DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Passing the Part 107

Wish there was a different quiz then the one on 3DR because that one doesnt give an overall grade.

Using the Remote Pilot app, I get around 78 to 87. Should I pass? I miss the weird questions about like dew point and stuff like that.
I would go to the FAA Site ( https://3dr.com/faa/ ) and take the practice test they there, it's 126 questions. You need to get a 70% correct to pass is my understanding.

Wish there was a different quiz then the one on 3DR because that one doesnt give an overall grade.
Just divide the number of questions you get right by the total number of questions you answered. In my case 116 right out of 126 questions = 92%

Just divide the number of questions you get right by the total number of questions you answered. In my case 116 right out of 126 questions = 92%
Yea, I just have alot of them memorized at this point. I need to sit down for an hour and just do them and see what I score.

If this is in the wrong area, please move it.

So I am in college and broke (like most young adults are). I have just enough money to take my part 107, but not enough to pay for a study guide. Now, I know some people may just say "oh just get a job" but its hard to go to an employer and say "Hi, I would like a job for about 3 weeks until I can make $100 for a study guide to help me not work here".

With that, I will ask, is a study guide necessary? I am fairly smart (on the SAT I scored around 1300 two part, but this is irrelevant to anyone who hasnt taken it in the past 4 years.) and know a fairly decent amount about this stuff already. I made a 60 on the first practice test I took without even studying.

Some of you may say "go get a 'traditional' job" or something to that effect, but thats not going to happen. Especially since I have a $1300 drone sitting beside me.

So for those of you who did pass it, should I get a study guide? I want to take my test next weekend.

I've taken a zillion FAA tests for flight ratings and I've been studying the material reference in this thread by MSinger, I can assure you this is the real boring FAA BS study guide format. Right down to the little "chapter review" tests (quote marks my own). FAA doesn't exactly hit you with trick questions, but they have clever ways of ensuring you understand the information by providing choices that are really close, but not spot on, so be forewarned. And SAT scores be damned, the preliminary discussion even warns against a comparison with DMV tests, and by implication other tests. If you're up against it because of time restraints, the suggestion given in this thread shows creative thinking, and is your best way to go. As always.

Yea, I just have alot of them memorized at this point. I need to sit down for an hour and just do them and see what I score.
I have also seen several YouTube videos from various drone enthusiasts that have take the Part 107 test with tips for those who want to take the test.

Reactions: allnamestaken
Ok, so on the long 126 question practice, I made a 87 (107 of 126) and on the phone app I make between 78 and 85 depending on the weather questions (still dont understand why I need to know what conditions fog forms, I got an app for that).

Ok, so on the long 126 question practice, I made a 87 (107 of 126) and on the phone app I make between 78 and 85 depending on the weather questions (still dont understand why I need to know what conditions fog forms, I got an app for that).
If you are doing that well you should be in great shape.

I passed with the following, all free information:

FAA Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge, downloaded for free.
Remote Pilot Study Guide, PDF downloaded free from the FAA website.
UAG sample exam, downloaded free from the FAA website.
The supplement which goes with the study guide.
A sample sectional chart. Atlanta, SEC 96, is the name of it, to study and do exercises from.

Study your charts, learn your airspace, and pay attention to the PIC responsibilities and procedures.

If you pass the sample exam, the questions are similar and the logic is the same, not what I would call "trick" questions. Usually the answers are obvious if you know the theory.

You should do fine, the pass rate is close to 90%.

Very good info thanks.

You absolutely do not need to pay for a course. I used only free material and have no pilot background. The already mentioned FAA resources are great, the 3DR practice tests, and the FAA Pilot's Handbook if you want a supplement is only $12 on Amazon. Also look up Cessna Chick's sectional chart reading blog post. Studying all that stuff on my lunch breaks for a month I passed with a 97 in less than a half hour.

I passed both the private pilot and instrument written tests without taking a ground school. All I did was read a bunch of books as this was way before this fancy new internet thing.

I watched a ton of YouTube videos about the test and many of them reference free study materials. I downloaded them or bookmarked the sites for when I feel I'm good enough to try to make some spare change with this thing.

As a college student you should be good at retaining information you read in a book.

Yes...I think the FAA is going a bit overboard with some weather questions. As a part 61 rated pilot weather is important because you can fly up in the weather and fly hundreds of miles from your departure. While flying a drone I have to keep it in my line of site which mean I can see the weather I will be flying in. If the weather deteriorates mid flight, I can land in seconds.

Things like icing questions are certainly applicable but cloud types, fronts and most of the weather report/forecast reading are plain silly.

Reactions: RC5728
Yes...I think the FAA is going a bit overboard with some weather questions. As a part 61 rated pilot weather is important because you can fly up in the weather and fly hundreds of miles from your departure. While flying a drone I have to keep it in my line of site which mean I can see the weather I will be flying in. If the weather deteriorates mid flight, I can land in seconds.

Things like icing questions are certainly applicable but cloud types, fronts and most of the weather report/forecast reading are plain silly.

Not if you're flying in the mountains. I've see things go from clear sky to zero visibility or thunderstorms in only a few minutes.

I have no past pilot experience and studied from nothing but YouTube and a few online study guides a few days before I test was administered... I'm not a very "book smart" person and I passed it just fine. You'll do great guy. Just know your charts and notams

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N915A using Tapatalk

Not if you're flying in the mountains. I've see things go from clear sky to zero visibility or thunderstorms in only a few minutes.

I spend considerable time in the Sierra's since I live at the base of them and I have seen the weather change quickly but it's never so quickly that I couldn't get my drone back from limits of LOS back for a safe landing quick enough. What is the limit of LOS 1/4 - 1/3 of a mile? Some claim more but are not obeying the FAA definition of LOS that you need to be able to see the attitude of your craft. No....I'm not judging these folks.

Maybe the FAA added this testing requirement because they knew they were going to relax the VLOS rules down the road under certain circumstances. Hope so as there's plenty of examples where this can be done safely.

Reactions: SteelFlyer

FAA only allows line of sight flying (not sure how far you can see the drone) and it flys at 40mph.

So say your a mile away (which I know I can't see my Mavic at that distance) and I flip sports mode and bring it home at 40mph. Thats 1.5 min (doing the math) with no wind. I think its a bit far fetched to say most drone pilots following the FAA rules (which your taking their test, so we will assume that... even though we all go beyond that sometimes) will go from clear skys to thunderstorm faster then you can get back home.

I spend considerable time in the Sierra's since I live at the base of them and I have seen the weather change quickly but it's never so quickly that I couldn't get my drone back from limits of LOS back for a safe landing quick enough. What is the limit of LOS 1/4 - 1/3 of a mile? Some claim more but are not obeying the FAA definition of LOS that you need to be able to see the attitude of your craft. No....I'm not judging these folks.

Maybe the FAA added this testing requirement because they knew they were going to relax the VLOS rules down the road under certain circumstances. Hope so as there's plenty of examples where this can be done safely.

I agree that I think the Part 107 license as it stands now is just the beginning and we will see the FAA come up with additional pilot ratings that will allow operation beyond VLOS and potentially above 400'. That's one reason I got my license - to be prepared to add these ratings.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

I took my test about 2 months ago. I did use the Drone Pilot School for studying and found it very informative. I only have flight simulator experience and the sectional charts I needed to study quite hard. The weather portion was tough for me too, but learn as much as you can.

Here's the thing people don't tell you - there might be more then 60 questions. I had 64 on mine. The FAA adds questions to test out new ones to use at some point in the future. They don't tell you which are the real questions and which are the test questions, so it's hard to try to figure out how well your doing. I did mine on the CAT system and found it good to go back after I was done and review all the questions and answers.

Good luck!

Reactions: DustyVisor
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
miguelmas