximately 2/3 of camera horizontal FOV (as shown below) to ensure sufficient overlap for stitching in post processing.
    e.g. ~30°-35° (46.8° * 2/3) for Mavic
  • Width (360° | 10°..355°): Set 360° for panoramic shot or from 10° to 355° for non-360 panoramic shot. Every 360° shot starts from 0° (North). Non-360 shot is centered at the current aircraft bearing, which is very useful for panoramic wide landscape.
    e.g. ~40°-45° (62.4° * 2/3) for Mavic
  • Tilt Start/End (+30°..-90°): Set gimbal start/end tilting range. Tilt Start is set to 0° (default) and End is set to -70° (default) which is usually good enough to cover straight down by vertical FOV.
  • Delay Before Yaw/Tilt (0..30 seconds): Delay before shooting AFTER aircraft yaw (3 seconds by default) and/or camera tilt (1 second by default) whichever is longer. When aircraft yaw to a specific angle, camera/gimbal might take a few seconds catching up to such angle gently. This is designed to wait until the camera staying steadily after aircraft yaw, especially shooting in the evening with long exposure.
  • Delay After (0..30 seconds): Delay after shooting (1 second by default).
  • Nadir (On/Off): Enable/disable shooting a nadir image.

Last edited:
Reactions: ckizer
FPV Camera app has both Panorama and Pano-Waypoint modes compatible with the latest Mavic firmware. You can save pano mission and repeat the exact same mission again. It also supports Custom pano parameters (as shown below) while you can shoot with portrait mode. I shot 3-row x 12-column in portrait mode, and it went very well. I'm curious why you want to shoot in portrait mode?

IMG_1107_800.jpg

Custom: Allow custom configuration with flexible parameters below.
  • Pano Order (By Column | By Row): Select panorama shot order either By Column (column-by-column) or By Row (row-by-row). By Column (default) is more efficient in general by reducing the number of times of aircraft yaw.
  • Row (1..10): Select number of required rows from 1 to 10, and it shows the angle between rows for specified camera angle of Tilt Start and End. The angle should be approximately 2/3 of camera vertical FOV (as shown below) to ensure sufficient overlap for stitching in post processing.
  • Column (3..24): Select number of required columns from 3 to 24, and it shows the angle between columns for specified panoramic Width. The angle should be approximately 2/3 of camera horizontal FOV (as shown below) to ensure sufficient overlap for stitching in post processing.
    e.g. ~30°-35° (46.8° * 2/3) for Mavic
  • Width (360° | 10°..355°): Set 360° for panoramic shot or from 10° to 355° for non-360 panoramic shot. Every 360° shot starts from 0° (North). Non-360 shot is centered at the current aircraft bearing, which is very useful for panoramic wide landscape.
    e.g. ~40°-45° (62.4° * 2/3) for Mavic
  • Tilt Start/End (+30°..-90°): Set gimbal start/end tilting range. Tilt Start is set to 0° (default) and End is set to -70° (default) which is usually good enough to cover straight down by vertical FOV.
  • Delay Before Yaw/Tilt (0..30 seconds): Delay before shooting AFTER aircraft yaw (3 seconds by default) and/or camera tilt (1 second by default) whichever is longer. When aircraft yaw to a specific angle, camera/gimbal might take a few seconds catching up to such angle gently. This is designed to wait until the camera staying steadily after aircraft yaw, especially shooting in the evening with long exposure.
  • Delay After (0..30 seconds): Delay after shooting (1 second by default).
  • Nadir (On/Off): Enable/disable shooting a nadir image.
Awesome I'll give this a try

Looks like a nice app, but $22 seems a bit high. I wish there were a "lite" version that just had the pano functions. I'd pay $9.99 for that.

Hangar 360, free and easy to use. Click to take off and rise to 100m height, takes pics and then asks to land. So after two clicks your are back on the ground and ready to download the pics from the Mavic and send those to Hangar servers for stitching. A few minutes later your pano is ready.

This is my first test: Hangar 360 Photo

Hangar 360, free and easy to use. Click to take off and rise to 100m height, takes pics and then asks to land. So after two clicks your are back on the ground and ready to download the pics from the Mavic and send those to Hangar servers for stitching. A few minutes later your pano is ready.

This is my first test: Hangar 360 Photo

Hey this looks really cool!

Heads up: the new 550 FW does not solve the issues with most 3rd party apps like Hangar360, AutoPilot, Litchi...

You need to use FW older than 400!

I quote Hangar's support:
We just tested out the newest firmware released by DJI for the Mavic Pro - v01.03.0550. Unfortunately, this release did not resolve the firmware issue. The current list for the affected firmware is: v01.03.0550, v01.03.0500, v01.03.0400.

We do not recommend* using Autopilot if you are using these versions of firmware.

Heads up: the new 550 FW does not solve the issues with most 3rd party apps like Hangar360, AutoPilot, Litchi...

You need to use FW older than 400!

I quote Hangar's support:
We just tested out the newest firmware released by DJI for the Mavic Pro - v01.03.0550. Unfortunately, this release did not resolve the firmware issue. The current list for the affected firmware is: v01.03.0550, v01.03.0500, v01.03.0400.

We do not recommend* using Autopilot if you are using these versions of firmware.

Thanks. I won't use Hanger either. Looks like all 3rd party apps are broken.

It's a pity because these apps are really good. Looks like DJI has an hidden agenda not solving this issue in 2 updates. Maybe these companies became too good?

rcpano, 1,99 Euros in App store is the app you must try
I just tried rcpano, and it's fairly nice. I like the fact that it can optimize the number of shots depending on gimbal angle (don't need as many the farther down you go). I wish it had a column-then-row strategy, because I think it would be faster. In Litchi, choosing this strategy speeds it up considerably, not having to yaw between every photo.

Reactions: ckizer
I just tried rcpano, and it's fairly nice. I like the fact that it can optimize the number of shots depending on gimbal angle (don't need as many the farther down you go). I wish it had a column-then-row strategy, because I think it would be faster. In Litchi, choosing this strategy speeds it up considerably, not having to yaw between every photo.

Tested RC Pano today and it did a great job. It took 3 exposures for each shot (by default)

I figured out this workflow after purchasing Aurora HDR 2017 for Mac. It's awesome and you should definitely buy if you work with HDR.

1) Give Aurora HDR your folder of images from RCPano
2) It will merge the bracketed exposures down to HDR photos
3) Use GigaPano or panorama software to then create the pano

Last edited:
Another vote for rcPano. I just tried it and it works with the latest Mavic firmware.
It rotates around the Mavic's camera, rather than just around the center of the Mavic. I'm not aware of any other apps that do that.
It also has a sensitivity setting so you can choose speed over accuracy--in windy conditions it will take time between each shot to try and position itself accurately despite being blown off course.
I'm very happy with the app.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000