DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Passing the Part 107

I took it yesterday and failed. It was more difficult than the pretest app, I used to somewhat study. I did not study very hard.
I think alot of the info online is outdated. I am going to make a write up on how I think the best way to study and pass this exam is.

That's awesome! Congrats! Just out of curiosity what University do you attend?

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots iPhone 7 Plus
Instrument Airplane | Comercial sUAS
I go to Georgia Southern in Statesboro.

I just took, and passed, the 107 last Thursday and didn't pay a dime for online courses. The FAA has most of the resources you'll need. And you can take a course and online practice test. I came across a "drone" attorney with a lot of good study material, also. Look up Rupprecht Law - Jon Rupprecht is his name. Use the 107 Study guide. The maps made up a large portion of my test. Send me an email and I'll forward all the material I used. [email protected]

I was unaware that part 61 holders can get there 107 right away. Can anyone who has a PPL and takin this route confirm this?

Super easy. I did everything last week. If you sit down its possible to knock everything out in a few hours. Also helps if you are current and have had a flight review in the past 24 months.

Here is the link to the FAA website. Complete the review slides and then take the test. I missed one question on the test and it gives you an attempt at fixing any incorrect answers before the final submission. Login - FAA - FAASTeam - FAASafety.gov

The last step is to meet with someone who can issue the remote pilot certificate. I had to create a new application in IACRA before meeting with them. IACRA - Federal Aviation Administration (Main menu -> new application -> pilot -> remote pilot -> complete the information).

Happy flying!

Reactions: iFlyForFun
Super easy. I did everything last week. If you sit down its possible to knock everything out in a few hours. Also helps if you are current and have had a flight review in the past 24 months.

Here is the link to the FAA website. Complete the review slides and then take the test. I missed one question on the test and it gives you an attempt at fixing any incorrect answers before the final submission. Login - FAA - FAASTeam - FAASafety.gov

The last step is to meet with someone who can issue the remote pilot certificate. I had to create a new application in IACRA before meeting with them. IACRA - Federal Aviation Administration (Main menu -> new application -> pilot -> remote pilot -> complete the information).

Happy flying!

Thanks for the info bwall525. Question, other than being able to use a drone for commercial reasons, does obtaining my commercial license(part107) allow me to fly outside of rules governing

Happy flying!

Happy flying!

Thanks for the info bwall525. I fly piper Arrow 200. Still my favorite pastime!
I have a question, I've been reading thru part 107 and trying to wrap my head around the benifits of doing my 107. I see that you are allowed to fly next to a structure that is higher than 400' without authorization. I also noticed that with ATC approval it is possible to fly in controlled airspace. Do you know if this only applies to using the drone commercially( being paid to perform such flights) or if I hold a commercial certificate and am out having fun, can I still perform under the rules of 107? Are their any other benefits that you could fill me in on. Thanks in advance!

The only advantage I know of is that you can fly within five miles of a non towered airport without an instrument approach (Class G) without telling anyone. Non 107 flyers must notify airport operator.

There are several disadvantages to getting a 107:

Hobbyists can fly at night without a waiver providing your uas meets the lighting requirements of an organization like the AMA which are not that stringent.

Hobbyists can fly in controlled airspace by simply notifying the airport operator and ATC. Clearance is not required but they can deem your flight unsafe. Most flyers have had good experiences with this. As a 107 pilot getting a waiver to fly in controlled airspace can take up to 90 days, although it's usually shorter if the paperwork is filled out properly. The FAA is working to automate this process and make clearance immediate via an app on your phone.

Reactions: iFlyForFun
Thanks for the info bwall525. Question, other than being able to use a drone for commercial reasons, does obtaining my commercial license(part107) allow me to fly outside of rules governing

Thanks for the info bwall525. I fly piper Arrow 200. Still my favorite pastime!
I have a question, I've been reading thru part 107 and trying to wrap my head around the benifits of doing my 107. I see that you are allowed to fly next to a structure that is higher than 400' without authorization. I also noticed that with ATC approval it is possible to fly in controlled airspace. Do you know if this only applies to using the drone commercially( being paid to perform such flights) or if I hold a commercial certificate and am out having fun, can I still perform under the rules of 107? Are their any other benefits that you could fill me in on. Thanks in advance!
No, it adds additional restrictions that don't apply to hobbyists, ie. night flying and individual drone registration requirements vs single registration for all aircraft for hobbyists. If you are just out having fun 107 does not apply. The differences are easily found at the FAA website.

Using the Remote Pilot app, I get around 78 to 87. Should I pass? I miss the weird questions about like dew point and stuff like that.
passing score is 70% correct out of 63 questions. the actual test has 63 they added three question to test for their future use, and those 3 don't count towards your final score BUT they don't tell which those are?? so to be safe you would want to get at least 46 out of the total 63 answers correct. I studied fairly hard and even though I regularly scored 92-96% on my practice test I strained to get 87% on the real one I took this Monday. what is a Convective SIGMET ?

I suppose you should have prayed harder.:rolleyes:
Bummer, They change the questions every test, many remain the same, but I saw several I have never even seen remotely addressed in study material....What is a Convective SIGMET ???

Yeah, I got it right by guessing on the Convective clue but did not see that info on any of my study info.....

Bummer, They change the questions every test, many remain the same, but I saw several I have never even seen remotely addressed in study material....What is a Convective SIGMET ???

A significant meteorological warning, notifying of strong convective activity that may endanger airplanes.
In laymen's terms, strong thunderstorms.

A significant meteorological warning, notifying of strong convective activity that may endanger airplanes.
In laymen's terms, strong thunderstorms.
Acually, Strong lines of Tornadoes or Thunderstorms that can prove dangerous for even the largest commercial aircraft....

I just took, and passed, the 107 last Thursday and didn't pay a dime for online courses. The FAA has most of the resources you'll need. And you can take a course and online practice test. I came across a "drone" attorney with a lot of good study material, also. Look up Rupprecht Law - Jon Rupprecht is his name. Use the 107 Study guide. The maps made up a large portion of my test. Send me an email and I'll forward all the material I used. [email protected]
Hi I have downloaded some from FAA site. I also email you.

To all on this thread, great that you shared your knowledge and information to others.

I hope that my mavic will come soon and like to take this test shortly after.

Thanks again to all,
Charlie

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000