DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Part 107 Question

Lam Nguyen

Reactions
So I just recently passed the Part 107 test. My question is I didn't receive any certificate or card to prove that I am licensed.

After I passed the test, the exam location gave me a scoresheet with a stamp and a punched in seal? But nothing with a license # or etc... I'm confused on what I have to do now... Can someone help me out and elaborate more on this?

SoapyGolem, no not inherently. You can apply for a waiver with the FAA to fly at night, but the Part 107 certification is primarily to be able to fly the drone for commercial purposes.

I also have my part 107 license and looking at applying for a few waivers, would anyone have any insight on that process in being successful? I know a couple farmers and have some friends in real estate that I might be able to get paid from. These are the waivers I would like to apply for:
107.29 Daylight operation - plan on using several STROBON Cree® Standalone leds
107.31 Visual line of sight aircraft operation - for the several acre farms
107.33 Visual observer
107.39 Operation over people - for photography and aerial wedding shots from a safe distance
107.41 Operation in certain airspace - there are so many airports and Heliports in Columbus, Ohio

Reactions: Tok Pilot
I also have my part 107 license and looking at applying for a few waivers, would anyone have any insight on that process in being successful?

From everything I have heard, what the FAA most wants to know is how you will mitigate the risk that the rule is designed to eliminate. If they think your mitigating controls are sufficient, they will grant it. Remember that 107 applies to all types of UAS, not just quads, and DJI products already mitigate some of the risks inherently.

107.31 Visual line of sight aircraft operation - for the several acre farms
107.33 Visual observer

I'd think that stating that there are not and will not be people in the area of operations during these flights and that they are enclosed, single-owner properties that a given flight will remain within would be a reasonable mitigating control. Also describe how you would set RTH above all obstacles, and how RTH is automatically initiated in the event of loss of control signal or low battery condition, etc.. All the things that make a DJI product safer than, say, a dumb quad with a GoPro strapped to it.

107.39 Operation over people - for photography and aerial wedding shots from a safe distance
If you are a safe distance away, then wouldn't you NOT be over people? I'm confused.

107.41 Operation in certain airspace - there are so many airports and Heliports in Columbus, Ohio

I took a brief look at the sectional and it appears that the only restricted airspace is the inner Class C 48/SFC at Columbus Intl and some Class D at the airports immediately surrounding it. The rest appears to be mostly Class E starting at 700'. You'll likely have to approach these on a case-by-case basis - which is the sticky widget for 107 pilots right now.

cmhairspace.JPG

Reactions: TraysUp
After the test is passed and your application to ICARA is complete - it will move to a status that says transferred to registry and you will receive a temporary certificate via email. A couple of weeks later, the actual mail with your certificate will arrive. The temp. is good enough to use while waiting. Good luck!

From everything I have heard, what the FAA most wants to know is how you will mitigate the risk that the rule is designed to eliminate. If they think your mitigating controls are sufficient, they will grant it. Remember that 107 applies to all types of UAS, not just quads, and DJI products already mitigate some of the risks inherently.

I'd think that stating that there are not and will not be people in the area of operations during these flights and that they are enclosed, single-owner properties that a given flight will remain within would be a reasonable mitigating control. Also describe how you would set RTH above all obstacles, and how RTH is automatically initiated in the event of loss of control signal or low battery condition, etc.. All the things that make a DJI product safer than, say, a dumb quad with a GoPro strapped to it.

If you are a safe distance away, then wouldn't you NOT be over people? I'm confused.

I took a brief look at the sectional and it appears that the only restricted airspace is the inner Class C 48/SFC at Columbus Intl and some Class D at the airports immediately surrounding it. The rest appears to be mostly Class E starting at 700'. You'll likely have to approach these on a case-by-case basis - which is the sticky widget for 107 pilots right now.

View attachment 5995

Thank you this helps greatly! With flying over people I've heard from others that being 20ft above and 20ft away was standard for this. So I didn't quite understand that when the whole purpose is to fly over them. To make it safer I could see adding the propeller cages so that at least if something did go wrong at least the propellers theoretically wouldn't hurt anyone hopefully.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

How long does the regular certificate take in the mail? I passed on December 13 and I still haven't received mine.

Also, what does the "real" certificate look like? Is it just a piece of paper or is it like a credit card/driver's license?

I'm still waiting on mine, got the emailed printout a few weeks afterward though.

Thanks... I actually ended up getting mine in the mail the day after I posted this (what a coincidence). It is like a driver's license or a credit card, with a magnetic strip on the back. Pretty cool looking actually. You can google for pictures of it.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AASHIANAPC